Fiedler Question? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fiedler Question?

Winfield_26

Draftologist
Reaction score
Now Im a memeber at BBI and have seen numerous guys coming over there and talking up Jay Fiedler. Now I remeber I think it was 2 years ago in his debut season when he was tearing up the league and then ran into my Bills & Co. He threw at least one INT that I remeber to my man Antoine Winfield. Anyways on to my question of how the Dolphins actually feel about Jay Fiedler? Yes he is a good scrambler but his arm dont look to good and durability seems to be a concern to me. DOes he have it all to lead or is there another leader on the Offense because Chambers need a consistent Fiedler with other consistent receivers to repeat last years amazing performance. I really like Chris Chambers but without the emergence of Gadsen or Ogden this year i dobt see it likely that he'll reapeat the same performance over again. Is Fiedler what you need? Will the other WR's step up? Who in the AFC East has the hardest CB's to throw against from your team being on offense?

Winfield_26

Well the best CB in the East outside of Miami is Ty Law, bar none.

Fiedler cut down his INTs BIG TIME in the second half of the season last year, only 4 in the last 7 games. He is a great leader and has the respect ofEVERY offensive teammate he is in the huddle with.

Durability shouldn't be a problem, he has only missed I think 1 game in 2 years here, but missed basically a full Jets game 2 years ago, so that is 2 games in 2 years, hardly a red flag.

Put it to you this way, no smack or arrogance or anything, but i would rather have Jay than Drew here in Miami, all things being equal.

James McKnight was inconsistent catching the ball, but he did have some good games.

Oronde Gadsden and Chris Chambers would make me afraid if I was an opposing defensive coordinator. It seems like every game Gadsden comes up with some sort of miracle catch.

I like our receivers, so I wouldn't say Jay has no one to throw too.

No. In the long run, Jay Fiedler isn't what this team needs. He's too limited to allow the Dolphins to run an offense at full blast. He has trouble throwing the ball accurately down the field, and he can't throw the out patterns at all. He also doesn't see the field well, and will usually lock onto his primary target.

Last year, he was in an offense that was tailored made for him, and he put up only mediocre numbers. He is a QB that needs to be put on the roll to be effective. He's below average when he has to sit in the pocket and make his reads, which is a bad fit for this Norv Turner offense.

In the end, Jay Fiedler is a back up QB that is starting right now because the league is so berift of good, starting quality quarterbacks.

I will disagree that he is only effective when he is on the move. In fact I think he is more effective IN the pocket. But, ONLY when he has the threat of a play-action-passing game as he did in his first year with the Dolphins. I think the overuse of the rollout passing game was necessary becuase of a mediocre-at-best offensive line and no threat of any good runs because of subpar-play by Lamar Smith.

I have heard the locks onto receivers commnet several times... and I beleive it to a point. But, I had the feeling watching many games last year, that he wasn't being ASKED to read the field. Several passes came out VERY quickly and happened BEFORE the plays had time to develop. I think Gailey was calling more timing patterns by necessity because of lack of time to pass because of HORRIBLE play by the left side of our line. When Fiedler DID have time to pass, he did a decent job of reading the field and making the right call. A perfect example of his development in this department was the now famous bobbled-INT by McKnight against the Ravens. Fiedler dropped back and was looking for Gadsden going down the left sideline... this brought the safety to that side of the field... so Fiedler went to McKnight who beat his man and hit him in stride for what WOULD have been a TD, if McKnight didn't have a case of butterfingeritus. He also made several good reads throughout the year in third-and-long situations. But it just seemed to me on passing plays on first and second down... that the plays were called with really only one option to pass to.

Fiedler is very good against bad teams and very bad against good teams but usually very good in the fourth quarter against any team. He is way too inconsistent, which is why I don't like him.

I just finished re watching the raiders win, and I noticed that Jay was staring down his receivers a bit. However he did make a couple of really nice "look left, then throw right" passes.

McKnight dropped two huge passes in that game. One was right to him, standing still, and he turned to run before he got the ball secured.

HOWEVER Jay was responsible for 10 of the Raiders points in turnovers.

Game wouldn't have even been close had he not tossed two stupid passes in that one.

I still like Jay though...lol

To say Jay locks on WRs and is only good when rolling out is unfair. Please remember this ir really his 4th year in the league, and is still learning. He did at the beginnig of last season lock on to wrs, but he was only playing with one familiar wr from the year before(OG), as he got more comfortable with CC and Mcknight, and had more time to learn he stopped doing it as much and towards the end of the season looked very good throwing to multiple targets, and going thru the correct progession. As far as him rolling out he didn't have much choice last year since his blind side was being protected by a 3rd string week 2 signing. It isn't a bad thing that he is capleble of rolling out and making throws, it alows more time for the secondary to break down. I am by no means a huge Jay fan, but i think he is improveing and could lead this team if they run on all cylinders, if Jay has to win the games then we are in trouble. As far as the CB question, besides Ty Law I don't fear any CB in the AFC east(Madison & Surtain not included). The Jets(now not last year) and the Bills have very weak secondarys, with the addition of RW it will be very hard for either team to defend Miami's passing game. They will most likely have to keep their safetys up for run support, witch will let CC, Gadsen, and Mcknight or Ward get some favorable match ups.

I agree with Dajesus and Grooves12--Jay is new at the position and I think his best football is ahead of him. I wouldn't call last year's offense tailor made for anybody--it was a trainwreck. I'm impressed with what Jay did last year. I only saw one game in person (the S.F. debacle) and I don't think I've ever seen a d-line dominate the line of scrimmage like the Niners did. There was no threat of a running game, and Jay never had time to go through any progressions. Many of the other Dolphins' games I saw on TV looked similar, though not as pronounced. I don't know of too many QB's who would've had a good year for the Dolphins last year. This year and next will really show if Jay can get it done. Turner's offense should help--a power running game can make any QB better--and I think Fiedler has shown enough determination and leadership ability that he deserves a chance to make it work. Bodzilla29 has a great point--Fiedler has the team's respect, and you can't overrate that.

At WR, I think the year Chambers had last year will make the other receivers better whenever he's on the field. As for the others: I look for McKnight to rebound from an off year, Dedric Ward really showed great ability in the clutch, and Gadsden has always been solid with a knack for the great catch. All four have their health questions, so I've got my fingers crossed.

As for the CB's, I agree that Ty Law is the best of the rest, but I don't put him in the same class as Madison or Surtain when they're on. I like Winfield and Clements a lot, but I am a Buckeye so I'm a little biased. I'm pretty glad that Aaron Glenn and Marcus Coleman are gone...

So is Brady and Dilfer...

Originally posted by KB21
No. In the long run, Jay Fiedler isn't what this team needs. He's too limited to allow the Dolphins to run an offense at full blast. He has trouble throwing the ball accurately down the field, and he can't throw the out patterns at all. He also doesn't see the field well, and will usually lock onto his primary target.

Last year, he was in an offense that was tailored made for him, and he put up only mediocre numbers. He is a QB that needs to be put on the roll to be effective. He's below average when he has to sit in the pocket and make his reads, which is a bad fit for this Norv Turner offense.

In the end, Jay Fiedler is a back up QB that is starting right now because the league is so berift of good, starting quality quarterbacks.

... ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooops there goes that idea KB. :toliet:

Huh, he played in an offense that was tailor made for him, who Fiedler? Nah it was tailor made for Lamar Smith before he decided he was going to be a Solid Gold dancer. Tailor made for Fiedler, WoW that's rich!

Oliver...

Here's a better question for you guys. Is it really Fielder or the offensive coaching?

Jay led the league in 4th quarter QB'ing so something was obviously up there. When they had to let the reigns off (ie the bills game) the offense rolled pretty decently.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
Here's a better question for you guys. Is it really Fielder or the offensive coaching?

Jay led the league in 4th quarter QB'ing so something was obviously up there. When they had to let the reigns off (ie the bills game) the offense rolled pretty decently.

Here's an answer for you.

Norv should help.....big time!

No.

When they let the reigns off the offense, Fiedler turned into a turnover machine. So, Chan had to reel the offense back in. That's what happened over the last part of the season, and that's why Jay's interceptions were cut down.

Originally posted by KB21
I agree that Jay is limited throws to the primary target too often and made lots of mistakes up until the 9th game of the year and in the SF game, but Jay also was only the 2nd Fin QB to throw for over 3000 yards and the O was not tailored made for him (IMO). The perfect O for Jay is handing off to Ricky and then when the D has totally keyed on the run throwing to CC.

The offense was structured away from Jay's weaknesses.

The reason the Dolphins stuck with the running game was because they had to. They weren't going to win if they tried to make Jay Fiedler into a Dan Marino type that can throw it 40 times a game with minimal mistakes. Pro Football Weekly even had an article that stated that very fact, saying that there is a lot Fiedler can't do, but he might be enough if the team can run the football and play defense. They said he HAS to have a running game.

And that is precisely why I don't think he is a starting QB. A QB has to be able to make plays when the running game isn't working, and Jay Fiedler doesn't do that enough. And the reason is quite simple. He just isn't a passing QB. His arm is too weak, release is too slow, and his ability to go through his progressions is non-existant.

That's why he was released from 3 teams. That's why he was never drafted. That's why he sucked in NFL Europe. He only has good numbers because Chan Gailey did a great job of covering up his weaknesses and stressing his strengths, which is his running ability and his ability to throw on the run.

Back
Top Bottom