Figuring out Ricky's salary | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Figuring out Ricky's salary

DrAstroZoom

Bon vivant
Reaction score
I'm going to need help from one of the site's resident number crunchers on this, but here's my theory.

Two main lines of thinking regarding Ricky's comeback are salary-related: that either he will be forced to play at the veteran minimum or that he will demand his full salary. Both lines of thinking assume Ricky's contact will be enforced after an arbiter's ruling.

However, I very, VERY seriously doubt this thing goes to arbitration. It's in neither side's best interest:

If Ricky loses, he not only gets the absolute bottom dollar, he gets the humiliation of being shot down in a request for more money. But the Dolphins have to be aware that half the lawyers who have looked at the contract feel an arbiter's decision could just as easily go Ricky's way, and they definitely don't want to be forced into paying him $3.7 mil.

Therefore, I think the situation is ripe for a renegotiated contract. As to what Ricky will be payed, I would ask the aforementioned number crunchers to figure out what the highest paid running back listed as second on his team's depth chart will make this year. I figure that's a pretty good place to start negotiations, and it may end up being pretty close to the final number.

Get real....to pay Ricky like a second string running back would make this organization look foolish. In the final 12 games, Ricky will definitely be getting at least 70% of the carries and there's no way he should be paid any less than what his existing contract calls for in 2005. (If anything, he should be given a raise as his current pay is too low).

dean_siu said:
Get real....to pay Ricky like a second string running back would make this organization look foolish. In the final 12 games, Ricky will definitely be getting at least 70% of the carries and there's no way he should be paid any less than what his existing contract calls for in 2005. (If anything, he should be given a raise as his current pay is too low).

take your own advice.

dean_siu said:

Are you serious? a raise? yo... i am about ricky comming back and paying him a decent amount... but not the full amount and definatly not a raise! We are already gunna be payin another RB alot of money (Ronnie) and definatly shouldnt spend alot of money on a 2nd one.

Nasty

dean_siu said:
:shakeno: WHile I don't care either way about Ricky coming back thats just silly.

edit: never mind I just realized you're the one that made the Parade thread.:dunce:

dean_siu said:

To pay him like a starting would be foolish. Ricky will be getting leauge min to maybe 1 million this year and thats it. He will get paid like a backup because he will be a backup.

Thanks a lot for hijacking this thread, dean. :rolleyes:

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Can anyone get that figure for me?

FinNasty23 said:
Are you serious? a raise? yo... i am about ricky comming back and paying him a decent amount... but not the full amount and definatly not a raise! We are already gunna be payin another RB alot of money (Ronnie) and definatly shouldnt spend alot of money on a 2nd one.

Nasty

Thats exactly why I advocated trading Ronnie.....it just doesn't make sense to pay a back that much money when he'll probably get 150 or less carries for the entire season. He's an unproven prospect that still has value and we'd be wise to cash in on it now.

Ricky will probably play for the minimum or somewhere around the million range but I am sure his contract will be heavily incentive based and I am sure it will include some clauses that will reduce or eliminate his debt to the club.

The original contract assumed he would be the feature back which he will not be when he gets back.He will miss one fourth of the season to start with.By then we shoud have a pretty solid running game established with our other backs.Its most likely they will ease Ricky in and that would be another four games before he becomes a feature back again.Thats half the season.

dean_siu said:
Thats exactly why I advocated trading Ronnie.....it just doesn't make sense to pay a back that much money when he'll probably get 150 or less carries for the entire season. He's an unproven prospect that still has value and we'd be wise to cash in on it now.

Let's not turn this into a "trade Ronnie" thread, ok? It's not going to happen. Ronnie's value is to this organization -- now and in the future.

Only pay him based on his performance and production...with only a little guaranteed

Do you have any players you think would qualify as being a great #2 RB? In this situation, do you consider T. Henry?

Back
Top Bottom