Expert opinion on our tackling from Carl Banks... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Expert opinion on our tackling from Carl Banks...

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Reaction score
Missed tackles are the worst," says Banks, who does the Giants games for WFAN radio in New York. "I watched that Monday night Miami-Philadelphia game and I was actually sick. My stomach hurt. All those missed tackles that the Dolphins had. It was just pathetic. I was embarrassed for them.

"When I played for Bill Parcells in New York we were allowed two, maybe even three missed tackles a game, and if there were three you'd hear about it in the meeting. Miami was committing two or three per play. How many did they have for the game? Twenty? Twenty-five?

"Usually missed tackles go back to lack of desire, but I don't think it was that way with Miami. They were trying, but they were just floundering around. I wonder what their coaching is like."

"In practice they just don't have enough live tackling," Giddings says, "because coaches are afraid to get people hurt. It's all game-planning and scheming."
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=runningamok&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

That's a very good point. Especialy the last line there. Many times teams go away from fundamental work and focus on game-planning and scheming. The other side of that is you're fresher down the stretch. But as we've seen, you get sloppy.

I know everyone who plays sports including pro's need to practice and such, but is lack of contact in practice a legitimate excuse for crappy tackling as we had against Philly. I would think tackling became as easy as counting 123s after all those years these athletes have played the game. Hell I thought we'd go to the Super Bowl, shows how much I know

You know how Ricky wares down the defense during the game and, if able, runs through them in the 4th.

Well like the past 6-8 years, the Last Month/& Playoffs is the 4th.
This defense will continue to miss tackles. They always do around this time.

The whole thing with the lack of tackling was to keep our guys fresh. The coaches thought that if they cut back on tackling, our guys would be fresher towards the end of the year. Now, it doesn't matter how fresh we are because we can't tackle anything.

You could say it's late in the season and they're worn out but that also has to be put on the coaches not making substitutions all season. If you have fresh arms out there they can tackle better than worn out ones. Also if your coach inspires you you can give that extra effort needed because the guy opposite of you is just as tired. The PS foul penalties and other penalties shows lack of dicipline. Our play is so marginal that it makes the officials calls against us huge.

Back
Top Bottom