Fans, Are You Worried About The Dolphins’ Pass Rush? Not Patrick Graham And Here’s Why | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fans, Are You Worried About The Dolphins’ Pass Rush? Not Patrick Graham And Here’s Why

I really am excited about this multiple front defense. But, I see our lack of pass rushers as a real Achilles heel at the moment. You can't fill every hole immediately, and we have a lot of picks next year, but this is a glaring hole. I will be very pleasantly surprised if they generate sacks given this talent.

If I were going to tank, not replacing pass rushers is one easy way to ensure the defense doesn't do well. Just a thought.

I guess we can step into passing lanes and put our hands in the air and wave them lol

I’m shocked some don’t realize the Patriots scheme doesn’t really have typical edge rushers, like a Cam Wake...Trey Flowers was their sack leader at 7.5....the next guy had 4.5.

They have starting caliber players across the field - they play as a unit and have for years - they don’t just coach up DEs

I don't understand how, for 2-3 games a year, Burke/Gase seemed to have quite good game plans, but the other 13-14 looked as if they couldn't spell 'gameplan.'

I don't understand how Burke seemed to have a plain unprocessed vanilla D (e.g., almost no stunts) and the players STILL didn't seem to understand it. Yeah, there were reports it was complicated, but I saw very little to indicate it.

Which gets me to, I agree, if there is one thing that gives me some optimism, it's the coaching. I'm expecting actual gameplans, actual adjustments, actual teaching players 'you have ONE assignment - do it.' No, I have no evidence, and, yes, I'm always a little optimistic with a new HC, but these guys seem to actaully be competent.
This... so much this

You mean doesn't have guys like Chandler Jones? I think what we saw is that the scheme is capable of creating pressure without typical edge rusher, like Cam Wake or Chandler Jones. But, with those guys it produces a lot more bite. They also used dominant NT/DT's like Richard Seymour to allow the scheme to create pass rush in other ways, with lesser talents like Van Noy. But yeah … this scheme needs guys who can pass rush. It just has more flexibility when it doesn't have those guys.

No... I think you miss the point... The Patriots want their D-line to maintain their lanes...stop the run... they utilize blitzes to pressure the QB... which is why their sacks are divided up among many players... versus the edge rusher posting double digit sacks. ... Again, last year Flowers posted 7.5... the next guy had 4.5... Van Noy had 3.5.

The point being...while Wilkens will probably be our Flowers... the rest of the sacks will probably come from Van Ginkel, Baker, McMillan etc etc etc

That was a pretty effective Patriots defense Flores fielded, his only year running the show... so the previous years are somewhat irrelevant.

No... I think you miss the point... The Patriots want their D-line to maintain their lanes...stop the run... they utilize blitzes to pressure the QB... which is why their sacks are divided up among many players... versus the edge rusher posting double digit sacks. ... Again, last year Flowers posted 7.5... the next guy had 4.5... Van Noy had 3.5.

The point being...while Wilkens will probably be our Flowers... the rest of the sacks will probably come from Van Ginkel, Baker, McMillan etc etc etc

That was a pretty effective Patriots defense Flores fielded, his only year running the show... so the previous years are somewhat irrelevant.
I disagree. I made the point that we didn't have edge rushers for a reason. We don't.

You seem to have a different view. You seem to believe that because the Patriots personnel running this system were able to generate pressure in some seasons (like last year) using scheme to generate pressure from numerous sources, that we will be able to do so with our personnel. I disagree. While the system definitely helps … and that's one of the many things I've loved about this multiple front defense and I have been saying since we started discussing bringing in Coach Flores. It does make creating pressure a lot easier, and it's a lot harder for an offense to dominate. It's the jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none defense … so it's always "good" but rarely dominant. That means we'll be blown out a lot less, and if our offense can generate points, we should be in almost every game.

But, we don't have the personnel to do that yet, thus our need for edge rushers is much greater than that of last year's Patriots, which is the comparative example you mentioned.

I didn't miss the point brother … I was making a point. You just disagreed with my point. I see your point as well … and I don't think we have the personnel to overcome the lack of edge rushers. My example of Chandler Jones was to show you that this defense does actually use those types, they just don't rely on them as much as other defenses. But, we have neither the edge rushers nor the comprehensive defensive personnel to make up for that lack with scheme alone. Sorry if this is unclear, I have limited time to reply, so I'm trying to do this all quickly.

It's too bad Wake got a 3yr 26mil deal, because I would have loved to see what an actual competent coaching staff could have done with him this year.

While we dont have a pure passrusher, we still have options. Yes there's Charles Harris and AVG, but dont forget we have 3 aggressive safeties, and Baker has some speed to get inside as well.

Patriots had 30 sacks last year, one fewer than the Dolphins. Both were among the lowest in the NFL. So, yes it's not entirely about sacks. That said, Miami's talent on defense isn't where it needs to be, but the unit as a whole should be better with much better schemes.

Patriots had 30 sacks last year, one fewer than the Dolphins. Both were among the lowest in the NFL. So, yes it's not entirely about sacks. That said, Miami's talent on defense isn't where it needs to be, but the unit as a whole should be better with much better schemes.
I agree. Unless there is something we aren't seeing, we are short at DE (irrespective of scheme), as well as a top cover corner opposite X.

Our depth, aside from the safety position is also suspect, at best.

We do, however have some good, young talent as a core to build around.

X, Minkah, Wilkins and Baker all have pro bowl potential, IMO.

Taylor, Godecheux and McMillan are all solid, if not spectacular, lunch pail type players.

McCain is above average, as well, as a slot cover guy. Below average when used outside, though.

I guess my point is that, given proper coaching, and some time to "gel" in this new system, we aren't as bad off as many believe.

Its refreshing to hear a coach talking about game planning against weakness and coaching up players.

I feel like Gase always pushed his agenda and didnt adapt to players strengths and the oppositions weakness.

Im also curious to see if they cant get Harris to play up to his potential, as they seemed very optimistic about him.

Its refreshing to hear a coach talking about game planning against weakness and coaching up players.

I feel like Gase always pushed his agenda and didnt adapt to players strengths and the oppositions weakness.

Im also curious to see if they cant get Harris to play up to his potential, as they seemed very optimistic about him.
Whether we like to admit it or not, the Patriots way works. We have 20 years of of New England's success as proof. Flores talks about being multiple, and adaptable from week-to-week. More than talent, that is why NE has been successful.

Heck, Miami probably has more elite talent than the Patriots now that Gronk is gone.

Back
Top Bottom