Expanding the football playoffs? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Expanding the football playoffs?

utahphinsfan

Club Member
Reaction score

12 is too many. 4 is not enough. I have felt that it s/b 6 teams. The Five P5 conference champs & 1 at large whether its a G5, Notre Dame, or a 1 loss 2nd place team from a P5 conference.

The playoff should use the same format that NFL conferences did from 2019 & prior.

Thoughts?

I think 12 is too many as well. I actually like 8 with the P-5 champs them 3 at large.

12 is too many. 4 is just right. I’m a Clemson fan so I’m sure I’ll be accused of bias but look at how many blowouts the playoffs have had with just 4 teams. 95% of the time the #3 or #4 team can’t compete with the top 2. Why add more games for blowouts? The answer as always is money. The PAC 12 and Big 12 need to stop bitching and not lose. That’s why they haven’t had a representative every year bc they lose a game they shouldn’t.

I get wanting to give the little guys a chance but honestly who thinks UCF Cincinnati or Boise St is going to win 3 straight playoff games against the big dogs? They’ll be an upset here and there but none of the little guys will ever be a threat to win the title. This is about money. Nothing more nothing less. It’ll basically be the SEC invitational. I guarantee at some point we’ll be seeing 8-4/9-3 SEC teams being selected for the playoff which is just ridiculous in my opinion. It devalues the regular season.

I don't like playoff expansion because all it does it water down the regular season even more. I have no idea how or why NFL fans put so much into as many as 4 or 5 meaningless regular season games every year. But I digress.

The Clemson fan right above has it just about right - this is all about money and the Group of 5 getting into the playoff.

I think it's a good idea from the standpoint of different fanbases from all the different conferences all over the country. They all get to be part of it now and feel the excitement of being in the playoff. My bleeding heart just can't help but like this aspect. However, the flip side of that is the quality of the games suffer. You already have too many lopsided games even with 4 teams.

But...at least everyone gets to feel the excitement now and feel like they're part of big boy football. For about the 1st quarter anyway.

12 gives more teams more exposure and the chance of improving the talent on their rosters. The sport is getting to boring with the same 3 teams being in the playoff year after year. I wouldn't expect any Alabama, Clemson or Ohio State fans to support it.

12 is too many. 4 is not enough. I have felt that it s/b 6 teams. The Five P5 conference champs & 1 at large whether its a G5, Notre Dame, or a 1 loss 2nd place team from a P5 conference.

The playoff should use the same format that NFL conferences did from 2019 & prior.

Thoughts?
12 is fine. Especially with the daunting trend of all the blue chip players not in the CFP sitting out and making those bowls worthless.

When does this happen?

12 teams ain’t happening. The SEC isn’t going to go for it. That’s why the CFP declined to even bring it to a vote.

Although it has nothing to do with the 12 team part. The number of teams isn’t the issue. The issue was the automatic qualifiers for teams from conferences that stink, and Notre Dame still out there wanting to play by different rules than everybody else.

8 is all you’re going to get if anything and that’s still too many.

Back
Top Bottom