Extend Ogbah and Baker? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Extend Ogbah and Baker?

I didn't realize Baker had pretty much equal production, outside of the sack numbers. Baker is being underrated and undervalued.

he’s not accounting for one played thru a jacked up shoulder injury for over half the year

As long as you are gonna let your scheme drive your pass rush Id almost treat full time on the los edge player like rb.

I don't think you do Mach. That proposed yearly 3.5 to 4M would put him top 20. Is he a top 20 TE?
Looks like 22-25 range to me, and I would say not only is that about right.

Not only that, but there are a huge number of FAs this year, many if which will be signed/resigned at a number in that range. Let's revisit this discussion at the start of the season.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think its a bargain, but I don't have an issue paying fair market value.

That smythe moneys right for a decent in line blocking tight end in free agency.

I wish we had not signed shaheen to tbe bird in hand extension cause he’s the one that’s gonna hurt the draft tight end addition upgrade the most.

he’s not bad just if we seriously talking about needing weapons no reason tight end should be off the shelf.

Tunnel vision

Look at the year before then. Pretty much the same story.

baker in 2019 didn’t play as well as he did this year. But really think about it in our scheme his primary coverage assignment was carry on rbs. The tight end stuff was left to rowe.

baker did a good job on coverage with backs yes but the blitz sack production is highly scheme driven. And that’s not even counting the poa weakness and the target in the run game downhill that teams try to get to him with.

so when you start paying guys like they legit when the scheme driving you run a dangerous bad contract game.

as for Edmunds he’s correct that he hasn’t played up to his top 15 pick draft position. His instincts in terms of reading keys still hasn’t gotten where it needs to be. But his range and his speed etc is a big part of their scheme. That said he’s another candidate for a bad contract cause his reputation is largely better than his tape. He did however come on late in the year once he got over that shoulder and take that defense to another level.

Possible. That would partially explain why Lawson was showing up more toward the end, as well.

You're right, and Baker and Van Noy´s sack production went up later in the season too. It depends on the $ obviously but I don't think it's that easy to replace Ogbah.

You're right, and Baker and Van Noy´s sack production went up later in the season too. It depends on the $ obviously but I don't think it's that easy to replace Ogbah.

he’s tbe hardest but again it’s a money think 2 year at $12 mil per I probably do it but I’m not dropping a brinks truck in front of a guy that has basically one year of consistent production in a scheme that does a lot of the driving.

find base des that can set the edge vs the run primary and have the length etc to give tackles some pass rush issues. Base des shouldn’t cost big money when their primary value is run d.

and they shouldn’t be that hard to find. Look for guys who failed in other teams schemes to produce pass rush this teams moved on but set the edge well. And always keep in mind your stunt and blitz game is driving it. Not individual player talent.

until we actually land something that doesn’t need the scheme to do the driving. That’s what you pay

and accordingly don’t invest high draft pick premium in it.

So considering what I just said to you I could see Miami being high on a carlos basham. Run setting de.

however I wouldn’t invest a first round pick in anything that doesn’t consistently win vs a tackle as a pass rusher. The value is just not there.

so for my money unless basham were to fall into a more correct range even though my scheme values his game I’m more likely to look for him once some team let’s him go cause he doesn’t win enough as a pure edge rusher when their scheme requires more individual win.

a rebound candidate in other words. Like ogbah was and to some extent Lawson was last year. Assuming he has the football character/makeup that Flores requires

he’s tbe hardest but again it’s a money think 2 year at $12 mil per I probably do it but I’m not dropping a brinks truck in front of a guy that has basically one year of consistent production in a scheme that does a lot of the driving.

find base des that can set the edge vs the run primary and have the length etc to give tackles some pass rush issues. Base des shouldn’t cost big money when their primary value is run d.

and they shouldn’t be that hard to find. Look for guys who failed in other teams schemes to produce pass rush this teams moved on but set the edge well. And always keep in mind your stunt and blitz game is driving it. Not individual player talent.

until we actually land something that doesn’t need the scheme to do the driving. That’s what you pay

and accordingly don’t invest high draft pick premium in it.

I agree re scheme, which is why we're investing so much capital in our CBs. And we can't pay everyone. I think Shaq Lawson types are easy to find, but I'd like to keep Ogbah if we can. I have a feeling he's very keen to stay so there could be a deal to be done.

Just curious, what are your thoughts on Oweh? Incredible athlete but can he play football?

So considering what I just said to you I could see Miami being high on a carlos basham. Run setting de.

however I wouldn’t invest a first round pick in anything that doesn’t consistently win vs a tackle as a pass rusher. The value is just not there.

so for my money unless basham were to fall into a more correct range even though my scheme values his game I’m more likely to look for him once some team let’s him go cause he doesn’t win enough as a pure edge rusher when their scheme requires more individual win.

a rebound candidate in other words. Like ogbah was and to some extent Lawson was last year. Assuming he has the football character/makeup that Flores requires
I've been thinking that Basham could be a target. Definitely can set the edge.

More pressure than sacks, but maybe the type that can wear offensive linemen down.

Playing at Wake Forest has b to be factored in, in terms of talent. But, by all accounts, he had a good week at the Senior Bowl.

I agree re scheme, which is why we're investing so much capital in our CBs. And we can't pay everyone. I think Shaq Lawson types are easy to find, but I'd like to keep Ogbah if we can. I have a feeling he's very keen to stay so there could be a deal to be done.

Just curious, what are your thoughts on Oweh? Incredible athlete but can he play football?

speaking of Lawson he was what a top 25 pick. Would anyone be happy with that level pro return in a top 25 pick? I know I wouldn’t. Just another example of why in this scheme I don’t see the need to overdraft edge players.

to me Lawson should be a year to year guy tbe rest of his career as in he signs for 1 year. Prove it every year.

anyways no I haven’t looked at Oweh yet so I couldn’t say but I do think Miami is unlikely to invest in an early pick full time on the los de.

I see them more in the off ball or hybrid on/off ball lb market than anything else defensively. In terms of front 7 early draft investment

and I would agree with you I do think there is a deal to be had that meets both parties with regards to ogbah I’m just not in a rush to make it. He should also probably understand that the success he’s having here in our scheme probably won’t be replicated in another and in terms of that maybe he should take a bird in hand type offer from Miami if/when it does come.

Back
Top Bottom