Fiedler Me This, Fiedler Me That | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fiedler Me This, Fiedler Me That

DOLFANMIKE

Coaches Corner
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I AM STILL AMAZED AT THE WIDE VARIETY OF COMMENTS REGARDING ONE JAY FIEDLER. WHAT A DIFFICULT JOB HE STEPPED INTO TAKING OVER THE DOLPHINS OFFENSE A FEW YEARS AGO. EASILY THE MOST DIFFICULT TASK ONE COULD IMAGINE. IT'S LIKE REPLACING LOMBARDI AS COACH, ...VERY DIFFICULT ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING THE FACT THAT IT APPEARED MARINO WAS NOT REALLY TREATED RIGHT AT THE END.

THAT SAID, I CHOSE ONE POST TO USE AS THE SPRINGBOARD FOR MY POST REGARDING FIEDLER. THIS WAS A POST BY KB, WHO HAS LONG VOICED HIS CONCERN OVER FIEDLER'S ABILITY TO QB OUR TEAM.

Originally posted by KB21
Fiedler had one of the highest int percentages in the NFL.

Oh, but I forgot. None of Fiedler's interceptions are his fault. Let's blame the receiver for not doing backflips to get to a ball thrown 7 yards wide of him right to a DB.

WHILE I AGREE THAT JAY DOES THROW TOO MANY INT'S......AND WE COULD STOP THE DISCUSSION THERE.....I DO ALSO THINK HE IS IMPROVING (WE COULD BEGIN ANOTHER CONVERSATION HERE THOUGH). I'VE ALWAYS THOUGHT KB THAT YOU HAVE BEEN WAY TOO HARD ON FIEDLER, AND I KNOW YOU KNOW THAT. I AGREE IF NOTHING CHANGES FIEDLER WILL BE GONE IN 2 YEARS. THE ONLY WAY THIS GUY STICKS AROUND AS OUR QB MORE THAN 2 YEARS FROM NOW IS IF WE WIN MORE PLAYOFF GAMES AND HIS TD-INT RATIO CHANGES IN A BIG WAY. HE DID SHOW LAST YEAR THAT HE CAN TAKE THE POUNDING, WHICH WAS ONE OF MY TWO PRIMARY CONCERNS WITH HIM AS QB.

HOW MUCH WILL HE CONTINUE TO IMPROVE NOW WITH RICKY AND CHAMBERS & COMPANY? THAT'S REALLY AN IMPORTANT PART OF THE QUESTION GIVEN HIS AGE (29). I'M HOPING HE'S A LATE BLOOMER LIKE RICH GANNON PROVED TO BE. IN FACT, I LIKEN HIM ALOT TO GANNON IN JUST ABOUT EVERY AREA AT THIS STAGE OF HIS CAREER IN TERMS OF STYLE OF PLAY, ETC....

BACK TO THE INT'S......I'VE TAPED AND REWATCHED ALL THE PAST SEASONS GAMES....AND NO LESS THAN 5 OF JAYS INT'S WERE ABSOLUTELY NOT HIS FAULT. THEY BOUNCED OFF OF THE WR AND WERE DEAD ON TARGET (ALA ....MCKNIGHT VS JETS). ACTING LIKE ALL 21 INT'S, OR THAT 20, 19, 18 ETC WERE ALL HIS FAULT JUST ISN'T ANYWHERE CLOSE TO TRUE. THERE ARE MANY REASONS A QB CAN THROW AN INT - HE SUCKS, HIS OL GETS BEAT AND DL BACKSIDE TAPS THE QB ARM AT THE TIME OF THROW, DB MAKES A GREAT PLAY, WR'S DROP OR TIP THE BALL TO DEFENDERS, ETC..... JAY HAD WR'S TIP SEVERAL VERY ON TARGET BALLS INTO THE DEFENDERS HANDS.

THAT SAID, I STILL CAN'T LIVE WITH EVEN 5 LESS INT'S AND CALL HIM A GREAT QB. 10 LESS INT'S WITH 20 PLUS TD'S AND I'M A FAN. THATS WHAT I'M HOPING FOR THIS YEAR. I WANT A 25-10 RATIO OR 27 - 12 RATIO ON THOSE TD-INT'S. IF HE COULD DO IT, WE ARE A SUPER BOWL TEAM. I LOOK FORWARD THIS SEASON TO ROOTING FOR MY TEAM AND FINDING OUT HOW GOOD JAY FIEDLER CAN BE WITH SOME SERIOUS TALENT AROUND HIM. CHAMBERS, WILLIAMS, ETC AROUND HIM REALLY GIVE HIM SOME GREAT WEAPONS THAT HE SHOULD BE ABLE TO IMPROVE WITH IMO.

Very good post. I value this post coming from someone who has REwatched every game watching Fiedler and also as a football coach of 17 years.

What I can't stand is the people who think that Feidler wins the team games...and that makes him good.

By that logic...Trent Dilfer is the best QB in the league.

He won a ton of games and a Superbowl with Baltimore.

Oh wiat....there defense gets some credit on that team.

I agree Dolphan! It reminds me of how everybody thought Kordell was great last year, but nobody mentioned the fact that the D carried that team! Same w/ Fiedler. Your D is one of the best in the league & that's why you guys have won over the years.

The area that needs the most improvement is never going to improve with Jay Fiedler. That is his arm strength. It's his lack of arm strength that limits the offense. You have to curtail the # of downfield passes you call, because when Jay throws them, the DB has just as good of a chance to catch the pass as the WR does. And you just about have to completely cut the out patterns out of the entire offense, because those passes require zip on the ball to be thrown.

I also don't like his pocket skills. He doesn't see the field well from the pocket, his footwork is poor, and his release is very slow.

The only redeeming quality I see in Jay Fiedler is his running ability, and that's about as important to a QB as being able to catch the football is to an offensive lineman.

So Dolphan, are you willing to say the defense won the TEAM'S games? There has to be give and take. Jay won some and lost some. At the same time, the D won some and lost some.

A team is a TEAM.

The area that needs the most improvement is never going to improve with Jay Fiedler. That is his arm strength. It's his lack of arm strength that limits the offense. You have to curtail the # of downfield passes you call, because when Jay throws them, the DB has just as good of a chance to catch the pass as the WR does. And you just about have to completely cut the out patterns out of the entire offense, because those passes require zip on the ball to be thrown.

I also don't like his pocket skills. He doesn't see the field well from the pocket, his footwork is poor, and his release is very slow.

The only redeeming quality I see in Jay Fiedler is his running ability, and that's about as important to a QB as being able to catch the football is to an offensive lineman.

KB - while it can be argued as you have done on all of this being true, the only thing that really matters is the TD-INT ratio to me. If the offense is productive and able to move up and down the field on short passes and the occasional bomb to Chambers we all won't care how the job was done. The keys in my mind are him throwing for over 21 TD's and throwing less than a dozen INT's.......I think it is at least a possibilty that he can get that done and will be watching this year hoping it happens. He did throw some nice bombs to Chambers and Co. last season, so even if his arm is weak, he can deliver a deep ball occasionally. I'm betting he gets a few more opportunities to throw deep in Turners system.

Why limit yourself?

Why make the TD to INT ratio the only important thing, in the process, limiting yourself to a very small number of plays that you can call?

I want to see a QB that can attack all parts of the field with the football.

Jimmy Johnson said it best during the draft. "If you have a QB that can manage the game (not turning the ball over), you will win some games. If you have a QB that can do that AND make some great throws, then you will win some Superbowls."

You can't have a power running game being accompanied by a short passing game. The short passing game brings the defenders in too close, and it is much easier for them to stop the run. The short passing game is meant to be a means of ball control. It isn't meant to accompany another aspect that is a means of ball control.

But we aren't running a West Coast style of ball control passing offense. We are running a version of the Air Coryell offense that Norv Turner learned from Ernie Zampese back when he (Norv) was a receivers coach with the Rams. Which means we are going to throw the ball down the field, which means that we will be playing into Jay's weaknesses this year.

Personaly, I feel this season will expose all of Jay's weaknesses. He's not going to be asked to be a quarterback and not just a caretaker, and I have seen nothing that makes me think he can be a quarterback.

Originally posted by EddieIrvine13
Very good post. I value this post coming from someone who has REwatched every game watching Fiedler and also as a football coach of 17 years.

WOW! Thank you for the words. I really have no personal thing for or against Jay Fiedler, I'm just a Dolfan.

I really have found that my work (Coaching) has made being a fan even more of an interest ...especially since I am a JJ disciple in my understanding of how to defend in the game. I've shared before on other boards that I was trained as a HS Defensive Cordinator by Cerritos JC Defensive Cordinator Pat Calahan, who in like was a disciple to JJ's staff at Dallas, including Wanny. We ran the base Dolphins D that JJ brought in and parts of it are still ran in Miami, Cleveland, and Dallas.

Some of my Former players in the NFL include: Hakim Akbar (DB - NE), Sean Brewer (TE - Cincy), Sammy Knight (FS - N.O.), Kyle Turley (OL - N.O.).

I've also got a few about to make a run at the NFL in the next few years - Colorado State MLB Josh Steward, BYU OL Brian Sanders (Awesome OL), BYU DE Justin Williams, and Sure thing NFL guy Kendall Edwards Fresno State FS. Kendall is the best player I've ever coached on both sides of the ball. I pray we get him somehow. I've got some guys at smaller schools too, but you likely wouldnt have heard of any of them. All the guys I listed might be or will be drafted.

Why limit yourself?

Why make the TD to INT ratio the only important thing, in the process, limiting yourself to a very small number of plays that you can call?

I want to see a QB that can attack all parts of the field with the football.

I want a QB that can do it all too. Marino has a way of spoiling people that way! But the fact is, as you have said, you can't make apple pie out of oranges. There just are not many do it all types in the League. I hope we get one, but I don't think anyone out there (including those you hoped we'd give a try) offered any more than Jay does. They all have weakenesses that make them not the do it all types.

Thus we have orange pie! We will likely never have another QB like Dan. Nobody else will either. That's how special he was as a player.

While I have heard many good points concerning Jay Fiedler, and I admit I am not impressed but who is after Marino, I don't think that Jay Fiedler is the man to lead us back to the Big Dance. I believ he is the man to keep the Fins going for a couple years. TD to INT ratio does play a huge factor but points win the game. Prioir to Ricky Williams teams could stack 8 men on the line and make Jay beat them. As shown he will through INT's by not making smart decisions. I think us FIN fans will have to wait a few years to see our team at the dance. I can say this though I will be the loudest fan in alabama.

Jay is an awful Qb wiht no talent what so every every single wide out on the team made him look good! he didnt win 22 the last 2 years are dfense did. If we dont draft a Qb next yeat Wanny is dumb.

GOD grant me the strength to endure ANOTHER Fiedler fight...

I hear a LOT of people bashing Fiedler about this and that, but he is OUR QB. He deserves OUR support...So lets STOP the bashing already and give the guy our support:D

Oh and I remember some of his dumb plays...But I also remember his good plays too...
:p

And as far as arm strength...his bomb in the Ravens game was PERFECT...it's not his fault that McKnight botched it...:goof:

Back
Top Bottom