Feeley Vs Frerotte : They Will Split Snaps | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Feeley Vs Frerotte : They Will Split Snaps

I really wonder how many people involved in the Feeley / Frerotte debate actually play or have played football.

Any successful team will build both the offensive and defensive schemes around their players. No successful team will ever build their players around a system. It simply doesn't work that way - you play to your players' strengths, not play them in a "system" regardless of how they fit. You don't run a Michael Vick type of offense without Vick. You don't pound the ball up the middle repeatedly unless you have the best run-blocking line in the NFL (Alan Faneca anyone?) and your "small" back is a 240-pound tank. This is precisely why we don't take the Miami Dolphins and think we can the Culpepper / Moss offense.

There are a whole number of flaws with this "Gus knows the system" line of thought.

First, Gus hasn't really played in the system. He played less than three games worth over a two year span - last year, he threw one pass and it was incomplete. In 2003, he played three games against scrub defenses (between Detroit, San Francisco, and Atlanta, nobody had a pass defense ranked above 25). He mostly employed a "heave the ball to Randy Moss approach." I think about 45% of his passes were to Moss - complete or incomplete.

Second, there is this idea that Frerotte was "groomed" in the system. Frerotte is a lifetime backup-quality quarterback who wasn't ever groomed for anything. Especially not in Minnesota. Linehan has been known to favor the long ball, but it looked especially good in Minnesota. Why? Because he had a huge quarterback who could avoid sacks and one of the fastest, most physically gifted wide receivers ever to play the game. We have neither. We also don't have the line to give anybody - be it Feeley or Frerotte - the time needed to develop those plays. Culpepper got sacked alot as it is, but I've also seen him shake more than his share.

Look at the rest of Frerotte's stats. He played one full season as a starter and wasn't that impressive. He's never managed, playing most of a season, to complete 60% of his passes. He doesn't have a good QB rating, regardless of where he played.

Now I don't mind if Frerotte happens to be the best man for the job. I personally find that very hard to believe, but it certainly is possible. I won't buy into anything that says Frerotte has an advantage. If we pick our starters based on who runs the unchanged Minnesota offensive scheme better, then he might have an advantage. This would be idiotic and completely guarantee an unsuccessful season, and I believe Saban is smarter than that. Any OC worth his salt - and I believe Linehan is - will tailor the offense to the players. Once we find out who's on the team, we build a scheme around them. It's naive to pretend we can simply pick up another team's offense - designed for totally different players - and produce. If the NFL worked that way, everybody would try to emulate the Patriots defensive scheme, the Vikings passing game, and the Steelers running game. You need more than just an idea - you need the personnel to do it, and we don't have it.

Yes, but he practiced it everyday, and knows it a hell of a lot more then Feeley. I'm not saying he will win the Job, but he has the inside track!

flintsilver7 said:
I really wonder how many people involved in the Feeley / Frerotte debate actually play or have played football.

Any successful team will build both the offensive and defensive schemes around their players. No successful team will ever build their players around a system. It simply doesn't work that way - you play to your players' strengths, not play them in a "system" regardless of how they fit. You don't run a Michael Vick type of offense without Vick. You don't pound the ball up the middle repeatedly unless you have the best run-blocking line in the NFL (Alan Faneca anyone?) and your "small" back is a 240-pound tank. This is precisely why we don't take the Miami Dolphins and think we can the Culpepper / Moss offense.

There are a whole number of flaws with this "Gus knows the system" line of thought.

First, Gus hasn't really played in the system. He played less than three games worth over a two year span - last year, he threw one pass and it was incomplete. In 2003, he played three games against scrub defenses (between Detroit, San Francisco, and Atlanta, nobody had a pass defense ranked above 25). He mostly employed a "heave the ball to Randy Moss approach." I think about 45% of his passes were to Moss - complete or incomplete.

Second, there is this idea that Frerotte was "groomed" in the system. Frerotte is a lifetime backup-quality quarterback who wasn't ever groomed for anything. Especially not in Minnesota. Linehan has been known to favor the long ball, but it looked especially good in Minnesota. Why? Because he had a huge quarterback who could avoid sacks and one of the fastest, most physically gifted wide receivers ever to play the game. We have neither. We also don't have the line to give anybody - be it Feeley or Frerotte - the time needed to develop those plays. Culpepper got sacked alot as it is, but I've also seen him shake more than his share.

Look at the rest of Frerotte's stats. He played one full season as a starter and wasn't that impressive. He's never managed, playing most of a season, to complete 60% of his passes. He doesn't have a good QB rating, regardless of where he played.

Now I don't mind if Frerotte happens to be the best man for the job. I personally find that very hard to believe, but it certainly is possible. I won't buy into anything that says Frerotte has an advantage. If we pick our starters based on who runs the unchanged Minnesota offensive scheme better, then he might have an advantage. This would be idiotic and completely guarantee an unsuccessful season, and I believe Saban is smarter than that. Any OC worth his salt - and I believe Linehan is - will tailor the offense to the players. Once we find out who's on the team, we build a scheme around them. It's naive to pretend we can simply pick up another team's offense - designed for totally different players - and produce. If the NFL worked that way, everybody would try to emulate the Patriots defensive scheme, the Vikings passing game, and the Steelers running game. You need more than just an idea - you need the personnel to do it, and we don't have it.

Good post. You're right. The only thing I will say in disagreement is that the offense we run will resemble Minnesota's quite a bit. Obviously there will be some changes and tweaks, but there will no doubt be alot of similarities. IT will be tweaked in that we will be more balanced (we will run more) there will be some plays added, some subtracted from the playbook. Plays will be designed/redesigned to fit the players we have. No doubt.
I played football for a long time and have coached for a long time. I run alot of the same plays every year but add, subtract, and tweak plays every year to fit the personnel. It will always be that way at any level. Coaches must adapt. But they also have tendencies and stick with at least a base offense of what they are most comfortable with. Bill Walsh never changed the West Coast offense. He may have tweaked it, etc. for certain players - but it was still his offense. Linehan will be the same. You'll see shades of what Minnesota ran. But you will see other things as well and we will be more balanced.
I happen to believe Frerotte will start over Feeley. That is just my opinion and I do base it partially, not totally, on Frerotte's knowledge of Linehan's offense. It will be part of what will or could make a difference in who starts. My concern is that NEITHER of them are good. But Frerotte's experience in the system and overall experience in general will be what beats out Feeley. Hopefully I'm wrong and Feeley plays lights out and kicks some arse. If that happens I will eat crow and be happy we have a good QB. But I simply didn't see anything about him that jumped out as special.

kizzaboo said:
But he never said anything about splitting snaps.

The Following statements from N. Saban cleares up some of the questions that are being debated on this thread:

Quote from Saban:

On the quarterback front, Saban said last year's starter, A.J. Feeley, and newcomer Gus Frerotte have been trying to learn the system new offensive coordinator Scott Linehan brought from the Minnesota Vikings.

Frerotte was there last year with Linehan, but Saban insisted that won't necessarily give him an advantage when the competition opens for real.

"It's putting the cart not just in front of the horse, but significantly in front of the horse," Saban said. "Sometimes you just got to let it happen. We can't make it happen. We can't predict how it's going to happen."

He seemed to downplay whatever familiarity factor Frerotte has with the offense, saying that football plays are generally the same everywhere and that only the terminology truly changes.

"We're not going from playing football to playing soccer," Saban said. "We're still playing the same game with basically the same plays."

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050331/APS/503311011

Feeley doesn't have "Payton Manning" work ethic and Saban realizes this. He has alrdy shown signs of little faith in Feeley. He sed Feeley was starter in 2005 then backtracked and sed qb position in open for competion

Feeley is a failed experiment its only a matter of time until he's the #3 qb and his contract expires.

inFINSible said:
Who was supposed to teach it to him?

Norv was in Oakland.

At least this year, there will be a real offensive coordinator teaching his own system. Who knows, that might just make a difference.

If Feeley doesn't respond, oh well, no one to blame but himself.

Excellent point. Im not sure any of the Dolphins coaches even understood the offensive scheme. How could they teach it?

Also remember...just because Saban says the two QBs will split snaps, it doesnt mean the split will be 50/50. Sometime during minicamps I think he will decide on who he wants to start and then we will see that player getting the majority of the snaps. All 'splitting' means is that they both will get some time with the 1st team.

i agree with Texas.The best player plays.Last year was a tough one to fully evaluate players, esp. qbs because of the poor line play, but saban is smart enough to evaluate fairly based on all factors.

the way i see it is, what we do with our second pick...if we draft a QB Gus just might be the opening day starter....but if we go elsewhere with the pick AJ FEELY will be the starter bar none

I think that the way its going to go is that they know Ferotte can play under Linehan's system. So I think they are going to play Feeley in pre-season and during camp and Feeley will have the chance to prove that he is as good or better than Gus. I think you are also going to have a rookie throwing some of his talent in there also, so I think this year could be a very big QB compitition.

This isn't about Frerotte playing in Linehan's system. This is about Frerotte playing without Randy Moss - which he hasn't shown he's ever been able to do. Frerotte, playing on an average team without a guy like Randy Moss, hasn't ever been impressive.

We don't have Randy Moss, and we don't have a good offensive line (though that's uncertain. Shockey showed this year that with a different quarterback or a different coach he had a hell of a lot more potential than we all thought). What Frerotte can do in this offense should NOT, by any means, be compared to what he did in three games at Minnesota. Take that out, and Frerotte is actually worse than Jay Fiedler.

That's really all there is to it. This is alot like a pet peeve to me - I don't care if Frerotte wins the job because he's done better. I just don't want him to win because he's had some type of experience with Linehan. Frerotte went to the Pro Bowl once - 9 years ago - even though his stats weren't impressive. If he can start and have the best season of his career, great. But I'm not convinced Frerotte is the answer. Seriously, people, think about it. Feeley was able to step in and beat the Patriots - but by all means, Feeley is still very much a rookie. As much as I said I wanted Kitna under center in Cincinnati, I understood - more as the season went on - why Palmer stayed in there. The guy singlehandedly put up the best game of probably the last few years against Baltimore. Palmer is going to be good. The problem with Frerotte is that he's old - with him as the starter, we've got an immediate need at the QB position. We don't have that with Feeley as the starter. This is why I stick with the idea that unless Frerotte is head and shoulders ahead of Feeley, Feeley should be the starter.

I wonder if Linehan system uses numbers or words for his plays. As I recall, last year Feeley had a hard time learning Norv's offense because it was a numbers systems, instead of a word system that he was used to he's whole career..

I don't believe the luck of A.J., I mean his fisrt start in Miami is in terrible weather with no running game and w.r. hurt and missing. now this off season he gets his 3rd head coach in 3 years, his third o/c in three years and now competion from another qb with more experience with the o/c than he has.

Dolphin-One said:
The article referenced above also includes the quote:

IMO, Saban, Linehan, and their staff might be having issues with AJ Feeley as the team's QB. He (Saban) is placing the writing on the wall - that the team will likely choose a QB in the 1st round.

Feeley and Gus are signed, and we just re-signed Sage. If we draft a QB at number 2 - who gets cut? I really don't see us keeping 4 qb's.

Back
Top Bottom