Falcons are expected to release defensive tackle Paul Soliai | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Falcons are expected to release defensive tackle Paul Soliai

Falcons are eating a lot of dead money for 2016 for only nominal savings. They must really be unhappy with him to already be parting ways only two years into a 5 years contract. He won't be getting near in his next contract what he got in his last contract money wise. Might be a cheap option as a space eater beside Suh. Probably be able to sign him for only a bit more than the savings we'd get from cutting Mitchell. He would complement Suh far better than Mitchell. But I agree for a little more cash there are probably better options out there.

I'm not sure how much Soliai had to do with it, but Atlanta was solid against the run last year at 13th in the league.

free agent DT Paul Soliai "would like to return" to the Dolphins.

According to the Miami Herald, free agent DT Paul Soliai "would like to return" to the Dolphins.

Soliai's release will become official on March 9, at which point he'll be free to sign anywhere. Returning to the Fins is a sneaky-good fit for a heavyweight nose tackle approaching age 33 and best suited to work in a rotation. The Dolphins need to upgrade their interior bodies around Ndamukong Suh.
Related: Dolphins

Source: Armando Salguero on Twitter
Feb 21 - 10:24 AM

I can't stand Canter, but if you can get him to bring us Soliai and Weddle, that would be a huge step in the right direction for this off season.

Falcons are eating a lot of dead money for 2016 for only nominal savings. They must really be unhappy with him to already be parting ways only two years into a 5 years contract. He won't be getting near in his next contract what he got in his last contract money wise. Might be a cheap option as a space eater beside Suh. Probably be able to sign him for only a bit more than the savings we'd get from cutting Mitchell. He would complement Suh far better than Mitchell. But I agree for a little more cash there are probably better options out there.

I'm not sure how much Soliai had to do with it, but Atlanta was solid against the run last year at 13th in the league.

Pretty much similar scenario to what happened with us and Hartline. I would only sign him at league minimum and see what he has but he wasnt good for Atlanta regardless of their overall run defense.

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 24s24 seconds ago
Omar Kelly Retweeted Danny Weier
Yes....and Soliai wants to come home to Miami. He can take on two, which frees up Suh

Oh mar . . .

Sounds great to type out but you've got to put some football sense into it.

In general what is being described here is a similar scheme to what Seattle is known for. A 4-3 Under/Over front where in certain situations or calls the 1 tech plays 2 gap and the 3 tech plays 1 gap giving the 3 tech (Suh) the opportunity to play fast and pursue, while the 1 tech (Soliai for example) tries his best to occupy the double A or A/B gaps. Problem is, this is exactly what caused Solai to fall out favor when Dan Quinn brought the Seattle 4-3 defense to Atlanta. Soliai lost playing time and was not able to do what Omar is describing as such a novel idea here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Knighton is a lazy fatty. No thanks. We have enough low character bozos on this team. Soliai is an ex-fatty who's getting old now but we wouldn't be asking him to two gap. Make 'em block you, Paul. Defensive tackles do tend to age well, especially the pluggers.

That being said I'd rather have Damon Harrison than either one.

If the goals a 2 down cheap plugger that's not gonna be Damon Harrison...there's nothing cheap about that

Knighton is a lazy fatty. No thanks. We have enough low character bozos on this team. Soliai is an ex-fatty who's getting old now but we wouldn't be asking him to two gap. Make 'em block you, Paul. Defensive tackles do tend to age well, especially the pluggers.

That being said I'd rather have Damon Harrison than either one.

Harrison is going to come at a hefty price after the season he just put up.

Big Paul would do exactly what we hope of the guy next to Suh. He is exceptional against the run, and would eat up linemen like pizza and cheeseburgers at a fat-farm. Would love to see him come back, as long as he does not ask for a ridiculous amount of $.

Harrison is going to come at a hefty price after the season he just put up.

rotoworld said:
ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini reports impending free agent NT Damon Harrison is likely looking for "at least" $5 million annually on a new contract.

The Jets reportedly value re-signing Harrison as highly as keeping RE Muhammad Wilkerson, who is also scheduled for free agency. Harrison "believes he's the best 3-4 nose tackle in the league" and wants to be paid like it. Vince Wilfork and Terrance Knighton made $4.45 million annually in 2015 as the league's highest-paid pure 3-4 nose tackles. "Big Snacks" should best that.

I'd pay $5 million for Harrison. When Suh is making $20 million? No problem.

Back
Top Bottom