Excellent Herald Article on Wanny | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Excellent Herald Article on Wanny

I strongly disagreed with this article. Here is why:

1) DW is a good guy. But, he is not a good coach. LeBatard made the point about the difference between he and Parcells - but it's Parcells who wins, not Dave.

2) One of his main arguments is that what Norv & Dave did in Dallas won championships. Well: a) that was 10 + years ago and the league has changed dramatically - they know this defense like the back of their hands. b) the players simply aren't given a scheme - either on offense or defense - that fools anyone. They are getting fooled by changing attacks that teams throw at them, but they aren't fooling anyone. There's never been a lot of imagination from the defensive coaches.

3) Dave isn't an inspiring guy. He doesn't communicate well - stumbling over words and not always using them properly; throwing out worn out cliche's. The fact is, if you want to be a coach, you have to communicate. Teams today need a leader; a guy who understands today's players and the buttons that need to be pushed to get them to play beyond their ability. Dave does not push anyone's button.

4) These players were brought here mostly by DW. Especially the offensive ones. The best players on the D were here already (Zach, JT, Surtain).

I have no problem with a guy like JT or Surtain complaining about the coach. Here's why. Those guys have played at a pro bowl level and have done their part. Has Dave coached at a pro bowl level? Hardly! Not even close! He has Pro Bowl players and has coached well below that. If this D had Belichick coaching it, they would be cremating people!

Now, when you combine a guy who does not create fear, who does not have the ability to motivate players to be better, with players he has chosen to be there and who does not have game plans that actually outsmart the other team - that's all on the coaching. LeBatard doesn't know what he's talking about.

What's funny about this article by Le Batard is that after the game Sunday he fired off an article where he put the blame squarely on Wannstedt. In that article he writes:

BLAME WANNSTEDT

You can blame all those Pro Bowl players if you like for underachieving, but they are not only the players Wannstedt brought here but also the ones he can't push enough to overachieve. You can blame the defense for again folding up against a good team, but Wannstedt is the one who keeps pouring dollars into that money-pit defense while neglecting offensive bankruptcy. You can blame the running game if you like, but Wannstedt is the one who had all offseason to find a left tackle and another receiver and came up with a rookie (Wade Smith) and a bust (Derrius Thompson).

Just a bit 2-faced IMO.

Originally posted by relive1972
What's funny about this article by Le Batard is that after the game Sunday he fired off an article where he put the blame squarely on Wannstedt. In that article he writes:

BLAME WANNSTEDT

You can blame all those Pro Bowl players if you like for underachieving, but they are not only the players Wannstedt brought here but also the ones he can't push enough to overachieve. You can blame the defense for again folding up against a good team, but Wannstedt is the one who keeps pouring dollars into that money-pit defense while neglecting offensive bankruptcy. You can blame the running game if you like, but Wannstedt is the one who had all offseason to find a left tackle and another receiver and came up with a rookie (Wade Smith) and a bust (Derrius Thompson).

Just a bit 2-faced IMO.

Yes, that is absolutely comical! Surely someone will pick up on this? Too funny!

Originally posted by Da 'Fins

Yes, that is absolutely comical! Surely someone will pick up on this? Too funny!

Here's Dan Le Bastard's "other" opinion. LOL! This is too funny!

I thought Dan's "first" opinion was very good, but this is where he proves to be a weird guy, saying something totally different and hypercritical the next day.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/columnists/dan_le_batard/7224964.htm

Because this 5-4 team Wannstedt has built looked hopeless and lost and hopelessly lost Sunday afternoon.

And it has never been more difficult to defend Wannstedt than it is this morning, as Bill Parcells somehow wins more with less talent in Dallas and Bill Belichick pulls away from the Dolphins in the AFC East with a ravaged team that is literally limping.

I'm not sure what makes that a great article...

Maybe the players are finally realizing that their coach is a jack-***... I don't blame them for not respecting him, it's his fault if the inmates are running the asylum...

Originally posted by Bumrush
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/7231823.htm

This gives me a different perspective on the situation.
We focus so much on the coaching blunders and not enough on our millionare players that could give a rats *** about whether we win or lose.

I've been saying this alot over this past week. Of course our coaches aren't perfect, but seriously, they are not the ones dropping catchable balls each week, nor are they the ones not blocking each week, nor are they the ones not tackling each week. I see our players in position to make plays, which is the coaches job....but our players don't make plays when in position to do so.

I also seriously have a problem with the whole concept that it's Wanny's or anyone else's job to motivate these millionares each week. Yes, there are key times a coach MUST motivate his team, but I think it's more in times like where we are right now than it is week to week. I know I read alot from Dolfans about how Wanny's sideline behavior and Press meetings don't instill confidence.....but I don't but into it. I'd rather see him doing what he does that to be Jim Mora (Whines, and gets angry), Jon Gruden (posing for camera), or some of these other clowns in the league. Anyhow, we have many things to address if we are going to win our division.

Vince Lombardi used to say: "Kick your players in the butt when they are winning, because everyone else will be patting them on the back. Likewise, pat them on the back when they are losing because everyone else will be kicking them in the butt."

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom