FBGP's 2015 NFL Draft Grades: Miami Dolphins | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

FBGP's 2015 NFL Draft Grades: Miami Dolphins

OK so what doesn't translate to him being a starter?

He likes to try to bounce it outside too much. Seems a lack of patience or vision at times and at nfl level his speed will not be great enough to do that. Does need work in pass protection. Big difference cutting it outside in mountain west than nfl.

He did feast on some weak defense's in that conference, great showing against Az though

Good stuff. I love what you said about Parker and Douglas, but I do have to respectfully disagree about your analysis of Ajayi as a #2 back. I think that if his knee problems are overblown the kid has all of the ability that you look for in a feature back.
Also, you didn't say much about Jordan Phillips. What're your thoughts on him?

Thanks Insomnia! I actually like Phillips...I think his pad level is inconsistent, but he does have the upside (seeing that he's an early entry)...so I think he can get better and will be a good player. Graded out as a 2nd rounder to me

He likes to try to bounce it outside too much. Seems a lack of patience or vision at times and at nfl level his speed will not be great enough to do that. Does need work in pass protection. Big difference cutting it outside in mountain west than nfl.

He did feast on some weak defense's in that conference, great showing against Az though

Ehh you could then also make the argument too that Boise State's offensive linemen weren't up to the caliber of SEC or Big 12 linemen.

I also think what you're referencing about bouncing the ball outside happens to a lot of running backs. You can find an equal or higher number of runs where he takes an outside angle and cuts it back inside and follows blockers. There's some instances where he does try to get the edge and fails, but there's a difference between runs designed to go to the outside and runs that he takes outside himself. Seems like Boise State runs a decent amount of off-tackle and outside runs.

Ehh you could then also make the argument too that Boise State's offensive linemen weren't up to the caliber of SEC or Big 12 linemen.

I also think what you're referencing about bouncing the ball outside happens to a lot of running backs. You can find an equal or higher number of runs where he takes an outside angle and cuts it back inside and follows blockers. There's some instances where he does try to get the edge and fails, but there's a difference between runs designed to go to the outside and runs that he takes outside himself. Seems like Boise State runs a decent amount of off-tackle and outside runs.

The Boise state offensive line is among the best in their conference though.

Thanks Insomnia! I actually like Phillips...I think his pad level is inconsistent, but he does have the upside (seeing that he's an early entry)...so I think he can get better and will be a good player. Graded out as a 2nd rounder to me
I do not understand why everyone focuses on his potential and totally ignores the giant gorilla in the room. The guy has major health issues that could derail his career before it gets started. I see it all the time and again this year, guys that are relatively healthy in college and they get to the NFL and immediately go down with an injury. He was not even healthy in college. He started 4 games in 2013 before having back surgery for what was called and I quote "chronic back issue".

Oklahoma defensive tackle Jordan Phillips will have surgery for a chronic back issue and miss the rest of the season, coach Bob Stoops said Monday.
"It isn't one specific injury," Stoops said during his weekly news conference of Phillips, who is expected to have the surgery Tuesday. "It's bothered him for the last couple years and is not improving like they [the doctors] want it to."
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9824768/jordan-phillips-oklahoma-sooners-2013-back

If that was not bad enough, his lazy attitude is another concern. I hate guys that get by on the athleticism and are not fully committed to the game.

COMPARES TO: Dontari Poe, Kansas City Chiefs: Because of their similar build and eye-popping athleticism, Poe is the easy comparison for Phillips. While Poe has emerged as one of the NFL's most intimidating nose guards, many others with similar talents have struggled with consistency in the NFL.
Phillips could just as easily wind up the second coming of Marcus Stroud or Albert Haynesworth, who lacked the requisite work ethic to take full advantage of their talents. Given Phillips' history of back issues, former first rounders turned early NFL retirees Marcus Tubbs (Seattle) and Justin Harrell (Green Bay) could unfortunately prove valid comparisons, as well.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1886787/pete-prisco

Listen, I hope that everyone they bring in makes the team and turns out to be an All-Pro. But after following the team for 40yrs and especially the last 15, I have seen many players with potential turn out to be a Johnny-Come-lately.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Boise state offensive line is among the best in their conference though.

Are they? I just went off of what I saw from their games against Colorado State, Nevada and UCONN. The line was getting absolutely manhandled against Nevada and UCONN. Ajayi had nowhere to run

Are they? I just went off of what I saw from their games against Colorado State, Nevada and UCONN. The line was getting absolutely manhandled against Nevada and UCONN. Ajayi had nowhere to run

Yes they are but in that conference the bar is not very high

Back
Top Bottom