feeley's deep ball? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

feeley's deep ball?

nolefin

thank you
Reaction score
I know feeley has a good arm but why was there not any deep balls complete last year?

was it a) feeley did not have enough time to throw?
b)feeley did not have a running game and the safety stayed deep?
c) there was not many deep plays called?
d) feeley's arm is just not strong enough?

A, B and C. Feeley has a strong enough arm to throw it deep.

You could say A through C, and add the fact that he's not the most accurate in the league on the deep ball. (allbeit more accurate than Fiedler was.)

His arm strength is NOT a problem at all.

Being on his back on just about every other play didnt help.the guy was running for his life back there more often than not.

we got blitzed alot, receivers didnt have enouf time to run their routes, because of poor offensive line feeley had to throw quickly.

Yeah, i'll just echo what everyone else said.. wasn't the safety playing back, but was the safety coming through the line untouched, the offensive line was crap and the Receivers and Feeley could never get anytime to develop any Rhythm... with Ronnie and Ricky in the back field, if the O-Line can improve and give feeley anytime at all to pass the ball, then the play action pass will be a BIG TIME THREAT this season..

I go to go with A B and C. Feeley is no Marino when it comes to release and arm stregnth, but he can heave it pretty well.

Well 2 plays distinctly come to mind when looking at his deep ball.

The game against the 49ers. The play right after he came back from dislocating his finger. He threw a 30+ yard TD I believe to Chambers in stride.

The 2nd NE game. The winning TD to Thompson was something like a 20+ yarder right.

If you are in referrence to anything past 40 yards the answer is plain and simple/ He never had enough time to wait for the receivers to get that far down.

It's not his deep ball that was the problem. It was his rushing the short passes in the middle that troubled him. Even though the guy felt he had to quickly let it go before getting sacked he still should have though about throwing it away.

Give Feeley time and he will be fine with the deep pass.

Feeley has the arm. but on some of the longer balls, his ball flutters like a weak armed QBs deep ball. i dont know the deal with that, but some of his deep balls were terrible. and it hasnt nothing to do with his arm strength, everyone knows this.

Feeley had a lot of trouble understanding the offensive scheme last year, so when he was put in, there was an effort made to limit the more risky plays.
And as was already mentioned, it takes a few seconds for a receiver to get 30+ yds downfield. Feeley had maybe 2-2.5 seconds to try to find a receiver before having 1000lbs or so land on him.

rickysux said:
I know feeley has a good arm but why was there not any deep balls complete last year?

A, B, C.....The few medium to deep balls that Feeley threw had some nice zip on them. Looking forward to him beating out Frerotte. If Frerotte is starting, we'll be the laughing stock again and no one will take us seriously.

Feeley's arm strength is not the problem. I worry about his field vision and decision making. Hopefully last years experience and Linehan will help that. If not, hello Gus.

rickysux said:

A,B and C...

Wanny ran an ultra conservative O, the OL was horrible and Feeley spent much of his time running for his life, and Sammy Morris did not conjure up memories of Jim Brown, or even Mack Brown for that matter...

As to D...I am not sure...he does have a strong arm, but I don't know that that translates to a good deep ball passer...Have to see on that...

GRYPHONK said:
Well 2 plays distinctly come to mind when looking at his deep ball. The game against the 49ers. The play right after he came back from dislocating his finger. He threw a 30+ yard TD I believe to Chambers in stride.

I was at that game 49er game, it was definitely not a "Deep" ball. What that play proved to me is that Feeley has Great touch and precision just like the pass he threw to Derrius against the Patriots. The ball he threw to Chambers was perfectly placed on Chris' outside shoulder and the one to Thompson was perfectly placed on his inside shoulder. If you want an example of a good Feely deep pass you need to go way back to his Eagles days. I believe he threw like a 45 yard strike to Cecil Martin in a game. Give him time this year and I think he'll be OK, he wont underthrow you like Fiedler if thats what everyone worries about.

rickysux said:

e) a b & c

Back
Top Bottom