Extend Ogbah and Baker? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Extend Ogbah and Baker?

I think you overestimate what Bakers contract would be.

If you don't think 4 years @ 30 mil is a bargain for Ogbah, I think you are out of touch with today's NFL pay scale.

My best guess for both would be around that range. If Ogbah puts together another solid year he can command a tier 2 de deal which at his age is probably 4-5 yrs 60-70 mil with a team out around 3 yrs 30 mil. Maybe he can command more up front if he really shows up next year but I'd guess folks would be a bit cautious given his track record.

Baker does play in a less appealing position but hes young and fast. Those types tend to get overpaid by someone.

Ehh ogbah is locked up for another year and fell off the map end of the season.

Baker needs to be locked up, however I think we use him wrong and should be used more as a blitzing lb rather than coverage. He was phenomenal when we blitzed him last year. Would like to see him coming after the AB much more and can see him getting 12-14 sacks cause of his speed
I doubt anyone can match Van Ginkel as a blitzing LB, maybe Biegel, I prefer Baker where he is

The cap is going down this year because of the lack of attendance at the games. If fans are once again allowed to attend games during the 2021 season, I suspect the cap will rise considerably after next season. it will all be determined based on the virus and how under control it is once a large percentage of the population is vaccinated.
Early estimates are 225 million... so up 45m in one year.

Honestly, I would let them play out their current deals and than pay more if necessary next year. I need to see that both are more than 1 year wonders and let's be honest, Baker was terrible to start the year and Ogbah disappeared at the end of the year.

Honestly, I would let them play out their current deals and than pay more if necessary next year. I need to see that both are more than 1 year wonders and let's be honest, Baker was terrible to start the year and Ogbah disappeared at the end of the year.
Doesn't it kind of depend on what they, and their agents are looking for though?

I can see your arguement moreso with Ogbah, but Flo knows what Baker is, and what he isn't.

Now I may be way off base in assuming Flo would want to keep him around, but I think price is the driving factor.

He has consistently improved every year, and has really been consistent overall. Isn't that what you want out of guys you draft? If you aren't going try to keep those guys, what are we doing here?

Don't resign anybody that hasn't been to the Pro Bowl? You can't run a team that way.

Doesn't it kind of depend on what they, and their agents are looking for though?

I can see your arguement moreso with Ogbah, but Flo knows what Baker is, and what he isn't.

Now I may be way off base in assuming Flo would want to keep him around, but I think price is the driving factor.

He has consistently improved every year, and has really been consistent overall. Isn't that what you want out of guys you draft? If you aren't going try to keep those guys, what are we doing here?

Don't resign anybody that hasn't been to the Pro Bowl? You can't run a team that way.
I get that but literally Baker was trash for 4 games this year, he only got significantly better when they took him off the field more. We always have the franchise tag if he balls out again. Extend Sanders as he is just a kicker so it won't be a huge contract but i'd let the rest play out there deals.

I mean Parker literally burned us last year by extending him when we didn't have too and none of these guys are obvious candidates to big deals.

Plus, I think Miami would be looking for similar players if those two weren't retained.

I think Miami would be ecstatic if they drafted a player that turned out like Ogbah.

Plus, I think Miami would be looking for similar players if those two weren't retained.

I think Miami would be ecstatic if they drafted a player that turned out like Ogbah.
I almost started down the road of where would our defense had been without those players last year.

I think it is a valid question, but also kind of a strawman, because what you said is exactly right. They fit the role they were asked to play, and to replace them, you would need very similar players.

Last edited:
I almost started down the road of where would our defense had been without those players last year.

I thin it is a valid question, but also kind of a strawman, because what you said is exactly right. They fit the role they were asked to play, and to replace them, you would need very similar players.
Right, and those are the players you try to keep. Between them, they had 16 sacks.

Baker probably didn't get enough credit for the season he had.

I get that but literally Baker was trash for 4 games this year, he only got significantly better when they took him off the field more. We always have the franchise tag if he balls out again. Extend Sanders as he is just a kicker so it won't be a huge contract but i'd let the rest play out there deals.

I mean Parker literally burned us last year by extending him when we didn't have too and none of these guys are obvious candidates to big deals.

I don't get the logic. "Obvious candidates to big deals?" First, no team signs all players who are obvious candidates to big deals. Some times they wals for cap reasons. Second, that's an unrealistic bar. Average players are valuable in the NFL. No, don't overpay, but letting average players go is more likely going to result in replacing them with below average than elite. Yes, players not good enough for big deals can be upgraded, but they're necessary.

If you really want to keep them, than try to extend them this year. If you wait until after the season, the cap is probably going to soar and they will be overpaid by some other team.

Anything more than 4-5 million/year for Karras and he can GTFO. He's the definition of an average player. If we are going to pay that much for a center, then I'd rather go higher for better production with a guy like Corey Lindsey or David Andrews. I'd also be okay with spending the 50th pick on Creed Humphrey, Josh Myers, or Landon Dickerson.

I like Karras at a bargain rate. And that's it.

Anything more than 4-5 million/year for Karras and he can GTFO. He's the definition of an average player. If we are going to pay that much for a center, then I'd rather go higher for better production with a guy like Corey Lindsey or David Andrews. I'd also be okay with spending the 50th pick on Creed Humphrey, Josh Myers, or Landon Dickerson.

I like Karras at a bargain rate. And that's it.
Did I slip into an alternative universe?

I thought this thread was Ogbah/Baker?

Ehh ogbah is locked up for another year and fell off the map end of the season.

Baker needs to be locked up, however I think we use him wrong and should be used more as a blitzing lb rather than coverage. He was phenomenal when we blitzed him last year. Would like to see him coming after the AB much more and can see him getting 12-14 sacks cause of his speed
I have said it for 2 years, but I think Baker is more of a box safety than a true LB (at least in our scheme). I think he is the most effective roaming around the LoS. He seemed to be very successful on delayed blitzes and stunts in the AB gaps last season.

Back
Top Bottom