Fanduel's view of Miami as a trade destination IF Deshaun Watson wants out of Houston | Page 36 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fanduel's view of Miami as a trade destination IF Deshaun Watson wants out of Houston

His cap number is 10 mil for team that gets him this year. That's dirt cheap. Cap will explode for us the following year.

His cap number is $15mill this year and $40 mill next. Before we resign anyone we have $32 mill this year to spend, Watson would take half that figure, with the big money due the following year. We would also be taking a dead cap hit on trading Tua ! By the time we resign all our own players we'll have nothing left and no draft picks in the top 2 rounds !! Assuming and it's a big assumption that he doesn't want to renegotiate to move, he'll be wanting somewhere close to the 1/2 billion that mahomes just got !! We won't be the only suitor, there are other teams like the Pats for example with a lot more wiggle room to make this work. He's courting interest to push the price up, if we show an interest, we had better damn well seal the deal because there would be no way back with Tua.

The sensible course of action is to stay on course and back the guy you had so much faith in last year when you drafted him.

Props on a 24-0 lead, but you if you had a 24 point head start and still couldn't win a football game, I don't think you did things right.

Maybe you can't conceive of the idea that someone might want to keep a guy who was good enough of a prospect that he was drafted 5th overall despite having an injury that might prevent him from ever playing again. I thought Tua was pretty bad this year, I'd rate myself as one of his most staunchest critics on here out of the ones who don't lack rationality. I thought Fitzpatrick gave a team poised for the playoffs the best chance to win. But you know what, I'm not ready to give up on the potential of a guy who struggled a bit AS A ROOKIE where the vast majority of his passing routes were run by special teams caliber receivers like Grant, Hollins, Ford, and a Lynn Bowden who hasn't ever gotten open more than ten yards downfield but who people on the board love for this shimmy on 7 yard gains, an offensive line of rookies, and no training camp or normal practice and meeting environment.

Yes, I actually think that in a few years Tua could be better than Deshaun Watson. Even after an uimpressive rookie year. I remember how Tannehill had moments but largely couldn't put on foot in front on the other his rookie year. Next year we nearly made the playoffs despite a pretty worthless defense, an offensive line that was bad before we lost Johnathan Martin AND Richie Incognito in one go, and a running game so bad it makes this year look like Walter Payton.

Deshaun Watson has ability, but he also runs in circles in the pocket and runs into defenders like Michael Vick while holding the ball as if he's got the 1990s Cowboys line in front of him. There are small parts of the game he doesn't do well even though he throws for 4700 yards. Don't get me wrong, he's not a bad quarterback. I'd take him in a heartbeat if we didn't have a QB of the future. A team with a complete vacancy should throw everything at the Texans. But I want to see what Tua has.

Building the roster and "cap room" really don't belong in the same sentence. You supplement a good core with free agency. You don't create one, because not only will that soon get too expensive for you to keep building, but with every free agent you sign you're paying for production he gave another team, and they'll only be worth that for like three years...maybe if you're lucky. And if you don't have young talent on the roster ready to take over when those guys are cut or leave, you can't afford to replace them adequately in FA, nor can you count on getting an instant contribution from a rookie.

We need to build through the draft. We have a potential franchise QB on the roster. Let's improve the roster with the picks we have, instead of picking up a QB who went 4-12 and saddling him with mostly the same core because we gave up picks and we lost a huge amount of cap money. It's a recipe for mediocrity.
Dead On Spud.....My exact thoughts

Actually cap is likely to go down this year due to Covid.
Don't be ridiculous. Like inflation, will only go up.
NFL is not that stupid. The player union will organize a walk out if that happens.

His cap number is $15mill this year and $40 mill next. Before we resign anyone we have $32 mill this year to spend, Watson would take half that figure, with the big money due the following year. We would also be taking a dead cap hit on trading Tua ! By the time we resign all our own players we'll have nothing left and no draft picks in the top 2 rounds !! Assuming and it's a big assumption that he doesn't want to renegotiate to move, he'll be wanting somewhere close to the 1/2 billion that mahomes just got !! We won't be the only suitor, there are other teams like the Pats for example with a lot more wiggle room to make this work. He's courting interest to push the price up, if we show an interest, we had better damn well seal the deal because there would be no way back with Tua.

The sensible course of action is to stay on course and back the guy you had so much faith in last year when you drafted him.
That’s an EXCELLENT POINT Geo. If Tua does gets wind of this if we miss on the trade....We’re in a bad spot. Totally agree.

I still don't get it. How stupid and dysfunctional the Hou FO is? Watson is their franchise, its critical to keep the franchise player happy, as long as his wish is not ridiculous.

Ok, he want Bieniemy to get an interview,...fine, set up a 30 minutes Zoom interview. It doesn't cost a dime. How hard could it be?

The fact that the FO did promise to hear his input then later went behind his back, I don't blame DW a bit.

Now given the fact thst DW really wants out, and we are the only team that has both young qb and draft capital, I think we don't have to give up a lot for DW. I am thinking, give them Tua, our third and a secound round this year. That's it. No more.
Not just getting him for WAtson but Bieniemy is a good coach. He could really have a good spark for miamis' offense plus he seems innovative too. I believe fins will get good WRs for Watson too in draft this year. And Flores is a good coach and probably why Watson wants to play for miami. The culture he feels is promising unlike Houston.

That’s an EXCELLENT POINT Geo. If Tua does gets wind of this if we miss on the trade....We’re in a bad spot. Totally agree.
Dolphins got do w best for francise.. Tua under contract..only thing Tua can do get prepared for next yr. You think john Elways care about qb.. no

Not just getting him for WAtson but Bieniemy is a good coach. He could really have a good spark for miamis' offense plus he seems innovative too. I believe fins will get good WRs for Watson too in draft this year. And Flores is a good coach and probably why Watson wants to play for miami. The culture he feels is promising unlike Houston.
Good take.
Getting DW and Bieniemy as OC in one swing.

Last edited:
Most players realise the NFL is a business. Ok, QBs often are treated differently, but it’s still a business decision. Same goes for us if Fields or another quarterback totally blows us out of the water in the draft process. Tua is an asset and although he is a very talented one, he’s not yet proven himself to be indispensable.

His reaction could go two ways. Tua might play with a chip on his shoulder or it could light a fire under him, whatever the cliche, Tua plays lights out to prove with us (or another team) that he’s a star quarterback; or, if he stays here he takes the huff and wants out. The more realistic of the two if he’s the competitor he claims to be is the former, he’ll want to prove a point with us or another team.

That said, the team needs to make the best decision for the team and not worry about Tua’s feelings. He’s only part of the puzzle and has yet to prove he’s the main piece .

No thank you. Tua need to go

Most players realise the NFL is a business. Ok, QBs often are treated differently, but it’s still a business decision. Same goes for us if Fields or another quarterback totally blows us out of the water in the draft process. Tua is an asset and although he is a very talented one, he’s not yet proven himself to be indispensable.

His reaction could go two ways. Tua might play with a chip on his shoulder or it could light a fire under him, whatever the cliche, Tua plays lights out to prove with us (or another team) that he’s a star quarterback; or, if he stays here he takes the huff and wants out. The more realistic of the two if he’s the competitor he claims to be is the former, he’ll want to prove a point with us or another team.

That said, the team needs to make the best decision for the team and not worry about Tua’s feelings. He’s only part of the puzzle and has yet to prove he’s the main piece .

Yes this man speak logic. 6-3 11 td/5 pick 64% comp rating not good enough. NFL is business we have to move on and get someone better. Wilson or Field go 15-1 maybe 40 td 5 pick and 75% comp rating. Tua stink.

Do it in secrecy.
True, but Tua would have to be extremely naive to think that the Dolphins will not be considering their options, be it in the draft or through trading for a star QB like Watson. The Cardinals showed that just because you draft a QB high doesn’t mean they’ll get a second year if someone better comes along. Same goes here. If our front office believe Watson can take us to the next level and we can acquire him, they’ll do it and not consider what Tua thinks or feels. Same goes if they believe a QB in the draft is a better option to build around, they’ll do it and not consider what Tua thinks or feels. It’s a business decision.

Granted I’m not on the draft someone new bandwagon. I’d prefer to give Tua time and build around him. But at the end of the day the team has to do what’s best for the team long term. Tua is a smart kid, he’ll know that discussions will be taking place even though our front office came out and said he’s our QB in 2021.

True, but Tua would have to be extremely naive to think that the Dolphins will not be considering their options, be it in the draft or through trading for a star QB like Watson. The Cardinals showed that just because you draft a QB high doesn’t mean they’ll get a second year if someone better comes along. Same goes here. If our front office believe Watson can take us to the next level and we can acquire him, they’ll do it and not consider what Tua thinks or feels. Same goes if they believe a QB in the draft is a better option to build around, they’ll do it and not consider what Tua thinks or feels. It’s a business decision.

Granted I’m not on the draft someone new bandwagon. I’d prefer to give Tua time and build around him. But at the end of the day the team has to do what’s best for the team long term. Tua is a smart kid, he’ll know that discussions will be taking place even though our front office came out and said he’s our QB in 2021.

yes he right cardinal show that Rosen go 3-13 with 11 td and 14 pick with 55% comp and 66 rating is same as 6-3 11 td and 5 pick and 64% comp and 87 rating is same thing and can be up for trading.

u never know lol these whacky nfl gms I would trade Tua in heartbeat, same as Rosen

Yes this man speak logic. 6-3 11 td/5 pick 64% comp rating not good enough. NFL is business we have to move on and get someone better. Wilson or Field go 15-1 maybe 40 td 5 pick and 75% comp rating. Tua stink.
The kid showed flashes of potential, but he was far from showing that he’s untouchable. End of the day when the majority of your passes are short to intermediate it is expected that your QB will complete in excess of 60%. When your passing offense is conservative it is expected you will throw more TDs than INTs. These are reasons why the training wheels should have come off, and why we shouldn’t have kept subbing him out for Fitzpatrick. Now we have question marks over what he can and cannot do, or who he can or cannot become.

Note that I didn’t say Tua stunk or can’t be our quarterback of the future. I am merely stating a fact that this team will make a business decision over him just like they will over another player. If the Dolphins believe Watson will make us a Super Bowl contender, they’ll go for it. If the Dolphins believe another QB in the draft will make us better, they’ll go for it. That’s what the best front offices do, they don’t wait four years to see what happens - they act.

Back
Top Bottom