Extend Ogbah and Baker? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Extend Ogbah and Baker?

Sign Baker now.

Ogbah needs to have a good 2021 before I extend him. He was a bit of an opportunist in 2020, lets see if he can be productive again in 2021.

Baker is probably harder to replace in terms of role. But neither is the level where their talent level drives things
more than tbe scheme which is why Miami should let them play it out.

if ogbah finds $16 mil on the market per in a year well goodbye. Same for a Baker. Tbey ain’t worth it as long as the scheme is better than the talent. And with both those guys that’s what it is no question.

Myles Jack money for a Jerome baker? Are you out of your mind...that’s crazy town

Not sure what you mean by "not the guy".

This scheme employs 4 linebackers in base D. No one player is "the guy". He more than competently does what he is asked to do, IMO. Do you just want to let every player that is not "the guy" walk in FA?

Nobody is suggesting that he is Ray Lewis, or a run stuffer (which isn't his role), or that he be given a hundred million dollar contract.

What's the problem with offering him a fair deal, based on his actual production? 120 tackles, pretty good blitzer when called upon, very good speed/range. I don't believe he would be as easy to replace as you think.
Nothing wrong with Baker...he can blitz and he can tackle.

All 32 teams will have the same problem with funding this year, so we may not see a ton of FA movement.

All 32 teams will have the same problem with funding this year, so we may not see a ton of FA movement.
The number of FAs is a known quantity. Do you think they will all retire?

If teams cant afford to resign them, they have to move. Many will have to take less than they would in other years, and will be more open to backloads with gaurantees, or short term deals.

What are the mechanics behind your premise? Serious question. Maybe I'm overlooking something.

I'm just not in a hurry with either guy tbh.

But certainly this is the time to check the temperature and see what can be done to "our" benefit.

Baker and Gesicki yes, ogbah i'm not sure.
Don't assume there is only one side playing the game either.

Ogbah and his agent may be inclined to wait and test the FA waters. If he has another year (sacks, FF, pressures, solid against thr run) like last year, he will likely command a substantial salary increase.

If Miami can get Ogbah to reduce his salary for 2021 via upfront bonus money, why not try to extend him. But I understand the financial circumstances may ultimately push any extension into 2022.

Baker is probably harder to replace in terms of role. But neither is the level where their talent level drives things
more than tbe scheme which is why Miami should let them play it out.

if ogbah finds $16 mil on the market per in a year well goodbye. Same for a Baker. Tbey ain’t worth it as long as the scheme is better than the talent. And with both those guys that’s what it is no question.

Myles Jack money for a Jerome baker? Are you out of your mind...that’s crazy town
I think the good news is they both want to stay in Miami. And I think part of that for sure is Flo + scheme -- they like their roles and also realize they could do a LOT worse in a less than ideal situation. How much that tran$lates to the bottom line = ????

But I think they are both still ascending players (especially Bake) and that usually plays well in the marketplace.

Inking both of those contracts with "good value" will go a long way to sustaining/building our program.

(Oh yeah -- I have no clue as to what "good value" would look like in $$$ terms -- it's gotten so insane it's impossible to predict)

The number of FAs is a known quantity. Do you think they will all retire?

If teams cant afford to resign them, they have to move. Many will have to take less than they would in other years, and will be more open to backloads with gaurantees, or short term deals.

What are the mechanics behind your premise? Serious question. Maybe I'm overlooking something.
The mechanics are spelled out in the second line of your response. I don't see a lot of movement in FA because of the drop in NFL revenue. In other words , I don't a ton of 'big money' FA's moving teams this year. There will be more players who take less on short deals and/or resign rather than move teams.

The mechanics are spelled out in the second line of your response. I don't see a lot of movement in FA because of the drop in NFL revenue. In other words , I don't a ton of 'big money' FA's moving teams this year. There will be more players who take less on short deals and/or resign rather than move teams.
There will be some of that, no doubt. There will also be situations where, due to cap constraints, teams will let a player go, who they otherwise may have been able to retain. I think in that respect It's a "wash".

I don't see shorter deals, less money as a direct corralation to movement.

You may be right. It's all speculation.

There will be some of that, no doubt. There will also be situations where, due to cap constraints, teams will let a player go, who they otherwise may have been able to retain. I think in that respect It's a "wash".

I don't see shorter deals, less money as a direct corralation to movement.

You may be right. It's all speculation.

I won't be surprised with an uptick in restructures. Keep the big money guy - just kick the can down the road. Admittedly, that won't work for a team with 3-4 quality players approaching FA.

Back
Top Bottom