Film Highlights: Wisconsin Lb Andrew Van Ginkel | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Film Highlights: Wisconsin Lb Andrew Van Ginkel

Kyle Van Noy coming out was 6'3" and 243 pounds, and Van Ginkel is 6'3" and 241 pounds. Van Ginkel also tested much better (other than bench press) than Van Noy Did. Pro day shows he ran a 4.56 (which is probably closer to a 4.7) and he had a sub 7 3-cone at the combine.

He's super athletic. Just needs to get stronger

I was comparing to Ninkovich -- but yea he's almost a spec clone of Kyle and I 100% agree
he has the frame to definitely add muscle mass/power. Interesting the kid was a QB in HS.

Excellent scheme fit and could be a nice situational pass rusher for us.

He is athletic, and seems fairly aware of screens and draws, but he is absolutely terrible at getting off of blocks right now.

Remember we drafted this guy and people thought he was gonna be a special player for us.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jordan-tripp?id=2543735

Similar athlete . . . .could not get off a block to save his life. It was so bad it made him ineffective on special teams.

Temper expectations guys . . . . He has an uphill battle and really the scheme and his motor will be his greatest asset until he shows he can consistently shed blocks and get to the QB.

Only the sith deal in absolutes.

And only brow-beaten Dolphin fans deal only in possibilities....

It's also very possible that he was the highest on Miami's draft board.

It's also very possible that you were the highest you've ever been when you decided to defend drafting this guy in the 5th....

Lowering your "grade" a level because of a 5th round pick seems pretty comical to me.

You think this is a good pick when there was an opportunity to select Mack Wilson (3 down LB), Justin Hollins (Edge), Charles Omenihu (Edge), Joe Jackson (Edge)...but if I recall you're the one who basically said that Miami players are overrated and that's why they don't get drafted. We're talking about starters on the 3rd ranked pass defense in the NCAA...including a 2nd team All American. All for this guy (click the links at your leisure):

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/andrew-van-ginkel

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/andrew-van ginkel?id=32195641-4e46-3493-ddb1-0c81031159d0

https://www.buckys5thquarter.com/20...van-ginkel-scouting-report-wisconsin-football

Nobody in the NFL drafts 5th round picks as world-beaters. They draft them based on the potential for them to be a solid. He also fills a very specific role in this defense, as a blitzing linebacker who can also drop into coverage.

You don't draft them as world beaters. I draft them as BPA...you see different the Belichick way can make fanboys out of the LEAST of them. Those links tell me what I need to know about our blitzing LB who can drop into coverage.

His athletic profile also jumps off the charts. He was an explosive and productive player in college. Quit getting your panties in a bunch about a player drafted 150 selections into the draft.

Panties in a bunch...

Hmm...I'll wait before I respond to that. I would hate t get a warning from the admin and you weren't being malicious.

Only the sith deal in absolutes.

It's also very possible that he was the highest on Miami's draft board.

Lowering your "grade" a level because of a 5th round pick seems pretty comical to me.

Nobody in the NFL drafts 5th round picks as world-beaters. They draft them based on the potential for them to be a solid. He also fills a very specific role in this defense, as a blitzing linebacker who can also drop into coverage.

His athletic profile also jumps off the charts. He was an explosive and productive player in college. Quit getting your panties in a bunch about a player drafted 150 selections into the draft.
Not to be nitpicky bro, because you know I love ya, but when you say "only" the sith deal in absolutes …. isn't that an absolute when you use "only" like that? :D

He’s also very athletic, quick and fast... this is a 4.5 linebacker
Well he didn't run at the Combine. Pro Day times are always less reliable, but he did run a 4.56 at his Wisconsin Pro Day. Calling that a 4.6 forty seems reaslonable, and 4.6 is a fast LB no matter how you slice it. Sub 4.6 is very fast. So yeah, I agree with yout point. His Vertical is 38" and his broad jump was 123" so he does have some explosion.

But watching the film, I just don't see him winning 1v1's on the edge. I see him getting schemed opportunities, which is a strength of this defense, certainly, but not sure he offers much more to the pass rush. As an off-ball LB, he has some ability in other areas … which is nice. But ultimately, we needed 2 or 3 edge players. At most, we found 1. I'm not convinced Van Ginkel can beat out Kiko Alonso or Jerome Baker, who are his direct competitors. Heck, Chase Allen is likely to be a direct competitor this year as well … so fingers crossed it is a good competition, because we need to find some edge rushers or this defense isn't going to look good in 2019.

One thought I had was that the lack of edge rushers was intentional. It really goes a long way towards tanking if we have no pass rush. Call that what you will, but we could have had Chase Winovich, the better version of what Van Ginkel offers, or Zach Allen. Both of those guys were available at the end of the 2nd, and both were among the last of the top tier edge guys. Now we're relying 100% on scheme.

We drafted the kid. They (including Flores) must like him. He's definitely an athlete.
Seriously doubt they we're obsessing if he was the vaunted BPA regardless of
positional fit and/or their defined prototype. They think he's a fit. Let's see what
Flores etc. can do with the kid before we make any definitive declarations.

For me at least -- I'm totally OK with giving the Org the benefit of the doubt until
they prove (definitively) that benefit is not deserved. If that happens we're in big
trouble so for now I'm down with being "faulty" on the optimistic side.

Honestly I'm sick and tired of being negative about this franchise. Don't think I
can take another round of failure...

Back
Top Bottom