Fascinating article on offensive line problems | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fascinating article on offensive line problems

DrAstroZoom

Bon vivant
Reaction score
This is a great read and brings up some reasons for the current state of our line I would have never considered. To wit:

It's a tough trick made more difficult because the Miami line is working under a philosophy that has changed often in recent years. Although Dave Wannstedt has been the head coach for four seasons, the offense has changed twice in that time.

Former offensive coordinator Chan Gailey's system required linemen to use different techniques that current offensive coordinator Norv Turner's system does not. Additionally, Wise is Miami's third offensive line coach since 1998 -- following Paul Boudreau and Larry Beightol.

Bottom line, we don't have a cohesive unit in terms of size or skills. But at least they're making an effort. I read elsewhere the line spent Monday and Tuesday (normally off days) reviewing game film.

Here's the link: Miami line searching for identity

I think Tony Wise should be let go, never liked him. As for the line needing an identity... we should get guys who are bulls. That way we wear down the dl and lb's and ricky can pound them in to submission.. ahhh dreams.

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom
This is a great read and brings up some reasons for the current state of our line I would have never considered. To wit:

Bottom line, we don't have a cohesive unit in terms of size or skills. But at least they're making an effort. I read elsewhere the line spent Monday and Tuesday (normally off days) reviewing game film.

Here's the link: Miami line searching for identity

Excellent article. Thanks for posting it Dr.

:eat:

Originally posted by aquaman
I think Tony Wise should be let go, never liked him. As for the line needing an identity... we should get guys who are bulls. That way we wear down the dl and lb's and ricky can pound them in to submission.. ahhh dreams.

I agree we should have big stong bull that would allow us to run vertically and create a nice pocket for a QB. However that would indicate keeping todd wade (which i dont like) and then what do you do with wade smith? Guard? Perhaps he has the speed and quickness.

The Dolphins thought they had found it before the loss in New England.

Against Baltimore, Washington and Dallas, the line played so well that Wannstedt was privately bragging about the unit.

Teased again. :(

With Miami's line looking more like a divergent blend of individuals than a matched set of parts, it should come as little surprise the unit is plagued by inconsistency.
exactly

Wise is living off of the reputation of the Dallas lines during the JJ era. Truth is Hudson Hauk was real reason those line excelled. Wise was his asst! He has failed in Chicago & Carolina and now here. His comments about Shannahan were for self preservation only! Give me one other example of an OL coach who has survived after his unit performed like this one has. It might be Miami if DW stays, he gets rid of coaches who field league leading units...ie Westhoff!

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom
Hudson Hawk ... wasn't that that horrible Bruce Willis movie?

Hudson Hawk (1991)
Starring: Bruce Willis, Danny Aiello

Director: Michael Lehmann

Synopsis: Crime caper about a reluctant jewel thief was critically panned, but its quirky sensibility and hilarious supporting cast entertain fans of oddball comedy, Willis devotees, and a small cult following.

Runtime: 95 minutes

MPAA Rating: R

Genres: Action, Comedy, Cult, Suspense

more OL articles...

Dolphins look to fill seams in their offensive line
You have got to watch a lot of tape, get down to their tendencies," he said. "I think if we pick up the blitz we have a good chance of beating them."

If the Dolphins do it and burn the Eagles like they did to Dallas on Thanksgiving, then the offense could prosper again. Don't do it, and circumstances suggest it could be a long Monday night for the Dolphins.

Back
Top Bottom