Explaining Dolphins Qb Josh Rosen's Modest Start To Training Camp | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Explaining Dolphins Qb Josh Rosen's Modest Start To Training Camp

That too me is a revelation!
How can ANY QB get to the NFL level and NOT be able to identify the "Mike"?
You are exaggerating here, and taking what was said out of context.

He never said he couldn't identify the mike. It just had never been one of his "keys", as protection calls were not his responsibility with previous coaches.

You are exaggerating here, and taking what was said out of context.

He never said he couldn't identify the mike. It just had never been one of his "keys", as protection calls were not his responsibility with previous coaches.
I wonder whose responsibility they may have been? An O-Lineman perhaps? Wouldn't he still have to know what it means?

I wonder whose responsibility they may have been? An O-Lineman perhaps? Wouldn't he still have to know what it means?
Many times it is the center that calls protection at the line. You can't call protections in the huddle.

I'm sure he knows what "mike" means, and could point out the player in that position. It just wasn't something he used as a "key".

If they're involved at all with audibles or changing blocking assignments, they should know this.
That is not true. Even with the ability to audible there is no requirement for the QB to ID the MLB. Often this is the responsibilty of the Center especially in college. It depends on the system, HC/OC.

It is also not reported that he has a problem with it only that is something new to him.

I was one of Tannehill's biggest critics over the years but I gave him 2 years. I did not sour on him until the last two games in 2013. You people are absolutely unreasonable in your dislike and hatred for Rosen. It is much easier for everybody if you simply said: "I don't like the guy I want him to fail" instead dragging all of us through the absurdity to explain football to you.

If they're involved at all with audibles or changing blocking assignments, they should know this.
Precicely why many coaches limit audibles with a young, inexperienced QB. As already pointed out several times, it's not always the QB who makes the line calls.

Wasn't he heralded as the most "pro-ready" when he was drafted?

That probably depends on what they meant by it and who said it. You have to keep in mind that Rosen had 3 different OC's all 3 years he was at UCLA. You never really get to learn the intricacies of any offense when you're subjected to that much change. Heck, I think he may have had 3 more last year as a rookie.

Furthermore, at UCLA they went from more of an RPO system in his freshman year, to what ended up being a more "pro style" offense. Really all that means is they added Tight Ends and Fullbacks to their personnel packages. "Pro style" is simply a term used to describe personnel packages that include TE's and FB's instead of none - as you would see in most spread based offenses. RPO's and spread principles are in fact, what pro offenses are doing now.

In a pure RPO offense, the offensive line doesn't know if it's going to be a run or a pass. They're run blocking no matter what. The Center ID's the Mike and the line adjusts accordingly. There are no protection schemes.

This is a very, very complex offense that Tom Brady has been running up in New England. They're trying to teach some of the basics to Rosen right now. It is critical that he learn and master the protections. It is the tool he will need to use in order to protect himself, as Brady does. This ain't the offense some rookie QB running all over the place like Lamar Jackson was running last year. This is big boy football these coaches are finally trying to instill in Miami.

I'm not a cheerleader and I have no idea how this all pans out for Rosen. I'm just telling you what's going on. I'm not going to bullsh^t anybody.

Back
Top Bottom