Excitement Builds For 2019 Miami Dolphins Despite Expectations | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Excitement Builds For 2019 Miami Dolphins Despite Expectations

13, between our 2 posts it's easy to see why Gase/ Tannehill failed. They were joined at the hip. Gase hooked his wagon to Tannehill's star, in retrospect, not the greatest decision. As you said, they both came out of the box flawed and never really got it right. Somebody said something about sound fundamental, physical football. How long has it been since we could say that about Miami? We've been a finesse team. I'm hoping those days are over because we never did it very well. The fact that Flores wanted a FB speaks to a physical run game with power blocking. I'm sick and tired of coaches who are all about out-smarting the other team. Use your brains and create a great offense but let the offense run on power. What happened to beat the guy across from you? I like the o-linemen we drafted. I like everything about Flores and staff so far and I look forward to seeing a well coached team for a change.

I think losing Cam Wake made a huge difference in the Campbell run. Wake had 7 sacks and 4 FFs in the two games prior to injury. He had 0 sacks in the first 4 games under Philbin. Campbell managed 5-7 w wins over Baltimore, Philly and NE after destroying Tenn and Houston. Many thought he wouldn’t be able to match the brain power of Chip Kelly, Harbaugh and Belichik yet he showed why fundamentally sound, physical football is the way you can beat anyone. Heck, it’s how the G men beat NE in 2007.

Agree. One of my biggest frustrations with Queasy/Gase was their pronouncements they were going to 'clean up' mistakes, yet, that "fundamentally sound" football never appeared. It appears Flores will make that happen.
And I'd forgotten about losing Wake.

Agree. One of my biggest frustrations with Queasy/Gase was their pronouncements they were going to 'clean up' mistakes, yet, that "fundamentally sound" football never appeared. It appears Flores will make that happen.
A head coach has to teach sound discipline alongside serious conditioning habits to his team to get the fundamental down..

Gase didn't have the balls to do either..

To say that Miami will be drafting a QB next year, is almost as 100% certain as saying Miami won't because Rosen will succeed.

We don't know what we have with Flores and his staff, other then hope this will be the year we finally hit gold again in compitent coaching.

We also don't know what we have in Rosen, and to make things worse, if he does not look as good, we still can't be 100% sure with Miami's O-line...Unless we see Fitz killing it with the same line.

Worse thing you can do is not get enough of a look at a young QB, just because the following year the top QBs coming out of college, are supposed to be 4 to 5 deep, and all are supposed to succeed in the NFL.

Rosen like Favre, Brady, Manning to name a few, might not have cut it when he 1st came on as a rookie, but with time gets better to the point of being special. Same goes the other way, of can't miss college QBs, just because they looked like superstars in college, does not mean they're going to all be special in the NFL.

If Rosen looks bad while Fitz still shows ability to consistently move Miami's offense, then that is a redflag, and Miami might have to pull the trigger on a QB next year (depending where they're drafting, and who is there), but if he shows continued improvement, and actually flashes in a few games, wasting a draft pick on a QB in the 1st few rounds may.be doing Miami a huge dis-service.

I also in the beginning of the off-season, I said Miami will not lose on purpose, and the more I look at the talent Miami has, and the potential of this coaching staff with the way they have looked and acted, Miami may end up winning too many games to get an actual serious shot at one of the big names next year.

Last edited:
I really don’t think Gase put much stock in fundamentals. I have no proof of this - just a feeling as he seemed to think he was playing a video game. Between the disco music at practices, the team often being out-physicaled, never ready to play in Q1 etc. I don’t think he stressed it enough. Hope he turns the Jets into a powder puff team.

I really don’t think Gase put much stock in fundamentals. I have no proof of this - just a feeling as he seemed to think he was playing a video game. Between the disco music at practices, the team often being out-physicaled, never ready to play in Q1 etc. I don’t think he stressed it enough. Hope he turns the Jets into a powder puff team.

A number of posters here have fingered lack of physicality, trying to out-smart the opponent, and lack of fundamentals as critical traits Gase seemed to ignore. OK, he didn't SEEM to ignore them - he ignored them. That's why I'm optimistic with Flores. Seems to be emphasizing an actual football mentality.

I feel like my Dolphin fandom is analogous to the superstar player that hung around too long.

The early years were spectacular, the middle years were still pretty darn good just not a championship to show for it and the latter years have been just a shadow of what it was like to follow this team.

I think while Gase was here we tended to over rate him because as fans, we wanted him to be good. Some of the stuff that's come out since his firing have been especially revealing. Flores appears to be the opposite of Gase. He's hard nosed, he's plenty tough and he has no ego issues. He's got a lot done already and he's just getting warmed up. I can't wait to go out and see the team practice, it's coming up pretty soon! This is a brand new era of Miami Dolphin's Football and I'm liking it!

I think while Gase was here we tended to over rate him because as fans, we wanted him to be good. Some of the stuff that's come out since his firing have been especially revealing. Flores appears to be the opposite of Gase. He's hard nosed, he's plenty tough and he has no ego issues. He's got a lot done already and he's just getting warmed up. I can't wait to go out and see the team practice, it's coming up pretty soon! This is a brand new era of Miami Dolphin's Football and I'm liking it!

I agree, but I'll add Gase had the advantage of following Philbin.

I agree, but I'll add Gase had the advantage of following Philbin.
So true. Philbin had the personality of a corpse - made pretty much anyone look like an upgrade. Probably why I loved Dan Campbell so much when he took over. Suddenly, everything was fun again. Games, press conferences, anticipation / waiting during the week, etc. I still don’t think it’s an accident that we trounced those 2 teams by a combined 82-whatever after Philbin got the boot. I simply don’t think the players were playing for him any longer and were not having fun. I think the same thing happened to Gase. And I think part of it was paying Cutler all that money - I think he lost some respect from the team.

Gase could be good coach but he need surround himself with better asst coach for one. two he need learn def side of balls as well.third he need give up duty as OC and learn how coach team. 4 he need grow up and let that ego issues go way. last stop hiring ur friend and players u coach and stay away from being GM

Gase could be good coach but he need surround himself with better asst coach for one. two he need learn def side of balls as well.third he need give up duty as OC and learn how coach team. 4 he need grow up and let that ego issues go way. last stop hiring ur friend and players u coach and stay away from being GM

That doesn't leave much he needs to change. Maybe get players to actually play football instead of that 'smart guy' finesse that doesn't work.

Guys, you couldn't be more correct. Joe Philbin could suck the energy out of a football team and it's fan base quicker than anything I've ever seen. I don't know why he was hired to begin with. A more unimpressive person could hardly be found. It's true, Gase looked like John Wayne next to Philbin. Thank goodness Gase and Philbin are behind us. Those guys set us back about a decade.

13, between our 2 posts it's easy to see why Gase/ Tannehill failed. They were joined at the hip. Gase hooked his wagon to Tannehill's star, in retrospect, not the greatest decision. As you said, they both came out of the box flawed and never really got it right. Somebody said something about sound fundamental, physical football. How long has it been since we could say that about Miami? We've been a finesse team. I'm hoping those days are over because we never did it very well. The fact that Flores wanted a FB speaks to a physical run game with power blocking. I'm sick and tired of coaches who are all about out-smarting the other team. Use your brains and create a great offense but let the offense run on power. What happened to beat the guy across from you? I like the o-linemen we drafted. I like everything about Flores and staff so far and I look forward to seeing a well coached team for a change.
Spot on BSQ! You deserve another one of these.
upload_2019-7-2_19-10-45.png
They've tried to run a finesse O without an actual finesse QB. Think about it. I like the Fullback option, I'm really tired of seeing us walk off the field after a 3rd and 1. (On the rare occasion it wasn't a 3rd and 15+)

Back
Top Bottom