Fao Finheaven Podcasters/viewers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fao Finheaven Podcasters/viewers

uk_dolfan

Proud Tua Cultist
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
The world of Dolphins podcasts has exploded over the last year or so. Off the top of my head we now have at least 3 podcasts featuring FH members, a couple of fansite shows and even ‘proper’ media sources like the Herald have recently started podcasting. Hell, even OJ McDuffie is about to start podcasting… personally I am quite excited about that one.

We are going to trial a ‘podcast section’ in the mains. Many of our FH podcasters like to post about their latest episodes on FH and I think that is great for both the podcasts and our community. But a lot of new threads appear in the mains every day, it is easy for something to get overlooked, especially when multiple different shows are posting new episodes around the same time.

The new podcast section is going to be hosted in the main Dolphins section, when a user opens the Dolphins forum it will be one of the first things that they see. Posts will still appear under 'new posts' section etc

Within this section I am hoping to create a reference thread containing info about all of the Dolphins podcasts and why members might want to check them out. If any of the Finheaven podcasters want to get involved in this please send me a PM, I will need a few details about each show, how viewers can tune in, how they can get in touch etc. I will also try to post some details about the shows that don’t involve FH posters, though these will no doubt be less detailed.

I will move any podcasts from the first page or two to the new section, I would appreciate it if podcasters (or viewers) could post future episodes directly in the new section.

You can view the new subforum at - https://finheaven.com/forums/dolphins-podcasts-and-social-media.72/

@Aqua4Ever04 @ckparrothead @MikeO

Last edited:
Good idea often I am searching for one of the threads and having its own dedicated sub forum is the best way to go about it imo

The world of Dolphins podcasts has exploded over the last year or so. Off the top of my head we now have at least 3 podcasts featuring FH members, a couple of fansite shows and even ‘proper’ media sources like the Herald have recently started podcasting. Hell, even OJ McDuffie is about to start podcasting… personally I am quite excited about that one.

We are going to trial a ‘podcast section’ in the mains. Many of our FH podcasters like to post about their latest episodes on FH and I think that is great for both the podcasts and our community. But a lot of new threads appear in the mains every day, it is easy for something to get overlooked, especially when multiple different shows are posting new episodes around the same time.

The new podcast section is going to be hosted in the main Dolphins section, when a user opens the Dolphins forum it will be one of the first things that they see. Posts will still appear under 'new posts' section etc

Within this section I am hoping to create a reference thread containing info about all of the Dolphins podcasts and why members might want to check them out. If any of the Finheaven podcasters want to get involved in this please send me a PM, I will need a few details about each show, how viewers can tune in, how they can get in touch etc. I will also try to post some details about the shows that don’t involve FH posters, though these will no doubt be less detailed.

I will move any podcasts from the first page or two to the new section, I would appreciate it if podcasters (or viewers) could post future episodes directly in the new section.

You can view the new subforum at - https://finheaven.com/forums/dolphins-podcasts-and-social-media.72/

@Aqua4Ever04 @ckparrothead @MikeO
Sounds good UK. Thanks

Chances are very strong that forcing podcasters to post these threads only in a Sub Forum would lead to much lower thread views, much lower reply counts, less interest, less discussion, and less podcast downloads for the podcaster, which in turn would reduce the incentive for the podcasters to be here and start these threads, or to participate in content-filled discussions.

Essentially, a lose-lose-lose.

1. The podcaster loses downloads.

2. FinHeaven loses traffic/activity.

3. The posters lose content.

I doubt I would have much incentive to hang around the Main Forum and post as much as I've been posting over the last month if this policy were to go into effect.

I am going to start a podcast about Finheaven where we reminisce about some of the classic posts and users (WV! Junc!) of yesteryear and talk about the latest drama in the forum. We might even have a segment to rank Tannehill threads. Who's interested?

Chances are very strong that forcing podcasters to post these threads only in a Sub Forum would lead to much lower thread views, much lower reply counts, less interest, less discussion, and less podcast downloads for the podcaster, which in turn would reduce the incentive for the podcasters to be here and start these threads, or to participate in content-filled discussions.

I doubt I would have much incentive to hang around the Main Forum and post as much as I've been posting over the last month if this policy were to go into effect.

Would it make more sense to have them in a sticky thread as opposed to a new section? Or both?

I agree though, I don't think there is a problem having them as their own individual threads. Is a thread about a podcast episode really all that different than a thread about a blog article?

Would it make more sense to have them in a sticky thread as opposed to a new section? Or both?

I agree though, I don't think there is a problem having them as their own individual threads. Is a thread about a podcast episode really all that different than a thread about a blog article?

Bingo.

Right now in the forum there are 50 threads on the first page, and at least 60-70% of those threads are single-link article drops.

But posting a thread about a new weekly podcast, THOSE are clutter that need to be cleaned off the Main Forum?

Bingo.

Right now in the forum there are 50 threads on the first page, and at least 60-70% of those threads are single-link article drops.

But posting a thread about a new weekly podcast, THOSE are clutter that need to be cleaned off the Main Forum?

This is not the point CK, infact a couple of hours ago you told me that you knew the intention was to do something positive for podcasts on Finheaven, its a shame if you have changed your mind about this.

I am aware you are not a fan of the new idea as you have already raised this with me in private. As I said at the time, I have passed this back to the staff and even though we had previously decided to trial this we have been discussing the points which you raised. Raising it again before we have got back to you and questioning if you are going to hang around anymore doesn't seem overly constructive to me.

I didn't take this as the podcast posts were clutter I took it as they were trying to organize them and put them in their own area. Maybe the better idea would be to create a sticky thread like a podcast link directory. Give access to the main podcast posters to edit the OP of the podcast sticky with their newest episodes in addition to them posting a specific thread for each episode. That way the threads get the same traffic and there is a nice tool to quickly find and locate all the podcast threads

Good idea often I am searching for one of the threads and having its own dedicated sub forum is the best way to go about it imo

This is exactly the point.

This thread has gone off track. The staff made a decision to trial a new subforum, this was announced today and there has been some feedback. This feedback has all been passed back to all staff member and it is currently being discussed. Anyone is welcome to send further thoughts or concerns, but please do it constructively - this is a trial, there is no need to take anything in a way it was not meant.

This is not the point CK, infact a couple of hours ago you told me that you knew the intention was to do something positive for podcasts on Finheaven, its a shame if you have changed your mind about this.

I am aware you are not a fan of the new idea as you have already raised this with me in private. As I said at the time, I have passed this back to the staff and even though we had previously decided to trial this we have been discussing the points which you raised. Raising it again before we have got back to you and questioning if you are going to hang around anymore doesn't seem overly constructive to me.

The problem is you're making two decisions, not just one.

You're deciding to POSITIVELY do something that you view to be for the podcasters that frequent the site, which is commendable.

But you're also deciding to do something NEGATIVELY to those podcasters by banning them from starting threads about their latest podcast on the Main Forum (or forcefully moving such threads), and that would be bad because the main forum gets so much more traffic than any sub-forum.

I am properly weighing all aspects of what you're proposing, and am proposing that we find a way to accomplish the positive task you set out to accomplish, without accompanying it with the negative action you're proposing simultaneously.

Am I making threats? Absolutely not. I'm being honest. I've primarily come back to the forum and become really active, sharing lots of content (in my posts, not even talking about links to my podcast or anything like that) in large part because I'm helping to lift a new podcast (and podcast network) off the ground.

That's just the way it is, it's not an insult to anyone. People don't need to take it with any angst or anything like that.

If you run a shop that sells pool supplies, and a customer begins coming in to buy pool supplies from you, and then you make a change to your inventory to where you're no longer carrying what that customer needs, do you get all insulted and disappointed because the customer starts shopping elsewhere? If that customer warns you that if you make the proposed change to inventory, they'll have to shop elsewhere, do you say, "I don't appreciate your threats"?

It's not about threats or anything like that. I'm here to accomplish something, and in so doing, I think I'm also benefiting the site a little bit. Nothing wrong with that.

I fully apologize for any insults perceived or any misunderstandings.

If you run a shop that sells pool supplies, and a customer begins coming in to buy pool supplies from you, and then you make a change to your inventory to where you're no longer carrying what that customer needs, do you get all insulted and disappointed because the customer starts shopping elsewhere? If that customer warns you that if you make the proposed change to inventory, they'll have to shop elsewhere, do you say, "I don't appreciate your threats"?

It's not about threats or anything like that. I'm here to accomplish something, and in so doing, I think I'm also benefiting the site a little bit. Nothing wrong with that.
We are not changing the inventory, we are proposing to move the said inventory to the front of the store where everybody can see it when they walk in the door. Normally once the pool season starts this kind of inventory gets pushed to the back of the store because the customers are more interested in the seasonal items. It would be much easier for these specialized items to stay at the front of the store for those who are interested.

We are not changing the inventory, we are proposing to move the said inventory to the front of the store where everybody can see it when they walk in the door. Normally once the pool season starts this kind of inventory gets pushed to the back of the store because the customers are more interested in the seasonal items. It would be much easier for these specialized items to stay at the front of the store for those who are interested.

I don't agree with that. The Main Forum gets a lot more traffic than any Sub-Forum would get. In order to get to the Sub-Forum the user has to click through a link from the Main Forum. When it comes to web traffic, that's a significant barrier, especially if users are used to scrolling down and see what new threads have been created and/or what news headlines there are.

In this case I think it would be like taking a discretionary product from the front of the store where its packaging has a chance at catching the customer's eye, and replacing it with a sign that says "All candy items in the back".

I think it's actually been suggested several times already in here that we just sticky threads for a bit. That would seem to accomplish some of what you aimed.

Or I proposed that we can do both things, have the Podcast forum where a user knows they can go in order to find the podcasts they've missed, but also allow the podcasters to start a thread on the Main Forum. I'd be glad to start a thread in both places.

Back
Top Bottom