Facts to face during HC search | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Facts to face during HC search

MexDolfan

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Perhaps everybody is still blaming Saban for leaving, but he wasn't cool in the NFL, because he trusted too much on Daunte's recovering.
He was so sure that with Culpepper the main position would be solid, that he bring in a creative guy like Murlakey to run an unpredictable mix of schemes.
Reality made him face that his Pro-bowler QB was too far from recovery and his starter was to be choseen between a failed project called Joey Harrington and a lacking experiencie guy like Cleo Lemmon. We all know none of them were elite and our creative offense became unoffensive.

I really hated to see that disaster happened, and takes my mind to think about the facts to face while searching for a new HC.

a) The new HC must work with most of the actual roster.
No matter which style of mentallity (offensive, defensive, mixed or whatever) may bring, he won't be allowed to rebuild from zero and make fantasy picks, because of the complexity of the contracts.
Our new HC will have little to change in our roster. I can't figure Joey return, but also i have tons of doubts about Culpepper, and Cleo Lemmon can't be pointed as sure starter, so with a nice Harrington deal (that is hard to expect as a fist day pick in the draft, but may lead to some late picks) we have room for a new QB.
So because most of the real changes are on the defensive side of the ball, it's hard to hope for soon results if an offensive coordinator would he hired.

b) As pointed in many articles, our team needs mayor makeovers everywhere.
Saban's master plan included a healty Culpepper and security assurance on Harrington to deal while recovering in the first weeks, but he trusted his medical reports (and many jersey sales stats) and started Daunte since week 1, something that may have impacted in the worst way during Culpepper recovery.
This way, Coach Saban was in big problems because of the Culppeper situation, failure of Joey a regular-to-bad O-linemen, an aging defensive and lack of playmakers in both receiving corps and secondary defense.
The aging defense is the reason that most draft mocks are pointing for a defensive icon (Frank Okam, Alan Branch, Gaines Adams), while most of the fans are hoping for a QB as first pick in the draft.
This is why nobody would answer an easy "yes" when asked for enrolement.

c) This is Miami, not Pittsburgh.
Take a look for almost any NFL coach and you would find a nicktator similar. I mean most of the head-coaches in the league are harder than stone, passionate men that will throw the headset, scream every single play and look like the Hulk sometimes. Even there are exceptions, this was a fitting point in Nick Saban for the NFL, but not for the Miami Dolphins.
This team won't change into black jerseys, we seem to have nice people in the roster (no matter how bad Ricky was stalked), so men like Matt Roth with very agresive profile, or a women stalker player or the unfamous Randy McMichael's incidient about pregnant wife attack was like seeing a happy tree friends episode.
Our new leader must have the style of a pacific smart guy to deal with the press while forging a winning dynasty, Bates is a likely guy because of this fact.

d) 1973 - 1984 - 2000 - 2001
It's been a long road since our last playoff game, a year far from our last conference championship and two decades from a SB game, and young fans like me (I'm 30) haven't lived an NFL title.
I hate to be out of playoff, must change. So long Saban.

Perhaps everybody is still blaming Saban for leaving, but he wasn't cool in the NFL, because he trusted too much on Daunte's recovering.
He was so sure that with Culpepper the main position would be solid, that he bring in a creative guy like Murlakey to run an unpredictable mix of schemes.
Reality made him face that his Pro-bowler QB was too far from recovery and his starter was to be choseen between a failed project called Joey Harrington and a lacking experiencie guy like Cleo Lemmon. We all know none of them were elite and our creative offense became unoffensive.

I really hated to see that disaster happened, and takes my mind to think about the facts to face while searching for a new HC.

a) The new HC must work with most of the actual roster.
No matter which style of mentallity (offensive, defensive, mixed or whatever) may bring, he won't be allowed to rebuild from zero and make fantasy picks, because of the complexity of the contracts.
Our new HC will have little to change in our roster. I can't figure Joey return, but also i have tons of doubts about Culpepper, and Cleo Lemmon can't be pointed as sure starter, so with a nice Harrington deal (that is hard to expect as a fist day pick in the draft, but may lead to some late picks) we have room for a new QB.
So because most of the real changes are on the defensive side of the ball, it's hard to hope for soon results if an offensive coordinator would he hired.

b) As pointed in many articles, our team needs mayor makeovers everywhere.
Saban's master plan included a healty Culpepper and security assurance on Harrington to deal while recovering in the first weeks, but he trusted his medical reports (and many jersey sales stats) and started Daunte since week 1, something that may have impacted in the worst way during Culpepper recovery.
This way, Coach Saban was in big problems because of the Culppeper situation, failure of Joey a regular-to-bad O-linemen, an aging defensive and lack of playmakers in both receiving corps and secondary defense.
The aging defense is the reason that most draft mocks are pointing for a defensive icon (Frank Okam, Alan Branch, Gaines Adams), while most of the fans are hoping for a QB as first pick in the draft.
This is why nobody would answer an easy "yes" when asked for enrolement.

c) This is Miami, not Pittsburgh.
Take a look for almost any NFL coach and you would find a nicktator similar. I mean most of the head-coaches in the league are harder than stone, passionate men that will throw the headset, scream every single play and look like the Hulk sometimes. Even there are exceptions, this was a fitting point in Nick Saban for the NFL, but not for the Miami Dolphins.
This team won't change into black jerseys, we seem to have nice people in the roster (no matter how bad Ricky was stalked), so men like Matt Roth with very agresive profile, or a women stalker player or the unfamous Randy McMichael's incidient about pregnant wife attack was like seeing a happy tree friends episode.
Our new leader must have the style of a pacific smart guy to deal with the press while forging a winning dynasty, Bates is a likely guy because of this fact.

d) 1973 - 1984 - 2000 - 2001
It's been a long road since our last playoff game, a year far from our last conference championship and two decades from a SB game, and young fans like me (I'm 30) haven't lived an NFL title.
I hate to be out of playoff, must change. So long Saban.

right off the bat, you say the HC must work with most of the actual roster, and in the same breath you are saying you don't trust the QB.

Look...it is plain and simple.

- bring in an offesive minded HC
- draft a "franchise" QB - trade up if needed
- build the team around the new QB
- get some FA's on defense...a new CB, DL

And then, start re-building the team for the long haul.

Stop all speculations/expectations of a SB in the near future...settle for steady improvement...maybe playoffs in 1-2 years.

For now, we just need an exciting/fun-to-watch team again.

Everything else will fall in place.

right off the bat, you say the HC must work with most of the actual roster, and in the same breath you are saying you don't trust the QB.

Stop all speculations/expectations of a SB in the near future...settle for steady improvement...maybe playoffs in 1-2 years.

No...we need a team that will win on a consistent basis again. Having a fun offense to watch doesn't guarantee success.

No...we need a team that will win on a consistent basis again. Having a fun offense to watch doesn't guarantee success.
Agree. I noted that most of our roster will keep and without anything sure at QB, there's something to change, but the most of things to do are on defense, because a CONSISTENT defense upgrades the entire team. A fun offense may sell tickets, but won't make any other thing for sure.

One thing that most people are saying is that we need an OC as a coach. I completely agree as our offense has been miserable for a long time. I would love, LOVE to see us become a team that runs up the score like the Colts. We did this in the Marino era, and although our D sucked, our team was fun as hell to root for.

Amen brother!

you did not read the whole sentence...it starts with FOR NOW.

and i did not say offense...i said team

nor did i say i don't want the team to win, but, in the process of re-building, we may have to take some lumps (losing more than we win).

its a process, and it will take time. having an exciting, fun-to-watch team is a step in that process.

Agree. I noted that most of our roster will keep and without anything sure at QB, there's something to change, but the most of things to do are on defense, because a CONSISTENT defense upgrades the entire team. A fun offense may sell tickets, but won't make any other thing for sure.

really...our defense ranked 4th in the league...where did our offense rank ? so, in our case, a top notch defense upgraded or our offense ? is that what you are saying ?

check where the defense of the teams currently in the playoffs ranked.

you will be surprised.

marino's offense sold tickets and won games, in spite of a lousy defense

I expect the next HC to rework the roster to his liking. The Phins are (by most accounts) $25mil under the cap. That's enough room to dump some bad contracts. No on signing impact free agents, yes on trading those bad contracts for draft picks.

Next years team will be about X's/ O's and building core depth. The wins will take care of themselves.

Gotta rip it down, to build back up.

Back
Top Bottom