Fiedler Must Go | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fiedler Must Go

I don't think Fiedler is the problem. His biggest problem is he makes bad desicions when the team gets behind and has to play catch up. I think if they would have kept feeding Ricky the ball we could have won against the Vikings, Chiefs, and Pats.

For the record:

1. I never thought Lucas was better than Jay. So those who keep saying "you Fiedler bashers wanted Lucas too". Shut up your wrong.

2. I was never a Fiedler "basher" until now. I have been waiting for three years for this guy to step up his game, and it hasn't happened. You HOMERS!!!!! Try and throw that crap at me, but it doesn't stick. The facts and stats don't lie. They guy is not that good.

3. How about some good arguments as to why we should keep him??? I just keep hearing that weak ass "Fiedler's not the problem" stuff. But in the last two games when the entire season was on the line he disappeared.

4. Who is better?? Man you have to b e kidding me??

Here is the qucik list:

Holcomb
Bulger
Griese
Plummer
Couch

Save your keystrokes on the "this one or that one isn't better than Jay". Once again I am not buying it. These guys have great talent. Plummer has been surrounded by the secoind worst talent in the league forever. Griese isn't wanted, isn't happy, and really doesn't fit that scheme. The other two have been stellar when they are in.

Here is another clue for you "we can't afford them" mavens. We will be in better shape cap wise this year than last. We went out and got Ricky AND improved his deal. It can be done. Contracts can be rewroked and the team expects to be able to land two to three signifigant FA this year.

You bring in one of those guys and put him in competition in camp. If your Jay "Favre, Elway, Marino, Montana,Namath, Unitis" Fiedler is the stud you all think he is, than one of these supposedly "inferior" QBs should not be able to take his job should he?? Then you still have a great back-up in Jay or the other QB. Either way we are STILL better off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holcomb and Couch are both under contract. Holcomb is not going to be cut or traded. Couch may be cut. Nobody will make a trade for him, though. The amount of money he is due the next three seasons, thanks to being the top overall pick in 1999, is a ridiculous amount that nobody will absorb except for perhaps the Browns (I doubt they will, though).

We will have to make a trade for Bulger. What will he cost us? Probably a first-round pick, and the Rams would probably prefer to take a first-round pick THIS YEAR instead of next if they could, so we're at a disadvantage right there if the Rams decide in March that they are going to trade him. He's probably not worth a first-round pick anyway.

Plummer and Griese will be offered starter bucks this off-season if they hit the FA market. If we bring either in, we will have to not continue with Fiedler after 2003 (Remember the clause in his contract? We can decide not to keep him after 2003 and not take a hefty cap hit).

Are you willing to bank on Plummer or Griese doing better than Fiedler? I'm not. Plummer and Griese have both been unimpressive the last couple of seasons (Both have had solid passing options too, and Griese has had the benefit of a great running game). Plummer has been wildly inconsistent, and Griese is in Mike Shanahan's doghouse. Shanahan has a GREAT track record with QBs, and if he gives up on him this off-season that will definitely not be a good message. Besides, why would Griese want to come to Miami and be constantly overshadowed by his HOF father? He couldn't succeed Elway, so what makes anyone think he can handle the pressure in Miami? What makes anyone think he would even want that pressure?

You can moan and groan about Fiedler all you want, but when it is all said he is still going to remain our man. Go play Madden and trade him for Plummer or Griese or something. Live in a fantasy world.

Many Anti-Fiedler members don't like Fiedler because he replaced Marino. I don't think it's only that, though. You see, Marino had his last, and arguably worst, game ever in January of 2000 (62-7 ring a bell?). Jay Fiedler just happened to be on the sideline opposite Marino that fateful day...

That's not fair to say we dont like Fiedler because of Marino. I gave him EVERY possible benefit of the doubt in the last 3 years. We dont need Marino but we need someone solid like Trent Green or Brad Johnson.

You know, a year ago we were all living in a fantasy world thinking we could ever have a Ricky Williams.

Go to the Broncos web site. Go to Griese's Bio and Stats. He has been in the top 10 every year in mnay categories including one Pro Bowl year. He has the franchise record for completion percentage.

Jay has never been in the top 10, never been to a Pro Bowl, and has never displayed the ability or talent that Griese has. Jay has been in the leaguie for six years. He has peaked.

Griese is the easy and best choice.

Those write-ups are meant to hype up players. Ever notice how they make even seventh-round picks sound GREAT?

Shanahan has a great track record with QBs. A trade is out of the question. Griese is currently under contract for way more than we can afford. If Griese ends up being cut, that means Shanahan gave up on him. That's definitely not a good sign. Even if Griese were cut, why would he DECIDE to go to Miami? That's just another high-pressure situation (Arguably worse than trying to succeed Elway). I'm sure he didn't go to Purdue, where his father went, for a reason...

Originally posted by LeftCoastPhin
That's not fair to say we dont like Fiedler because of Marino.

I did say MANY, not ALL, Anti-Fiedler folks...

We dont need Marino but we need someone solid like Trent Green or Brad Johnson.

Fiedler is just as solid as them.

You know Norv turner is pretty good with QBs too. I am telling you I think Norv's ball control game is much more suited to Griese than the verticle game Shanahan favors.

Also, I just checked out old Shanahans Bio. I am trying to find that great with QB your talking about. All I see ihim doing is riding on Elway's coat tails for years. Does that make Gary Stevens a "great with QB guy because of his work with Marino?"

Mikey doesn't look so hot without Johnny saving his butt. WHat has he done with a Championship College QB who went to the Pro Bowl his second year? Hmmmm not much.

Yes those bios are hyped. But the numbers in them are real.

And see my other post about the pressure crap. Thats the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. The kid wins a national chmpionship, goes to the Pro Bowl. He is as smart as they come. When did it ever become he was this big P*ssy????

You can keep the pressure argument, it doesn't hold water.

Originally posted by fin-atic
You know Norv turner is pretty good with QBs too. I am telling you I think Norv's ball control game is much more suited to Griese than the verticle game Shanahan favors.

FYI, Denver was fifth in the NFL in rushing this season...

Also, I just checked out old Shanahans Bio. I am trying to find that great with QB your talking about. All I see ihim doing is riding on Elway's coat tails for years. Does that make Gary Stevens a "great with QB guy because of his work with Marino?"

Steve Young and John Elway have both said Shanahan helped them out greatly when he was their QB coach.

He was the QB coach in Denver for most of Elway's early years (And later on near the end of his career). He didn't get a head coaching job in LA (Raiders) in '88 for nothing, you know.

Mikey doesn't look so hot without Johnny saving his butt. WHat has he done with a Championship College QB who went to the Pro Bowl his second year? Hmmmm not much.

What has this Championship College QB, who was NOT a first-round pick, done since his Pro Bowl season? Trip over his dog, be "odd" in the locker room, choke in games, look unimpressive, etc.

Yes those bios are hyped. But the numbers in them are real.

Guess what, the numbers I posted in here are real too. We scored a lot of points when Fiedler started. We scored 27.1 PPG in his starts, which would have been the third-best Dolphins scoring offense EVER if it had been over 16 games. You can't tell me Fiedler had NOTHING to do with our offense being so successful when he started. And you really can't convince me that gambling with Griese is a smart idea...

The Denver Broncos currently have Brian Griese and we have Jay Fiedler. I'd be happy with who we have because he is certainly not garbage.

Go ask some Broncos fans what they think of Griese.

And see my other post about the pressure crap. Thats the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. The kid wins a national chmpionship, goes to the Pro Bowl. He is as smart as they come. When did it ever become he was this big P*ssy????

Go ask some Broncos fans about Griese's tenure in Denver. He cannot handle pressure. Who the hell would want to come to Miami in his situation anyway? I would hate to be in my late-20s and ONLY hear constantly about my dad, who played when I was a little tyke.

You can keep the pressure argument, it doesn't hold water.

You can continue to be upset with Fiedler, but he's still going to be our starter. If I were you, I would forget about Griese.

Man you are stubborn (as I am).

Bronco fans are a REAL gauge of quality...NOT!

TThe difference between the nubers I gave and you gave? Mine are individual stats, rankings, etc. that directly reflect the performance of the player. Are you attributing the avg. points per game to Fidelr? If not than how much? How much was him and how much was th1800 yard back? What would you say?

The reference to the passing game was not that the offense was balanced. I am talking about the way routes are run and how the pasing game is utilized. Shanahan deploys a pressure passing game that sends the WRs deep and looks for various seems and windows. TUrner likes the shorter possesion routes to setup the big play. Advantage Turner and Griese.

We just have to disagre on this. You may be right, we may still have Jay as a starter. IF we don;t either trade for or draft a QB, then I will turn my wrath on the Coaching staff.

Back
Top Bottom