Expectations for Jordan Howard? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Expectations for Jordan Howard?

Good vision, will pick up tough yards, but I'd basically never hand it to him on 1st and 10. You at least want the possibility of a big play in that situation, and he doesn't offer that.

After what we've grown use to in recent years if he carries on first down and more often than not puts Miami in a a 2nd and 6 or 2nd and 5 situation I'll take it.

Right now my plan is draft Jonathan Taylor or JK Dobbins and trade a day 3 pick to the Broncos for Royce Freeman. Run with Dobbins, Howard, Freeman and the winner of battle for the 4th spot.

Last edited:
I don't think you were a minority in that assessment at all.

In fact, the knocks on him pre-draft were lack of vision, and playing "smaller" than his size.

Aside from the 1 long run 2 years ago, he has really never shown any exceptional skill.

There were a few delusional blind a$$ fans banging the drum for him, but it was more noise, than quantity.
You may be right. But every time I posted that I didn't have much faith in Ballage, it would get 4 or 5 quotes of outraged fans who thought I was a complete idiot. Post after post raving about the kid. Then when he saw spot duty and had a high YPC (7 ypc or somesuch), those cries were deafening. So I'm taking this time to stick up for my evaluation, and thanks @Mach2 as I know you were one of the few who agreed about Ballage all that time.

IMHO, Howard will be a competent RB with power, but our answer will most likely be found in the middle rounds of the draft.

Howard I like. He may not be the fierce RB he was years ago, but I'm expecting short yardage and grind out games. He should be in a rotation for the majority of the game, and he can be a feature back if our other co-starter at RB gets injured. But all in all, I'm not looking to get bell-cow back carries out of him. RB is a punishing position the way Howard plays, and he may only be 25, but his body has taken a lot of punishment. Let's keep using him in roles for short yardage and killing off games. Work him into the rotation so the other guy is a different style RB. Then if the Dolphins have a shot at the playoffs, Howard can be healthy for the playoffs.

Seems crazy to say Dolphins and Playoffs in the same breath, but hey, so did Brady leaving the Patriots voluntarily a few months ago.
I think rotational as well.

Postseason seem like a crazy notion, but there will be an additional playoff team this year. Let's see what the draft brings and go from there.

After what we've grown use to in recent years if he carries on first down and more often than not put Miami in a a 2nd and 6 or 2nd and 5 situation I'll take it.

Right now my plan is draft Jonathan Taylor or JK Dobbins and trade a day 3 pick to the Broncos for Royce Freeman. Run with Dobbins, Howard, Freeman and the winner of battle for the 4th spot.
Thank God someone's got a plan around here! I like your plan... :up:

You may be right. But every time I posted that I didn't have much faith in Ballage, it would get 4 or 5 quotes of outraged fans who thought I was a complete idiot. Post after post raving about the kid. Then when he saw spot duty and had a high YPC (7 ypc or somesuch), those cries were deafening. So I'm taking this time to stick up for my evaluation, and thanks @Mach2 as I know you were one of the few who agreed about Ballage all that time.

IMHO, Howard will be a competent RB with power, but our answer will most likely be found in the middle rounds of the draft.
Your assessment of Ballage had nothing to do with public perception... LOL :lol:

Good vision, will pick up tough yards, but I'd basically never hand it to him on 1st and 10. You at least want the possibility of a big play in that situation, and he doesn't offer that.
I really don't like handing to anyone on first and 10. Lol. I think it's a perfect throwing down.

I really don't like handing to anyone on first and 10. Lol. I think it's a perfect throwing down.
The key is to not be predictable over the course of a season.

It really depends on several things. For example, if you are facing an opponent that is weak against the run, the gameplan would logically dictate a higher run percentage, and vise versa.

Late in a game, with a two/three score lead is also a situation where ground and pound is warranted.

Yup... it comes down to the O-Line. If we draft a RB before we draft at least one, maybe two linemen, we will have made a mistake. Running Backs don't play until their mid to late 30s, linemen do.

Back
Top Bottom