Fanball: Carey unimpressive in camp | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fanball: Carey unimpressive in camp

texasPHINSfan

Pro Bowl
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been reported.... but from fanball in an email (hence i can't post a link):

August 10, 2004 10:00 AM ET
Dolphins: Carey unimpressive in camp
The News
Offensive tackle Vernon Carey has not impressed the Dolphins thus far in training camp. The rookie is currently lagging behind John St. Clair as the starter and it looks like he will be the backup, at least for now. "[Carey] has to perform at right tackle. He has to lock it down," offensive line coach Tony Wise told the Miami Herald.
Our View
The Fins gave up a fourth round pick in the 2004 draft to move up one spot to snare Carey, who they expected would solidify a questionable offensive line by stepping in at the starting right tackle position. With all of the other uncertainty surrounding the offense in Miami, the team can't afford to have their offensive line be a weak spot once again this year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is NOT cool.... i really hope he can shape up enough to earn that starting spot. What is it with this offseason!???

Who was it that said he has been unimpressive? He may be disapointing to some people, but for god sake give him atleast till the end of the first preseason game to make such an assesment. Lets not forget that he is rookie with very high expectations.

Kim Bokamper this morning was saying that Carey looked good and didnt understand why he was behind St Clair for the moment..

I don't see why we can't move him to guard for right now. We get McIntosh back next year and he will move in then anyway. Let him get the reps and for god sake why are we thinking about putting Jerman or Whitley in the starting lineup. They don't belong there. St. Clair is a good enough holdover until McIntosh. Carey finished playing guard at Miami anyway. If McIntosh(Next Year) or St. Clair(This year) busts move him over but why not get him some reps with the starters.

Trackstar#6 said:
Who was it that said he has been unimpressive? He may be disapointing to some people, but for god sake give him atleast till the end of the first preseason game to make such an assesment. Lets not forget that he is rookie with very high expectations.
All he said was that he's unimpressive in practice. Carey is our first round pick not to mention the fourth round pick we gave up to get him. I know what you're saying about waiting to see him play but I'm sure you also want updates on how he's doing so far.

a rookie RT? Tackle is the hardest position to play on the O-Line. Give the guy a break

Wait a second. I thought they said McIntosh will be ready by Week 6. He's cleared to start practicing at the end of August, right?

Anyone have confirmation on this?

Moving him inside is starting to make more and more sense. Whitley and Jerman can't handle the 1st team and St. Clair looks like he'll at least be able to hold down the RT spot for the first few games until McIntosh steps in.

this is bs being reported cus wise made his statements the other day. ever notice that stuff like this gets written after a coach says something that has a negative potential for a more negative story? ill just watch the preseason game and look for myself.

finfan54 said:
this is bs being reported cus wise made his statements the other day. ever notice that stuff like this gets written after a coach says something that has a negative potential for a more negative story? ill just watch the preseason game and look for myself.

wuh?

Just look at what Ozzy has said on this issue. The thing Carey lacks at this point is consistency from one play to the next. He will completely dominate his man on one play, and be out of position on the next. Right now, based on what Ozzy says, his struggles do not appear to be physical at all. They are all mental at this point. The mentality is usually the last thing that comes, and it usually comes with experience.

KBISBACK said:
Just look at what Ozzy has said on this issue. The thing Carey lacks at this point is consistency from one play to the next. He will completely dominate his man on one play, and be out of position on the next. Right now, based on what Ozzy says, his struggles do not appear to be physical at all. They are all mental at this point. The mentality is usually the last thing that comes, and it usually comes with experience.
Sound like his bio from college.The man is not a quick study :confused: .(Doesnt anybody pay attention to IQ on this team when they draft :goof: ?). I am confident he will get it eventually and contribute.:idea:

However I still think Carey was an early second rounder and was a stretch at that point in the draft especially since they gave away a fourth pick to ensure that the "Phantom Team" did not get him first.:hump:

vince wilfork, micheal jenkins, rashaun woods, were all present at the dolphins draft choice. CAREY BETTER START

patswho? said:
vince wilfork, micheal jenkins, rashaun woods, were all present at the dolphins draft choice. CAREY BETTER START

are any of those players starting at this time?

Back
Top Bottom