Explain the 2nd round pick to me | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Explain the 2nd round pick to me

Keebler229

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Why did we take Matt Roth when we spent the offeason getting 2 other DE?? and we still have Taylor. are we gearing up to trade taylor? why do we need to have 4 DE when there was other areas we could have put our attention to in the draft at the 2nd round?

For depth...David Bowens is going to be cut. Holliday and Taylor arnt getting any younger and we need a backup. Carter playes DE and DT

We lost Jay Williams and Bryan Robinson. We replaced those two with Kevin Carter and Vonnie Holliday. Zgonina is probably going to be traded/cut which is where Roth comes in. Some of you people make it sound like we have 20 Defensive Lineman. Truth is, the ones we signed are just replacing the ones we lost.

Keep in mind Carter will probably be more of a DT with pass rushing abilities than a fulltime DE.

14 (46). Miami Dolphins (from Kansas City): Matt Roth | DE | Iowa
Scouts' take: Signing Vonnie Holliday helped improve depth, but he really struggled while he was in Kansas City, and he shouldn't be a an every-down player at this point. Roth doesn't have great size, and he doesn't always play with a wide base, but he uses his hands very well, which allows him to shed blocks quickly, and he takes the shortest path to the ball carrier. He also does an outstanding job of anticipating the snap count and shows good closing speed, so he should help draw some blockers away from RDE Jason Taylor. In our opinion Roth is a first-round talent, so this is an excellent pick.

Mel Kiper's take: Another fiery, intense DE who may end up playing some at outside linebacker. Roth was excellent at the Senior Bowl, where he showed good technique and an initial quickness against top competition.

This guy was a great pick cause he can prolly do like JT and stand up in 3-4 Holliday signed a 1 year deal and might not even make it to opening day. It was a depth pick and a darn good one i think. Just a not ESPN Grade=91

I'm so happy ight now, you don't even know. All 3 players we got could've been 1st rounders, plus we still have a chance to get Shazor if he is there in the 4th. I would've liked to see Chris Heny instead of Roth, but 1st round talent is 1st round talent.

Roth is a tweener, he can play hand up or down. He was tremendous value seeing as how he was considered to go in the mid to late 1st. He could play the blitzing OLB in a 3-4, or DE in a 4-3. Imagine both Taylor and Roth on the field at OLB at the same time, QB's wont know where we are coming from.

The most important positions are offensive and defensive lines. You can never have enough impact players there. That's why we drafted him. My only concern with Roth is his personality reminds me of somene on steroids. Hopefully he's just naturally insane.

Someone else posted this, but it made me love the Roth pick:

Roth is regarded as one of the premier pass rushers in the collegiate ranks and one of the toughest players in the country. He is a blue-chip prospect with a blue-collar work ethic. Roth is a colorful character who plays the game as if he is on a "search and destroy" mission. He is the source of a campus urban legend, as many Hawkeyes talk of the time Roth challenged and cleared out an entire bar in a fight.

Even in practices, the coaches have to pray he stays under control. They will generally blow the whistle early on plays, so Roth does not hurt any of the offensive players. There are times when he plays with such intensity in practices that the coaches must sit him down, even for walk-throughs.

Back
Top Bottom