Expect a Tua Tagovailoa-tailored offense when Dolphins return from bye | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Expect a Tua Tagovailoa-tailored offense when Dolphins return from bye

Good coach adjusts system for their players. Bad coach adjusts players for his system. Case in point, Gase tired to make Gesicke into a blocking TE. Flo better put in a set for Tua.

The option forces the QB and RB to be damn near omniscient in ball placement and security, when it works it is an art form when it does not, it's the run and shoot in my opinion.

I've always believed that execution was more important and consistent than surprise in football...again just my opinion.

We won't be running any option QB keep or pitch type plays, ( I sure as hell hope!) we are going to have Tua reading defensive keys and deciding if its going to be a run, or quick pass while the Line is blocking aggressively like a normal running play. Should not be any more at risk for a fumble than a conventional play design.

Herbert will probably win ROY. If you're a rookie QB who throws TDs nevermind if you don't actually win football games.
Yeah but if Herbert doesn’t make the playoffs and if the Fins do then Tua will be the front runner

We won't be running any option QB keep or pitch type plays, ( I sure as hell hope!) we are going to have Tua reading defensive keys and deciding if its going to be a run, or quick pass while the Line is blocking aggressively like a normal running play. Should not be any more at risk for a fumble than a conventional play design.
I think there is a misconception in many ppl's mind, what an RPO based offense really is. They hear "option", and think it is heavy on QB designed runs when, in fact, it is basically just an audible system that doesn't involve the O-line, and allows the QB to read the "D", and go to a quick pass, based on what the coverage dictates.

Works good too, but it requires recievers to be on the same "page" as the QB, and create leverage at the snap.

Herbert will probably win ROY. If you're a rookie QB who throws TDs nevermind if you don't actually win football games.
Justin Jefferson is the clear rookie of the year at the moment. Herbert and Burrow have been solid but Jefferson has been one of the best players in the league thus far - not receiver, not rookie, PLAYER.

Obviously, there’s a ton of time left and over the course of the season a QB has a significantly better chance to win the award than a WR, but I see no reason why Jefferson shouldn’t be able to keep this level of production up with the abomination that is the Vikings defense and Thielen taking a lot of attention off Jefferson.

Last edited:
That isn't where I believe the issue is with an RPO offense. It is the "read" at the handoff where the QB decides whether to give the ball to the RB or pull it out for another option. This requires both the RB and QB to execute the fake/or handoff while in sync otherwise, one can misread the situation.

Considering the speed of the pro players, there is such a small window of time for the decision I see a significant increase in fumbles and additional stress on the processing bandwidth of the QB to make the read, then move to the next option, progression etc.

I never believed they would start running the old fake to the FB, with the QB and HB playing lateral pitch option, simply pro QB's won't hold up for long, and Tua probably little less than most.

I

Well how many fumbles did it cause in his college career?

Honest question.. I have no idea..

Pretty sure a professional can adapt to this...

None. Tua’s ball handling is something that most people never talked about. It’s what made him one of the best ball handlers to come out in as long as I can remember. Size matters. Them huge ass 10” plus hands were like magic.

The other thing people don’t realize about the RPO is how dynamic your feet and footwork has to be. You have to switch your feet from parallel to the LOS during the mesh, to pinpoint accuracy in your throwing stance within the blink of an eye. It’s one reason why long levered kids like Trevor Lawrence struggle with it.

Justin Jefferson is the clear rookie of the year at the moment. Herbert and Burrow have been solid but Jefferson has been one of the best players in the league thus far - not receiver, not rookie, PLAYER.

Obviously, there’s a ton of time left and over the course of the season a QB has a significantly better chance to win the award than a WR, but I see no reason why Jefferson shouldn’t be able to keep this level of production up with the abomination that is the Vikings defense and Thielen taking a lot of attention off Jefferson.
He probably deserves it but QB's always get too much attention. I agree though.

How do you avoid Illegal Man Downfield plays if it takes Tua a sec to read the defense?

None. Tua’s ball handling is something that most people never talked about. It’s what made him one of the best ball handlers to come out in as long as I can remember. Size matters. Them huge *** 10” plus hands were like magic.

The other thing people don’t realize about the RPO is how dynamic your feet and footwork has to be. You have to switch your feet from parallel to the LOS during the mesh, to pinpoint accuracy in your throwing stance within the blink of an eye. It’s one reason why long levered kids like Trevor Lawrence struggle with it.
Somebody sent me a video of every Tua drop-back in 2018 and one of the things that caught my attention was how deliberate Tua was in snapping his feet into throwing position. He'd do his little dance with the play-fake or drifting into the strong side of the o-Line and then he'd do almost a jump-stop to set his feet perfectly to throw. He almost never threw without his feet being perfect for accuracy. Whether he can throw out of poor foot-position like Mahomes does is yet to be seen, but what's clear is how diligent he was in getting the feet right before launching. He's the opposite of 'lazy' when it comes to that attention to detail.

Interesting insight! And considering the source, very believable! Of course

the dumb-it-down "bigger is better" mantra prevails -- but as the cousins say

(back in Alabama) "size has it's limitations!"

:bobdole:

Somebody sent me a video of every Tua drop-back in 2018 and one of the things that caught my attention was how deliberate Tua was in snapping his feet into throwing position. He'd do his little dance with the play-fake or drifting into the strong side of the o-Line and then he'd do almost a jump-stop to set his feet perfectly to throw. He almost never threw without his feet being perfect for accuracy. Whether he can throw out of poor foot-position like Mahomes does is yet to be seen, but what's clear is how diligent he was in getting the feet right before launching. He's the opposite of 'lazy' when it comes to that attention to detail.
There is film of TUa throwing TDs in the pocket without having both feet set with a flick of his wrist

There is film of TUa throwing TDs in the pocket without having both feet set with a flick of his wrist
Huge Tua fan here but I don’t agree that he has that type of throw In the repertoire..maybe a few throws where he makes a completion but to get the proper mustard he needs to have those feet set and fire..

I’m just amazed at his release, it’s a beautiful thing.

Huge Tua fan here but I don’t agree that he has that type of throw In the repertoire..maybe a few throws where he makes a completion but to get the proper mustard he needs to have those feet set and fire..

I’m just amazed at his release, it’s a beautiful thing.
IMO when under pressure he has a quick non over Powering release I will call it quick twitch - he has used it in and out of pocket - he will be checking down a lot more in the NFL than looking for big plays in College.

In the NFL We will see it - but firsthe will deal with deal with the Exotic blitz so he will be getting the ball out quick I do believe he is in an RPO offence like in his hands and look off and out

When he proves he can find the open man off the blitz D coords will send conventional 4 and drop into coverages I think this is where we will see Tua take time with the Evolving crossing routes and the D will fold on him and he will flick the ball to whomever and it will be magical

It isn’t about speed it is about ball placement

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom