Extend Ogbah and Baker? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Extend Ogbah and Baker?

I won't be surprised with an uptick in restructures. Keep the big money guy - just kick the can down the road. Admittedly, that won't work for a team with 3-4 quality players approaching FA.
True.

I think the approach also depends on the team, and the direction they see the in the immediate future.

If a team is on the cusp of a probable rebuild already (Saints, Eagles, etc) they may choose to clean house and clear cap. It would actually be a good opportunity to do so with the lower cap number, as they wouldn't be obligated to spend 210-220 million to get to the contractually required cap percentage.

It will be very interesting how it plays out with differing circumstances.

I dread the mistake Miami will likely make by extending Gesicki. They are going to overpay him.

Not sure what you mean by "not the guy".

This scheme employs 4 linebackers in base D. No one player is "the guy". He more than competently does what he is asked to do, IMO. Do you just want to let every player that is not "the guy" walk in FA?

Nobody is suggesting that he is Ray Lewis, or a run stuffer (which isn't his role), or that he be given a hundred million dollar contract.

What's the problem with offering him a fair deal, based on his actual production? 120 tackles, pretty good blitzer when called upon, very good speed/range. I don't believe he would be as easy to replace as you think.
Jerome Baker 113 tackles 8 sacks....PFF grade 54..3rd round pick
Tremaine Edmunds 119 tackles 2 sacks....PFF grade 47..#16th overall
Right, and those are the players you try to keep. Between them, they had 16 sacks.

Baker probably didn't get enough credit for the season he had.
Nothing wrong with Baker...he can blitz and he can tackle.

I don't think you realize what average, assignment sound players are paid in today's NFL.
I don't think you do Mach. That proposed yearly 3.5 to 4M would put him top 20. Is he a top 20 TE?

I don't think you do Mach. That proposed yearly 3.5 to 4M would put him top 20. Is he a top 20 TE?
My question would be what would it cost to replace him. I would think the brain trust at Dolphin’s HQ would know.

My question would be what would it cost to replace him. I would think the brain trust at Dolphin’s HQ would know.
I'm drafting his replacement and rolling with Sicki, Shaheen and rookie (I'm eyeing Friermuth)

Last edited:
I'm drafting huis replacement and rolling with Sicki, Shaheen and rookie (I'm eyeing Friermuth)
There's no guarantee that Miami is going to get Friermuth. He could get drafted before Miami gets a chance to. Smythe is a surer thing, for the moment.

Jerome Baker 113 tackles 8 sacks....PFF grade 54..3rd round pick
Tremaine Edmunds 119 tackles 2 sacks....PFF grade 47..#16th overall
I didn't realize Baker had pretty much equal production, outside of the sack numbers. Baker is being underrated and undervalued.

I can see extending Baker because he has improved every year. Ogbah played well during the early part of the season when he had the majority of his sacks. Over the last 6 games he only had 1 sack and he just didn’t play at the same level he did earlier in the season.

Perhaps that is because the opposing teams were blocking him differently or just because his play decreased as the season went along. I think they would be wise to see how he plays next season and then decide if they want to try and resign him or not.
Ogbah had 3 sacks called back because of penalties.

Back
Top Bottom