F1 Strikes Preliminary Deal To Hold 2021 Race At Miami Dolphins Stadium | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

F1 Strikes Preliminary Deal To Hold 2021 Race At Miami Dolphins Stadium

DOLBET

Starter
Reaction score
The Herald reports that Formula One came to a preliminary agreement with the Miami Dolphins’ Hard Rock Stadium for a race in May 2021, and both are waiting for approval from the government of Miami-Dade County.

On Sunday there were about 30-50 people on the corners around the stadium with large signs protesting this. Not sure the upside/downside so I don’t really have an opinion either way.

Imagine getting an F1 car to play running back for us or maybe defensive tackle. We haven't had a 2 way player in a really long time.

This, from Garfinkel's twitter account:
(of course, no mention of the effect on loss off Parking Spaces and Tailgating):
Any of the word on this ?

If that goes through it will end tailgating as we know it and to be honest, since tailgating is a major part of my stadium experience, it probably will end my days as a season ticket holder.
Plus I am getting older and it is a frigging hike from the outside lots.

So the track would be there year-round?

So the track would be there year-round?
I would assume. It's like the tennis center. Can't disassemble everything and rebuild everything. Technically you could also tailgate on asphalt but I am not sure if they want to redo the asphalt every year. It does take a beating during a two-team tailgating season.

A lot of Grand Prix circuits that aren't permanent structures are very pop up. At times, outside of a few weeks, you can never tell a major auto race takes place there. I assume the grandstands outside of the main straight, which would house the paddock, would all be temporary. Basically like when they run street circuits.

Check out the link below...

How Monaco Looks Before and After Formula 1 Arrives

A lot of Grand Prix circuits that aren't permanent structures are very pop up. At times, outside of a few weeks, you can never tell a major auto race takes place there. I assume the grandstands outside of the main straight, which would house the paddock, would all be temporary. Basically like when they run street circuits.

Yeah I bet all the structures near the stadium are mobile. The tennis tournament has temporary seating. They could leave the awnings which could be useful to tailgating but the stands, like at many stadiums, arenas, etc., are probably going to be collapsible. Probably need to accommodate around 100,00 on race day.

2019-miami-open-tennis-at-hard-rock-stadium-backhand-city-tennis-miami-tickets-300x225.jpg
Backhand-City-2019-Miami-Open-Ticket-Guide-at-Hard-Rock-Stadium-Miami-Tennis-jpeg.png

Image result for hard rock stadium tennis 2020 open

As an f1 fan? It's difficult to get excited about a race around a carpark. And I have always got the impression hard rock is in a field in the middle of nowhere so it wont exactly have the views of downtown Singapore either.

So many of the modern f1 tracks suck and kill good racing but are on the calendar because the organisers put up a lot of upfront $$$. it's hard to imagine the hard rock car park being any different.

F1 wanted a Miami street race for a while, but that talk had never involved the stadium until now.

Last edited:

Monaco is also one of the worst tracks on the circuit and makes overtaking virtually impossible due to the size and speed of modern cars. It however is the jewel in the crown because of historical significance and the impact of the location.

Not sure how historically significant the hard rock car park is, but Ross has clearly offered to give the US company which recently bought F1 a lot of money to make up for Miami's local government rejecting the south beach race F1 wanted

I would assume. It's like the tennis center. Can't disassemble everything and rebuild everything. Technically you could also tailgate on asphalt but I am not sure if they want to redo the asphalt every year. It does take a beating during a two-team tailgating season.

F1 is more about science and maths than anything else these days (not a good development) and teams get pissy when even a slight resurfacing makes them modify their calculations for tyre wear etc. Resurfacing every year seems unlikely - assuming Ross is thinking long term and this isnt just something they have come up with on a whim

F1 is more about science and maths than anything else these days (not a good development) and teams get pissy when even a slight resurfacing makes than modify their calculations for tyre wear etc. Resurfacing every year seems unlikely - assuming Ross is thinking long term and this isnt just something they have come up with on a whim
I figured something like that and I hoped someone with more F1 knowledge would chime in.
Miami always wanted to do a "Grand Prix of Miami" for F1 on a yearly basis but it really always fell apart because the F1 didn't want a street race type environment permanently. They had two (80s and 90s) but those were held in park areas and were only temporary. The 2021 race would be a test race. But the goal is to do it on a more permanent basis.

It will be just like the stupid tennis center crap. Once a year use and all year present.

Yeah it should be temporary like the most street races. I've race in a few with go karts and you can't even tell there is a track there 51 weeks of the year. For F1 I'm sure some of the stuff might stick around. It is my favorite type of racing. You can't practice the track. You have to figure it all out in one week or weekend. Very challenging. That said if it comes to be might have to come down to watch one of the races.

Back
Top Bottom