Executive of the year to Phoenix? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Executive of the year to Phoenix?

Section126

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Colangelo gets it?

What am I missing?

Colangelo added Nash and poof...they get good....and a bunch of crappy bench players at the deadline.....that's it.

Pat Riley remade the roster:

Shaquille O'Neal
Damon Jones
Keyon Dooling

Role Players:

Laettner
Anderson
Mourning
Smith

He reworked the entire roster and made them contenders. More Anti-Riley bias.

I'm not sure I agree with this one either but I can understand the choice. GNash was a big part of Colangelo's work but he plucked Quentin Richardson (who's not a crappy bench player) from the Clips. He's been a nice addition for the Suns. They also added Walter Mcarthy (average is close to Dooling's) and Jim Jackson (has averaged 15 a game for the last 10 years) for virtually nothing.
Now D'Antoni better start playing his bench because Dallas's depth is bound to tire out the Suns starting 5. Interesting series.

Tough call but in this one I give the edge to Riley (I gave MVP and Coach to Nash and D'Antoni). He went out on a major limb trading for Shaq. He gave up two young players who were just starting to come into their own (Butler and Odom) and he also gave up a first rounder which is essentially giving up another young player. You saw how the Heat played last year the second half of the season and adding another young player even if they didn't trade for Shaq I think they would of been a contender for the title (even though their way more serious of a contender with Shaq). After last year Shaq had MAJOR questions about his health and Miami was taking the risk that if Shaq went down they were left with nothing but D-Wade. Riley took a bigger gamble then the Suns did with Nash and Q-Rich. If Q-Rich and Nash go down the Suns still have Marion and Stoudamire, two all-stars. If Shaq goes down the Heat are left with Wade and not much else. I know the Heat role players have stepped up but and that's because of Shaq. But let's say Shaq went down early in the season for an extended time. Would they be as good as they are now? I don't think so. Having had a healthy Shaq for the part of the season that counted helped these role players gain confidence, without him their nothing IMO!

Both Riley and Colangelo are good choices.

Colangelo didn't only add Nash, he added Quentin Richardson, Joe Johnson, Walter McCarter AND a bunch of crappy bench players :)

Riley adds Shaq, Damon Jones, Dooling, Mourning, Anderson, but Laettner and Smith have been bench warmers lately and I can't even remember the last time that Smith played.

Both are worthy candidates.

My point is that signing Nash and getting Richardson are not so savvy moves...everybody knew they were great players.....

Riley FOUND Damon Jones, Keyon Dooling, and had the forsight to sign Laettner as a compliment off the bench to Shaq.....every single move Riley has made this year has come up roses.

Phoenix just went out and spent money...they didn't find any "diamonds in the rough."

Riley molded a WHOLE team.....and the team he molded has the #1 seed in the east and is 8-0 in the playoffs.

What they should do next year is give the Exec. of the Year awards after the season.

Think of this.....If Phoenix loses this series to Dallas because they LACK DEPTH...(which they do)....doesn't that mean that Colangelo did a crappy job of putting the team together?

Section126 said:
My point is that signing Nash and getting Richardson are not so savvy moves...everybody knew they were great players.....

Riley FOUND Damon Jones, Keyon Dooling, and had the forsight to sign Laettner as a compliment off the bench to Shaq.....every single move Riley has made this year has come up roses.

Phoenix just went out and spent money...they didn't find any "diamonds in the rough."

Riley molded a WHOLE team.....and the team he molded has the #1 seed in the east and is 8-0 in the playoffs.

What they should do next year is give the Exec. of the Year awards after the season.

Think of this.....If Phoenix loses this series to Dallas because they LACK DEPTH...(which they do)....doesn't that mean that Colangelo did a crappy job of putting the team together?

Dont forget Michael Doleac...the guy was playing great backing up Shaq before Mourning came.

DolFan31 said:
What did Riley do that was so bad? Leave the Knicks?

The League hates his guts for two reasons....when he was with the knicks...the league felt that he bended the rules to force officials to call HIS GAME.....(basically committing 80 fouls a game, and daring the refs to foul out his entire team)....

Then...the league was not notified of Riley going to Miami until he was already here in a press conference....

and of course....the "shady" cap manipulation that the Heat was penalized for when the Juwan Howard deal didn't go down.

Many reasons....

Back
Top Bottom