Fiedler, Feeley over Rookies | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fiedler, Feeley over Rookies

burger13

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
For all of you who are enamored with the rookie class of QB's, I contend that this team is better off playing Jay Fiedler OR AJ Feeley next year and beyond than spending a 1st rnd pick on one of these rookies.

Jay Fiedler has expierienced moderate success in the NFL, as has AJ Feeley in his limited playing time......

But what has any of these rookies proven in the NFL? Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf? Drew Bledsoe or Rick Mirer? Heath Shuler or Trent Dilfer?

I know that the general argument will be that you need to take a risk to get a franchise QB. I know that every player in the draft is unproven in the league. But there are just too many first round QB busts in the draft to ignore........

Tommy Maddox, David Klingler, Jim Druckenmiller, Akili Smith, Tim Couch, etc.

There are too many other areas where a first round selection would make more sense....OL, WR.

We might release Madison.......CB?

Ogunleye is most likely gone......DE?

The overall talent level on this team is too high to spend all these resources on one position. QB is not a cure-all position. We need other things. We had a pretty decent QB for about 17 seasons and never turned it into a championship.....meanwhile Doug Williams, Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien and Jeff Hostetler are getting rings.

A rookie, even if he is the 'future' star that we would hope, is not going to come in and be the difference maker on this team. The best that I think that we could hope for a rook is to come in and be decent........we have two of those already. And the way that the cap has been creepin up and our defensive studs are aging, I'm not counting on must past this year.

If we do somehow move up to the #2 pick overall, I think Eli Manning is about as much of a sure-fire pick as you can get. Given his family history with Peyton and Archie, along with his college success and tools- it looks like he'll be a good QB for a long time.

The other guys who I think are sure-fire are Robert Gallery and Sean Taylor, anyone else-- teams are taking a risk.

Originally posted by burger13
For all of you who are enamored with the rookie class of QB's, I contend that this team is better off playing Jay Fiedler OR AJ Feeley next year and beyond than spending a 1st rnd pick on one of these rookies.

Jay Fiedler has expierienced moderate success in the NFL, as has AJ Feeley in his limited playing time......

But what has any of these rookies proven in the NFL? Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf? Drew Bledsoe or Rick Mirer? Heath Shuler or Trent Dilfer?

I know that the general argument will be that you need to take a risk to get a franchise QB. I know that every player in the draft is unproven in the league. But there are just too many first round QB busts in the draft to ignore........

Tommy Maddox, David Klingler, Jim Druckenmiller, Akili Smith, Tim Couch, etc.

There are too many other areas where a first round selection would make more sense....OL, WR.

We might release Madison.......CB?

Ogunleye is most likely gone......DE?

The overall talent level on this team is too high to spend all these resources on one position. QB is not a cure-all position. We need other things. We had a pretty decent QB for about 17 seasons and never turned it into a championship.....meanwhile Doug Williams, Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien and Jeff Hostetler are getting rings.

A rookie, even if he is the 'future' star that we would hope, is not going to come in and be the difference maker on this team. The best that I think that we could hope for a rook is to come in and be decent........we have two of those already. And the way that the cap has been creepin up and our defensive studs are aging, I'm not counting on must past this year.

Good points. However, Jay Fiedler hasnt played well enough the past two seasons, or stayed healthy enough (EVER) to take us to the playoffs. I question if Feeley is even an upgrade over Jay. I hope he is...and I hope Feeley not only wins the job but becomes a star in the league. However, as you stated to get a franchise player in most cases some risk has to be taken. I think this years FA pool and draft depth at OL and WR make this the perfect year for taking the risk.

No matter how we slice it, Fiedler hasn't gotten the job done and Feeley was a 3rd stringer just 3 months ago. I can't get past that.

you do make some very good points though....I hope it works out for us either way.

Originally posted by Gonk
If we do somehow move up to the #2 pick overall, I think Eli Manning is about as much of a sure-fire pick as you can get. Given his family history with Peyton and Archie, along with his college success and tools- it looks like he'll be a good QB for a long time.

The other guys who I think are sure-fire are Robert Gallery and Sean Taylor, anyone else-- teams are taking a risk.

Why do you think that Manning would be there at #2 though?

Although I avoided saying it....I do think that Eli is very close to a sure thing. But I don't think that there is any chance at all to get him (I think the #2 pick is a pipe dream), so I avoided the topic.

Out of all the guys who were the second QB taken over the last 12 years, only Donovan McNabb hasn't completey sucked.

First of all there is not sure thing. You aquire based on talent.

Jay has proven he doesn't have it.

With only five starts the difference between Feeley and the Rookie is negligible. Feeley is as huge a risk. But his talent level which was worth all of a fifth round pick and not able to achieve higher than third string is questionable.

Its all a gamble and I will gamble on talent that has played great and consistent for four years of college. I would take Phillip Rivers in a heart beat.

Originally posted by fin-atic
First of all there is not sure thing. You aquire based on talent.

Jay has proven he doesn't have it.

With only five starts the difference between Feeley and the Rookie is negligible. Feeley is as huge a risk. But his talent level which was worth all of a fifth round pick and not able to achieve higher than third string is questionable.

Its all a gamble and I will gamble on talent that has played great and consistent for four years of college. I would take Phillip Rivers in a heart beat.

I agree on Rivers. His numbers were amazing. Fiedler and Feeley didnt put Rivers type stats up combined in college.

Back
Top Bottom