Feeley / Spielman / Saban | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Feeley / Spielman / Saban

LostInPatsLand

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
A slight twist to a old question: Could you see Saban keeping Spielman on if Feeley ends up excelling? This would mean that the 2nd round gamble by Spielman worked.

Oddly enough now that Ruston has rejected saban's offer to come on board I dont think Spielman is going anywhere. He may not be Saban's 1st choice and yes he definitely did panic his way into a few moves last year post Rw but hes still young and widely regarded as a good young GM. From what I have read in the past he wanted Boldin a few years ago not Moore but wanny still had more pull and that Hadnot and Pope were both his (not wanny's) picks.

Im not a big fan of his, especially since you all know how much I love AJ, I just dont see anything better out there.

I'm still not convinced that Rick is going anywhere. Much of the hatred for him comes from Four reasons, and only one of them is logical.

1.) association with Wanny - I can't hate Rick for this.
2.) Picking feeley and giving up a 2nd to do it. -Until this season is over I won't judge him for this either.
3.) Trading up to draft Carey, and giving up a fourth to do it. - I hate that he did this, and this is a good reason why he isn't in charge of the draft, I don't however think this should get him fired.
4.) Giving up a pick for David Boston. - I think the pick was worth the risk, so I don't fault him for this one either. Looking back, I don't think I would have done it though, david wouldn't have been able to save our season, and we could've used that pick this year.

Wildbill3 said:
4.) Giving up a pick for David Boston. - I think the pick was worth the risk, so I don't fault him for this one either. Looking back, I don't think I would have done it though, david wouldn't have been able to save our season, and we could've used that pick this year.

I agree with you on everything else, but this one i have a slightly different view. It was a risk/reward scenario, much like Saban drafting Crowder in the third round. Boston healthy and sane- unmatchable probowler for a sixth round pick and decent contract. The sixth round players, no matter what the Brady people say, rarely pan out.

Rick made some stupid moves, but he seems to have adjustd well to Saban and has shown good skill in unearthing gems in the later rounds. Still mad over the draft ('04, and '03, '02' 01 while I'm at it) but i think when governed properly he is worth keeping

LostInPatsLand said:
A slight twist to a old question: Could you see Saban keeping Spielman on if Feeley ends up excelling? This would mean that the 2nd round gamble by Spielman worked.

Saban may need an errand boy or someone to fetch him his coffee, but Spielman's days as an important person in the organisation are finished.

Boik14 said:
Im not a big fan of his, especially since you all know how much I love AJ, I just dont see anything better out there.

I think this will be the hallmark of Saban's reign: he's not going to get rid of people (AJ, Spielman) just to get rid of them, but he also won't hesitate to pull the trigger if he thinks there's a better option/upgrade to be had.

Spielman is such an arrogant a$$. But the guy is still young good GM, just don't put him a charge of the draft and he'll be fine.

finmann said:
Spielman is such an arrogant a$$. But the guy is still young good GM, just don't put him a charge of the draft and he'll be fine.

Youre right about the first part at least.

Speilman supporters dont get your hopes up.

The search for a personnel man to replace Speilman is still ongoing.Here are some names that are being rumored.: Bears director of college scouting Greg Gabriel, Ravens director of college scouting Eric DeCosta, Bucs director of pro personnel Mark Dominik, and Eagles assistant director of player personnel Jacon Licht.

CrunchTime said:
Speilman supporters dont get your hopes up.

The search for a personnel man to replace Speilman is still ongoing.Here are some names that are being rumored.: Bears director of college scouting Greg Gabriel, Ravens director of college scouting Eric DeCosta, Bucs director of pro personnel Mark Dominik, and Eagles assistant director of player personnel Jacon Licht.

I don't get this love for Spielman, even if he didn't have final authority during the Wannstedt years he was in charge of all scouting and his job was to provide Wannstedt three names at different areas of need for each pick, that means he supplied the names Eddie Moore, Jamar Fletcher and Wade Smith.

Some act as if the last draft was full of late round gems, while in reality none of them have proven much in this league yet, this was a 4-12 team last year who was fortunate to have dogs like Cleveland and San Fran on the schedule. The fact that Pope and Hadnot saw starting time proves very little at this point, its not like we found a late rounder like Zach Thomas yet.

I still believe as I have all along that he will be departing before May is over, I see this as a good thing.

BlueFin said:
I don't get this love for Spielman, even if he didn't have final authority during the Wannstedt years he was in charge of all scouting and his job was to provide Wannstedt three names at different areas of need for each pick, that means he supplied the names Eddie Moore, Jamar Fletcher and Wade Smith.

Some act as if the last draft was full of late round gems, while in reality none of them have proven much in this league yet, this was a 4-12 team last year who was fortunate to have dogs like Cleveland and San Fran on the schedule. The fact that Pope and Hadnot saw starting time proves very little at this point, its not like we found a late rounder like Zach Thomas yet.

I still believe as I have all along that he will be departing before May is over, I see this as a good thing.

Wasn't there I story back some that Spielman did not want Moore, I can't remember who he wanted, but Wanny made the pick??

I could be wrong, but I think remember one story about Spielman wanting a different player and wanny saying no.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
Wasn't there I story back some that Spielman did not want Moore, I can't remember who he wanted, but Wanny made the pick??

I could be wrong, but I think remember one story about Spielman wanting a different player and wanny saying no.

Yeah, there is a rumor that Spielman wanted Boldin. But who didnt at the point they picked? That doesnt make Spielman a genious, it makes him not as stupid as Wannstedt- which is still pretty damn dumb. :)

Jnaledu3 said:
Yeah, there is a rumor that Spielman wanted Boldin. But who didnt at the point they picked? That doesnt make Spielman a genious, it makes him not as stupid as Wannstedt- which is still pretty damn dumb. :)

I'm not sticking up for Spielman, I'm indifferent about him! The way I see it he would just be a scout if he stays, Saban will make the picks.

But Boldin was the guy, I just thought I remembered that story being thrown around.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
I'm not sticking up for Spielman, I'm indifferent about him! The way I see it he would just be a scout if he stays, Saban will make the picks.

But Boldin was the guy, I just thought I remembered that story being thrown around.

I know youre not sticking up for him.:)

I dont see Spielman wanting to stay to be a scout. There are some rumors that Detroit had interest in him. But that was last year before he made all his bloopers. He will probably go to Pitt and be Wannys monkey boy again.

BlueFin said:

He is his own best salesman.Thats why I think Spinman is an appropiate nickname for him.

He cannot escape responsibily for some of the dubious draft picks and personnel decisions during the Wanny years.Even if he didnt make the picks he supplied the lists with the top names.

People have selective judgement when it comes to him.People point out the lower round draft picks that are steals but GMs are paid to get the top picks right too.

And I also doubt his eye for talent especially at the QB position.Who did we acquire at QB during the years he was on board.Jay Fiedler,Ray Lucas,Cade McNown,Josh Heupel,? The jury is still out on AJ Feeley.

There is no need to kick a dead horse anymore.Its time to put the Wanny legacy behind us and move on.IMO we can do much better.

Back
Top Bottom