Extend Ogbah and Baker? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Extend Ogbah and Baker?

I really wouldn't be in a hurry for any of them but I can see them working a deal with one or two of those guys.

I also wonder if teams were concentrating more on stopping Ogbah? That's why getting a talented DE opposite of him makes sense, or anyone who can rush the passer.
Possible. That would partially explain why Lawson was showing up more toward the end, as well.

With apologies to the article at the Herald...

We could easily extend more than one player, but we'd have to take a risk that the players were not me-first players like X Howard.

The way you do this is you frontload their contracts with a big signing bonus (which gets pro-rated through the duration of the contract), with the agreement that the player will not come looking for more money in 2 years. So yes, those players would have to be honorable.

This way, you can give a player 4 years as 50M, but he gets a lot of it upfront.

It can work, but it requires trust.
Great minds think alike. I was posting something very similar at the same time.

What makes you say the cap will go down in 2022? The TV contract is being negotiated now, so I'm not sure That will be the case. In fact, indications are the the cap this year will be higher than the established floor of 175 million. There is no reason to suspect a lower cap in 2022.

You are correct, though, that it is an unknown figure.

Reality is, through the use of high signing bonuses, that are cap amortized over several years, there are ways to get it done. As long as we dont backload contracts with a lot of potential dead money, it can be manageable over the long term.
im talking about this year. with the cap down we cant extend right now

im talking about this year. with the cap down we cant extend right now
Again, extensions are for years in the future. Any increase on this years "books" can be, for the most part, ammortized over the length of the contract through signing bonus. Future roster bonus, easily attainable performance incentives, etc. are also tools to defer total $ until later down the line.

It's almost inarguably cheaper in the long run to get a deal done early (if you want to keep the player), rather than letting him hit the FA market. That gives a good player's agent a lot of leverage.

Obviously, the downside is if the player suffers a serious injury.

i lock up baker first, although if ogbah has another good season he will be expensive. its hard bc the cap going down. if the cap stayed the same I say its a no brainer.
The cap is going down this year because of the lack of attendance at the games. If fans are once again allowed to attend games during the 2021 season, I suspect the cap will rise considerably after next season. it will all be determined based on the virus and how under control it is once a large percentage of the population is vaccinated.

I read that, but not sure I agree.

Bake, in particular, would be smart to lock up. He has shown to be durable, and is just now coming into his prime as a player. He is also a pretty good scheme fit, with hard to find versatility. Should he have anotger very good year, the price will go up, as opposed to getting it done now.

MG, I would wait on. I like him, but he is not a typical TE, and probably isn't going to get any huge FA offers.

Ogbah had a good year, moreso early than late, but he would be hard to replace, and is another guy who looks to be hitting his prime.

Bottom line, if you keep letting good players go, you have new holes to fill every year.

I've seen enough of Baker to know he's not "the guy" at the LB spot. Sure he can be a complementary piece. But, You need a more dominant player at that position if you want your defense to get to that next level. BTW, I'd also add a top flight enforce type safe back in the secondary too. There were too many times last season where i had no idea he even played in the game. IMO, that should never happen! Certainly not at that position.

I've seen enough of Baker to know he's not "the guy" at the LB spot. Sure he can be a complementary piece. But, You need a more dominant player at that position if you want your defense to get to that next level. BTW, I'd also add a top flight enforce type safe back in the secondary too. There were too many times last season where i had no idea he even played in the game. IMO, that should never happen! Certainly not at that position.
Not sure what you mean by "not the guy".

This scheme employs 4 linebackers in base D. No one player is "the guy". He more than competently does what he is asked to do, IMO. Do you just want to let every player that is not "the guy" walk in FA?

Nobody is suggesting that he is Ray Lewis, or a run stuffer (which isn't his role), or that he be given a hundred million dollar contract.

What's the problem with offering him a fair deal, based on his actual production? 120 tackles, pretty good blitzer when called upon, very good speed/range. I don't believe he would be as easy to replace as you think.

For sure Baker, would like to with Ogbah as well, but probably smart to wait and see what financials look like next season.

Keeping your own talent, especially those that have excelled in your system should have priority in free agency. While Ogbah and Baker are both signed through the 2021 season, why not extend them now when the salary cap is available? There's the risk that they fall off or get injured. But the opposite of that could happen as well. They could both continue to produce at levels that might make them harder to sign after the season.

I'm on the fence with Karras. If the salary is $5-6 million, I think the team get it done. But I've also read an estimate of $8-10 million for Karras. That seemed high for me.
I'd extend Ogbah and quickly. After that I'd explore Gesicki and then Baker, but I'd want to extend Gesicki a lot more than Baker, because Baker is ultimately a lot easier to replace and less of a difference maker in the W/L columns. But the devil is in the details, so what their agents ask and will accept may drive this process.

The cap is going down this year because of the lack of attendance at the games. If fans are once again allowed to attend games during the 2021 season, I suspect the cap will rise considerably after next season. it will all be determined based on the virus and how under control it is once a large percentage of the population is vaccinated.
i know that im just saying what I would do this offseason

I say let them play it out, walk and collect the comp picks, having said that Grier already did dish out worse extensions. I wouldn't be opposed to signing either or both I just wouldn't myself.

Not sure what you mean by "not the guy".

This scheme employs 4 linebackers in base D. No one player is "the guy". He more than competently does what he is asked to do, IMO. Do you just want to let every player that is not "the guy" walk in FA?

Pretty much, yeh. Its a harsh way to look at things but a team can only have around 5 players on deals that the likes of Baker and Ogbah are going to command. And that's before paying a QB.

Before offering any deal you have to ask if this player is one of the 5 vets that's going to form the core of a championship contending team. I don't think either of them are. On a rookie deal Baker is a wonderful player...Ogbah on one year is great as well. Four years with 30 mil guaranteed? Not quite so great.

Pretty much, yeh. Its a harsh way to look at things but a team can only have around 5 players on deals that the likes of Baker and Ogbah are going to command. And that's before paying a QB.

Before offering any deal you have to ask if this player is one of the 5 vets that's going to form the core of a championship contending team. I don't think either of them are. On a rookie deal Baker is a wonderful player...Ogbah on one year is great as well. Four years with 30 mil guaranteed? Not quite so great.
I think you overestimate what Bakers contract would be.

If you don't think 4 years @ 30 mil is a bargain for Ogbah, I think you are out of touch with today's NFL pay scale.

Back
Top Bottom