Extend Ogbah and Baker? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Extend Ogbah and Baker?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Keeping your own talent, especially those that have excelled in your system should have priority in free agency. While Ogbah and Baker are both signed through the 2021 season, why not extend them now when the salary cap is available? There's the risk that they fall off or get injured. But the opposite of that could happen as well. They could both continue to produce at levels that might make them harder to sign after the season.

I'm on the fence with Karras. If the salary is $5-6 million, I think the team get it done. But I've also read an estimate of $8-10 million for Karras. That seemed high for me.

Last edited:
The Herald had an article earlier in the week on the potential extensions of Baker, Gesicki, Sanders and Ogbah. Barry Jackson was of the thinking its going to be very difficult to extend anyone not named Sanders, due to the upcoming cap reduction. He opinioned that it be wise for Miami to wait on extending the others, until the cap increases again in 2022. He laid out solid arguments. Good article too.

I have heard (but not verified), that next year might be a year when we actually have more salary cap available. We might have to stand pat with those guys this year and basically tell them, "we'll take care of you next year".

I can see extending Baker because he has improved every year. Ogbah played well during the early part of the season when he had the majority of his sacks. Over the last 6 games he only had 1 sack and he just didn’t play at the same level he did earlier in the season.

Perhaps that is because the opposing teams were blocking him differently or just because his play decreased as the season went along. I think they would be wise to see how he plays next season and then decide if they want to try and resign him or not.

The Herald had an article earlier in the week on the potential extensions of Baker, Gesicki, Sanders and Ogbah. Barry Jackson was of the thinking its going to be very difficult to extend anyone not named Sanders, due to the upcoming cap reduction. He opinioned that it be wise for Miami to wait on extending the others, until the cap increases again in 2022. He laid out solid arguments. Good article too.
I read that, but not sure I agree.

Bake, in particular, would be smart to lock up. He has shown to be durable, and is just now coming into his prime as a player. He is also a pretty good scheme fit, with hard to find versatility. Should he have anotger very good year, the price will go up, as opposed to getting it done now.

MG, I would wait on. I like him, but he is not a typical TE, and probably isn't going to get any huge FA offers.

Ogbah had a good year, moreso early than late, but he would be hard to replace, and is another guy who looks to be hitting his prime.

Bottom line, if you keep letting good players go, you have new holes to fill every year.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll have to check that out.

I can see extending Baker because he has improved every year. Ogbah played well during the early part of the season when he had the majority of his sacks. Over the last 6 games he only had 1 sack and he just didn’t play at the same level he did earlier in the season.

Perhaps that is because the opposing teams were blocking him differently or just because his play decreased as the season went along. I think they would be wise to see how he plays next season and then decide if they want to try and resign him or not.
I also wonder if teams were concentrating more on stopping Ogbah? That's why getting a talented DE opposite of him makes sense, or anyone who can rush the passer.

Ehh ogbah is locked up for another year and fell off the map end of the season.

Baker needs to be locked up, however I think we use him wrong and should be used more as a blitzing lb rather than coverage. He was phenomenal when we blitzed him last year. Would like to see him coming after the AB much more and can see him getting 12-14 sacks cause of his speed

With apologies to the article at the Herald...

We could easily extend more than one player, but we'd have to take a risk that the players were not me-first players like X Howard.

The way you do this is you frontload their contracts with a big signing bonus (which gets pro-rated through the duration of the contract), with the agreement that the player will not come looking for more money in 2 years. So yes, those players would have to be honorable.

This way, you can give a player 4 years as 50M, but he gets a lot of it upfront.

It can work, but it requires trust.

i lock up baker first, although if ogbah has another good season he will be expensive. its hard bc the cap going down. if the cap stayed the same I say its a no brainer.

Yes and Yes.
Hey bro completely unrelated to this topic but I couldn't help but notice your bio has Pitts 1a and Smith/Waddle/Chase 1b?

I feel you're very high on Pitts (I also love Pitts' game), but I think it's definitely more likely Pitts is available closer to 1b than Chase or Smith. I also think the drop off in quality between Chase/Smith and Waddle is bigger than most people think, I'm not extremely high on Waddle. Freak athlete but he gives me Jakeem Grant vibes more than Tyreek Hill vibes.

I wasn't trying to take attention away from the thread so if this needs to be moved I'm sorry.

In regards to the thread; I'd resign Baker if possible but I don't see why he would choose to do that when he knows he's likely going to get a bigger contract if he just performs. Athletes don't typically have the mind set "Take the safe money cuz I may get hurt", usually it's along the lines of "I'm gonna show out so I can prove why I should be paid as much as all the other top 'enter position group here' "

i lock up baker first, although if ogbah has another good season he will be expensive. its hard bc the cap going down. if the cap stayed the same I say its a no brainer.
What makes you say the cap will go down in 2022? The TV contract is being negotiated now, so I'm not sure That will be the case. In fact, indications are the the cap this year will be higher than the established floor of 175 million. There is no reason to suspect a lower cap in 2022.

You are correct, though, that it is an unknown figure.

Reality is, through the use of high signing bonuses, that are cap amortized over several years, there are ways to get it done. As long as we dont backload contracts with a lot of potential dead money, it can be manageable over the long term.

Back
Top Bottom