FA Agent Signings | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

FA Agent Signings

IAFINFAN

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Is anyone other than me concerned that Miami isn't going after another linebacker? I like Greenwood and Thomas but don't think that we have any other play makers on the roster. Rogers doesn't excite me and we are weak on quality back ups. I would have love Miami to make a push to get Nickerson for this year, but nothing shows where Miami is even looking. I hope this doesn't turn into a mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, let me ask you something... Why, would Nickerson want to come to the Dolphins?? He is a Middle Linebacker, and we already have Zach. He will get a starting position somewhere in the league... and probably get paid a lot of money for it. We don't have the kind of money he will command in free agency to pay a backup.

It is the same situation we are in on the Offensive Line. Yes, we have a need... but there is nobody available that can be had for a reasonable price that is either A) an upgrade over our starters, or B) an upgrade over our backups that is willing to accept a backup role/pay. We have a need but we can't magically make available a linebacker/offensive lineman that fits into our needs.

I'm sure if someone was available that would work in our situation we would be making a strong bid for their services. Unfortuantely right now that is not the case.

I think we need another wr and de and we probably dont have money for anything else.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, there may be trade possibilities during or shortly after the preseason. Do we really need to carry RW, Minor, Henry, AND Edwards? McNown and maybe a low round draft pick may also attract some interest in a package deal.

We need burnett and westbrook. Burnett will bring a good back up end. Westbrook will bring a cheap wr with a big upside, and more importantly a prior knowledge of norvs system.

Westbrook

I read on ESPN that he is going to check out Cinny for a possible WR spot.

IMHO... the LBs look pretty good... unless Zach goes down, then we're in touble. I'd rather see more depth across the OL and DL and/or another WR.

Originally posted by IAFINFAN
Is anyone other than me concerned that Miami isn't going after another linebacker? I like Greenwood and Thomas but don't think that we have any other play makers on the roster. Rogers doesn't excite me and we are weak on quality back ups. I would have love Miami to make a push to get Nickerson for this year, but nothing shows where Miami is even looking. I hope this doesn't turn into a mistake.

I know I'm biased to OLB Rodgers because he played JC ball at RCC, our local Community College for a friend of mine. He's a fantastic person, and if we lose him I think we lose alot in terms of leadership. I'm still not convinced that he is the defensive player we have under used the most. His calling card has always been the pass rush, speed...etc...yet how often do we blitz him on the inside or outside? His under used roll reminds me alot of Konrad on our Offense. I think Both could be much better playmakers if given the chance.

Well said.....

Originally posted by grooves12
Well, let me ask you something... Why, would Nickerson want to come to the Dolphins?? He is a Middle Linebacker, and we already have Zach. He will get a starting position somewhere in the league... and probably get paid a lot of money for it. We don't have the kind of money he will command in free agency to pay a backup.

It is the same situation we are in on the Offensive Line. Yes, we have a need... but there is nobody available that can be had for a reasonable price that is either A) an upgrade over our starters, or B) an upgrade over our backups that is willing to accept a backup role/pay. We have a need but we can't magically make available a linebacker/offensive lineman that fits into our needs.

I'm sure if someone was available that would work in our situation we would be making a strong bid for their services. Unfortuantely right now that is not the case.

Exactly my thoughts Dolfan!

I agree with the assessment of the OL there, but disagree with the linebackers assessment. Nickerson will not be paid a lot of money. He's gonna get the veteran's minimum. As likely will Keith Mitchell (maybe a little bit over the min) or Bernardo Harris. All are linebackers that were at one time capable, and all are linebackers who have seen their time pass by them.

After June 1st, free agent linebackers tend to be guys you look to add in a role playing situation or as a backup for little money. IMO we could get Nickerson easily to backup at all 3 positions (or just MLB), however we might have to sacrifice Burnett or Jay Williams to do it cuz I'm not sure we got the money to do two things anymore.

Back
Top Bottom