Favorite upset Game that Coach Shula dominated | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Favorite upset Game that Coach Shula dominated

A few stick out to me. Obviously the MNF game against the Bears in 1985 is on the top of my list. I was 12 years old at the time and got to see the whole game since I live on the west coast. The playoff game against the Chiefs in 1991 where the Dolphins came back to win 17-16 after being down 16-3 in the 4th quarter. The game at the Bills in 1992 when the Dolphins won 37-10 was great. That was the Louis Oliver game. The game at the Eagles in 1993 with Doug Pederson at QB to give Shula the all time wins record for a coach. The Leon Lett game on Thanksgiving at Dallas that year was another one. The game against the Patriots to open the 1994 season winning 39-35. That was Marino's first game back after missing most of the 1993 season. The fake spike game later that same season at the Jets was another one.

Last edited:
Another one was a Monday Night game against Philly in the Orange Bowl in 1981. At one point, Jaws melted down because he couldn’t hear because the crowd was so electric. It was a great win. And look at Shula on the sideline. Awesome.

The playoff win against the chargers when Coach Shula faced Bill Arnsparger as San Diego’s D coordinator.
Miami’s D came out big that day Vincent Cox Coleman.
The 45-3 beat down of the Jets on Monday night is a classic.
Oh things could have been so different If Hugh Green had no blew out a knee
Dwight Stephenson didn’t get a cheap shot career ending injury.
All the times coach left orchard park with a close loss to Levy Kelly and the hated bills
So many good memories for this fan since 1970 . I feel we are turning the corner and about to be dominate again.

A lot of great choices, a lot of the big games that stand out.
I will throw a more obscure one out there, for those who are old enough.
After the 1981 season, we lost that classic to the Chargers in the Orange bowl, really because our kicker couldn't make a damn field goal...on TWO tries.
The next year, 1982, was a strike shortened season. We went 7-2. The playoffs were an 8 team, no bye, tournament. Week 1 we thumped New England. Week 2, we got a re-match with the Chargers. First time we faced them since the playoff game the year before, and Shula had the team primed for payback, and Miami thoroughly wrecked Dan Fouts, Kellen Winslow and the rest of the Chargers. I remember looking forward to that game all week as much as any other game, because I had zero doubt Shula was going to dismantle the Chargers, even with a fading Woodley at QB.
And you know what? I have that full game on DVD. I might watch that tonight to fill the boredom in my life and the lack of any other worthwhile sports.

Agree RE duh Bears game...

Tho this long timer was a great revenge game for Shula

and a clear demonstration of his superb coaching!

Demolished the j e t s in NY opening day and made 'em look silly

despite a significant talent gap...

check out the video

Miami Dolphins at New York Jets - September 12th, 1982

I remember this game and Woodley’s TD catch on the trick play. Woodley was so athletic - those bootleg runs were beautiful. He also had a cannon for an arm. Don Shula not only got to a SB w this kid - an 8th round draft pick - he built a system around him to exploit his few strengths while hiding his weaknesses. And just one year later, transformed the team from a ground and pound club to a full on aerial blitzing offense as soon as Marino took over. Not easy to change your identity in the middle of the season which is exactly what he did in ‘83 going from 3-2 to 12-4 and a division win. I’ll say this - I had a Woodley jersey and I loved the guy. I was like “who is this Marino jerk that took my hero’s job”? Haha. I miss these old games and players. Andra Franklin was a bull. The Blackwood brothers could hit and were ball hawks. AJ Duhe, Betters, Baumhower, Larry Gordon, Brudzinski and Bokamper all could make plays along the front 7. Tony Nathan could do it all - career rushing average of 4.5 or so, excellent receiver out of the backfield, good in pass pro and I had forgotten what a good QB he was as well! Thanks for the post - wonderful memories.

THE game that put the Dolphins and Shula was the Xmas day tilt in KC. Nobody gave us a chance, they were highly favored. I personally loved watching the '85 Bear game, Liked watching us beat Bledsoe on 4th down, opening day up there, and kicking the 'Skins ass up there on opening day. How about the fake spike?

The playoff win against the chargers when Coach Shula faced Bill Arnsparger as San Diego’s D coordinator.
Miami’s D came out big that day Vincent Cox Coleman.
The 45-3 beat down of the Jets on Monday night is a classic.
Oh things could have been so different If Hugh Green had no blew out a knee
Dwight Stephenson didn’t get a cheap shot career ending injury.
All the times coach left orchard park with a close loss to Levy Kelly and the hated bills
So many good memories for this fan since 1970 . I feel we are turning the corner and about to be dominate again.
And the tragic deaths of Larry Gordon, Rusty Chambers and David Overstreet.

I remember this game and Woodley’s TD catch on the trick play. Woodley was so athletic - those bootleg runs were beautiful. He also had a cannon for an arm. Don Shula not only got to a SB w this kid - an 8th round draft pick - he built a system around him to exploit his few strengths while hiding his weaknesses. And just one year later, transformed the team from a ground and pound club to a full on aerial blitzing offense as soon as Marino took over. Not easy to change your identity in the middle of the season which is exactly what he did in ‘83 going from 3-2 to 12-4 and a division win. I’ll say this - I had a Woodley jersey and I loved the guy. I was like “who is this Marino jerk that took my hero’s job”? Haha. I miss these old games and players. Andra Franklin was a bull. The Blackwood brothers could hit and were ball hawks. AJ Duhe, Betters, Baumhower, Larry Gordon, Brudzinski and Bokamper all could make plays along the front 7. Tony Nathan could do it all - career rushing average of 4.5 or so, excellent receiver out of the backfield, good in pass pro and I had forgotten what a good QB he was as well! Thanks for the post - wonderful memories.

Love the stretch from about 15:00 onward -- we go for it 4th and one 2 times capped by Woodley naked in the flat

TD pass from Nathan!!! LOL. David Woodley an epic tragic character -- literally drinking himself to death.

I saw the kid when he came out from LSU and... he was a winner in his own way.

Great athlete. Kind of ahead of his time. Always reminded me a tad of Steve Grogan

but not as talented...

Cheers!

This game may not have been an upset game but it was one of the most important. Marino’s first game back from the Achilles heel injury. There was a lot of talk that Marino would never be the same, that he may have to hang them up, the injury was going to affect his release blah blah blah, all the pundits were weighing in and they seemed to enjoy being negative about him getting back.

I didn’t really believe anyone of the scabs who were spewing this garbage, but I gotta admit, I was getting a little worried, there was some doubt creeping in because I am not a doctor and we all know Marino was not a ballet dancer back there with all his knee injuries and such. But before the injury he could slide around the pocket because he had his pocket senses. But now with this lower body injury I was getting concerned. I wasn’t ready to lose Danny and call it day.

I so remember the buildup to this first game back and remember the tension I felt when he took the field. And then the rest was history. He dissected the NE defense, threw four TDs, and he did it on a muddy field that looked like a swamp. He walked off the field and I breathed such a sigh of relief and just smiled. It was like he didn’t miss a beat. It was classic Marino, and Marino at his best. Danny made a statement that day and shoved that statement right up all the doubters asses.

This game may not have been an upset game but it was one of the most important. Marino’s first game back from the Achilles heel injury. There was a lot of talk that Marino would never be the same, that he may have to hang them up, the injury was going to affect his release blah blah blah, all the pundits were weighing in and they seemed to enjoy being negative about him getting back.

I didn’t really believe anyone of the scabs who were spewing this garbage, but I gotta admit, I was getting a little worried, there was some doubt creeping in because I am not a doctor and we all know Marino was not a ballet dancer back there with all his knee injuries and such. But before the injury he could slide around the pocket because he had his pocket senses. But now with this lower body injury I was getting concerned. I wasn’t ready to lose Danny and call it day.

I so remember the buildup to this first game back and remember the tension I felt when he took the field. And then the rest was history. He dissected the NE defense, threw four TDs, and he did it on a muddy field that looked like a swamp. He walked off the field and I breathed such a sigh of relief and just smiled. It was like he didn’t miss a beat. It was classic Marino, and Marino at his best. Danny made a statement that day and shoved that statement right up all the doubters asses.
Ahem. . . he threw for 5 touchdowns! ;)

And almost 500 yards on 30+ completions. I was
there and I will never forget it.

Might be the last game I attended! Dude who really stood out was Irv (Fryer).

Man if him and Marino were together from the start!

But Marino more than proved what kind of competitor he was after the Achilles...

The man was basically crippled on the football field but still GREATNESS!

>>> and I'll tell you something else I'll never forget -- the game in Cleveland when

Marino went down and those collective POS in Cleveland cheering his injury!

Certified. Absolute. Garbage.

Might be the last game I attended! Dude who really stood out was Irv (Fryer).

Man if him and Marino were together from the start!

But Marino more than proved what kind of competitor he was after the Achilles...

The man was basically crippled on the football field but still GREATNESS!

>>> and I'll tell you something else I'll never forget -- the game in Cleveland when

Marino went down and those collective POS in Cleveland cheering his injury!

Certified. Absolute. Garbage.

I will forget that Cleveland crowd that day. Gross. His comeback was like a movie. I don’t think a script could have been better written

The bears 1985. Blew away the monsters of the midway
Hope the league will honor Coach Shula by having all Teams wear a 17-0 patch on the uniforms all season,
then a tribute at the Super Bowl.

Obviously the premise to this thread! Nat Moore ate the food of that vaunted defense!!!

I have a tie. 1977 Thanksgiving Day Game when Bob Griese threw 6 TD passes to shred Jim Hart and the St. Louis Cardinals in an upset. The Second is the 1985 Chicago Bears game.

Back
Top Bottom