Film Highlights: Wisconsin Lb Andrew Van Ginkel | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Film Highlights: Wisconsin Lb Andrew Van Ginkel

Funny thing is Dennis Hickey claimed him off waivers from NO and then we waived/cut him a year or so later
he bounded back to NO and got trashed again and then lands in NE -- where his transition to LB was finally
completed! Point is he's far from a special player/athlete but persisted and gets the benefit of being used
effectively within his limitations.

Personally I don't see much resemblance to Van Ginkel -- who's a superior athlete and way longer longer looking
on the field wheres Ninkovich is "thick" and definitely looks like a converted stubby DE.

Tho I know you weren't really directly comparing them as players but R5 picks.

:)

Yeah, definitely. I made the comparison to say, like, hey, Ninkovich wasn't an HOF guy but the Pats used him well and got a reliable cog for their defense for the majority of a decade-long career.

Yeah, definitely. I made the comparison to say, like, hey, Ninkovich wasn't an HOF guy but the Pats used him well and got a reliable cog for their defense for the majority of a decade-long career.

Way back Shula used to make moves like that.
We've been idiots for so long most don't have a clue what a highly functional
Pro football franchise looks/acts like. Have to hope we've turned the corner after decades...

Not going to get weird or too old school, But I remember a 5th round pick linebacker that was small, had a lot of knocks on him but was a baller. I hope this kid can come close to measuring up to Zach! This kid has the speed and heart. I pray he gets the chance and coaching and becomes a steal for us. Go Fins!

Not going to get weird or too old school, But I remember a 5th round pick linebacker that was small, had a lot of knocks on him but was a baller. I hope this kid can come close to measuring up to Zach! This kid has the speed and heart. I pray he gets the chance and coaching and becomes a steal for us. Go Fins!

One of the great "finds" of all time.

Pissed every scout off.

"Now we have to evaluate every stubby 5-10 LB in college!"

Weight room time is needed. Has a nice nose for the scheme and ball. Solid Instincts, but is going to get engulfed by big strong linemen.

We can always hope for another Zach Thomas, he was a 5th as well. We will need to wait and see on this one.

Well he didn't run at the Combine. Pro Day times are always less reliable, but he did run a 4.56 at his Wisconsin Pro Day. Calling that a 4.6 forty seems reaslonable, and 4.6 is a fast LB no matter how you slice it. Sub 4.6 is very fast. So yeah, I agree with yout point. His Vertical is 38" and his broad jump was 123" so he does have some explosion.

But watching the film, I just don't see him winning 1v1's on the edge. I see him getting schemed opportunities, which is a strength of this defense, certainly, but not sure he offers much more to the pass rush. As an off-ball LB, he has some ability in other areas … which is nice. But ultimately, we needed 2 or 3 edge players. At most, we found 1. I'm not convinced Van Ginkel can beat out Kiko Alonso or Jerome Baker, who are his direct competitors. Heck, Chase Allen is likely to be a direct competitor this year as well … so fingers crossed it is a good competition, because we need to find some edge rushers or this defense isn't going to look good in 2019.

One thought I had was that the lack of edge rushers was intentional. It really goes a long way towards tanking if we have no pass rush. Call that what you will, but we could have had Chase Winovich, the better version of what Van Ginkel offers, or Zach Allen. Both of those guys were available at the end of the 2nd, and both were among the last of the top tier edge guys. Now we're relying 100% on scheme.

Again... I think this scheme uses blitz’s more than edge rushers... we are so conditioned here to the Trace Armstrong’s, Jason Taylor’s and Cam Wakes that we forget New England doesn’t operate like that.

Back
Top Bottom