Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • The Bruise Brothers

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • The Killer Bs

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters
My favorite was Jamar “Sunpass” Taylor. Opposing receivers didn’t even slow down to roast that guy.

The Bubonic Dade...never been used

Kinda like Corona-Cyrus, vague, I mean Billy Ray or Miley?

Still waiting for more real estate lingo to enter the pantheon. You know, something more reflective of our owner...Agenda 21? Cause we put offenses in tiny homes?...nah, how about accounts receivable for our WR's...I'll stop now

Of the ones mentioned so far, I'm most partial to "The Marks Brothers." But in all honesty, my favorite one is incredibly unimaginative. My favorite nickname was "Zonk" ... which is simply a shorter form of the last name of Larry Csonka. But I liked it so much because the name "Zonk" makes me visualize a ginormous wrecking ball that literally embodies the irresistible force that never met an immovable object that could stop him ... and that's precisely how Larry Csonka played ... like a bull charging through a cage of balsa wood and sneering at the sheer stupidity of someone who thought that balsa wood could ever contain him. As a runner he used to run out of his way to punish defenders ... his running style was brutality, not elegance or athleticism.

Who knows, maybe I just heard the way the announcers said "Zonk" and that is where I gained the image, but wow, it always seemed so right. Probably for the same reason or as some lingering piece of that image is one of the reasons why I always liked Gronk, who similarly is an irresistible force and it is simply a shortening of his name, Rob Gronkowski. There is a basic savagery that the game of football includes ... and once in a while, there is a guy who takes that to another level, and they usually get names that describe the action, like "Beastmode" for Marshawn Lynch, and then there are the guys whose name already sounds like that action ... like Zonk.

Every time I see @BlueFin 's avatar of Larry Csonka I get shivers, because I can visualize Larry Csonka kindly and gently relating the sheer joy he had playing the game with stalwart friends who were willing to lay their lives on the line for him. Larry would do the same for them in a second. And as he tells the story, there is not a single inkling of violence, anger or mayhem in his voice or manner. But still ... I know that below the surface is a raging storm of destruction and mayhem that exists at his fingertips ... and if he ever wanted to smash everything in sight ............... he could do it.

Of the ones mentioned so far, I'm most partial to "The Marks Brothers." But in all honesty, my favorite one is incredibly unimaginative. My favorite nickname was "Zonk" ... which is simply a shorter form of the last name of Larry Csonka. But I liked it so much because the name "Zonk" makes me visualize a ginormous wrecking ball that literally embodies the irresistible force that never met an immovable object that could stop him ... and that's precisely how Larry Csonka played ... like a bull charging through a cage of balsa wood and sneering at the sheer stupidity of someone who thought that balsa wood could ever contain him. As a runner he used to run out of his way to punish defenders ... his running style was brutality, not elegance or athleticism.

Who knows, maybe I just heard the way the announcers said "Zonk" and that is where I gained the image, but wow, it always seemed so right. Probably for the same reason or as some lingering piece of that image is one of the reasons why I always liked Gronk, who similarly is an irresistible force and it is simply a shortening of his name, Rob Gronkowski. There is a basic savagery that the game of football includes ... and once in a while, there is a guy who takes that to another level, and they usually get names that describe the action, like "Beastmode" for Marshawn Lynch, and then there are the guys whose name already sounds like that action ... like Zonk.

Every time I see @BlueFin 's avatar of Larry Csonka I get shivers, because I can visualize Larry Csonka kindly and gently relating the sheer joy he had playing the game with stalwart friends who were willing to lay their lives on the line for him. Larry would do the same for them in a second. And as he tells the story, there is not a single inkling of violence, anger or mayhem in his voice or manner. But still ... I know that below the surface is a raging storm of destruction and mayhem that exists at his fingertips ... and if he ever wanted to smash everything in sight ............... he could do it.
I still remember that safety who “Zonk” gave a broken jaw too, how many running backs get flagged for “unnecessary roughness”?

A very special player in NFL history.....!

I still remember that safety who “Zonk” gave a broken jaw too, how many running backs get flagged for “unnecessary roughness”?

A very special player in NFL history.....!
One of my favorite stories is when he tells the story of Don Shula's reaction to a big run against the Buffalo Bills. He ran for like 15 or more yards--a long run for him--and at the end of the play he gave a forearm shiver to a defender and sent him flying out of bounds. At that point in time, no offensive player had ever gotten a penalty for Unnecessary Roughness, so Coach Shula was very happy with Zonk, he shouted very positive encouraging things (I can't recall what Zonk related that Coach Shula said), and the ref started measuring off the penalty against the Dolphins, and Coach Shula instantly told the ref that he was going the wrong way. The Ref responded "No I'm not, did you see what Zonk did to that poor defender?" And THAT was the first time an offensive player received a penalty for being too vicious. But with Zonk in the league ... it wasn't the last.

The play I mentioned isn't shown in this, but here's a snipet of the very cool headed Larry Csonka talking about two Dolphins Super Bowls, VI and VII.

Last edited:
Here's a collection of big football hits, and while many of them are defensive players hitting offensive players, two of the few offensive players highlighted are two of the most savage RB's I've ever seen play, Larry Csonka and Earl Campbell ... raging bulls on a football field. And you can see why the nickname "Zonk" makes me think of physical dominance on the gridiron.

I would pick the Killer Bees, at the time they coined that name the Africanized Bees were making a global impact and everyone was worried about where they would go next. There was a real fear stigma attached to the term Killer Bees.

Plus it was a nickname for the entire unit not just an individual player.

It wasn't so much a nickname, but I loved it when Berman would do the old jewish man voice when he'd say Bernie Parmalee...

Back
Top Bottom