Favre: Smith Should be the Number One Pick | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Favre: Smith Should be the Number One Pick

If we draft devonta smith at 3 , is he going to be a pro bowler on a yearly basis. At # 3 I’m looking for a player who will start right away and be a impact player. Ted slim , offerdahl etc... i want to know your opinion on this kid.

The history of highly drafted WR's is very, very spotty.

Some turn out great, some turn out fine, some miss entirely.

And the same is true of later drafted WR's as the League is full of star WR's taken outside R 1.

My feeling has always been that WR is not a position that should be taken that high, but the league is becoming more and more a passing league so WR's are more important than ever.But since it is easier to put up numbers at WR(and QB obviously)I would still argue that Top 5 is too high for WR. Not to mention the plethora of quality WR options in this Draft.The Fins can add talent at that position without using the #3 pick to do it.

I would not take a WR at #3 this year, I would trade down(which should be more than possible) or failing that draft Sewell.

If you watch the film on Smith, his route running and especially his relentlessness are the best I’ve literally ever seen coming out of school. I didn’t see Rice coming out of Mississippi Valley, but Smith is a total professional with his craft coming out of school.

One thing you will notice on the film is when the ball isn’t even going his way. He’s cutting hard, over and over to try to get open no matter where the ball is going.

His frame is tiny and more reminiscent of, say, a tennis player than a football player. But he’s ripped for his size and if he plays it smart a la Marvin Harrison or Desean Jackson or Lynn Swann and just get down, he can be fine.

If you trade down and end up with an extra one and two to drop to, say, Carolina, that’s understandable to a degree on paper. But if Smith ends up a Hall of Famer you might wince that you essentially traded him away.

Back
Top Bottom