Final Pieces next year to a championship caliber team..? Draft and Free Agency. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Final Pieces next year to a championship caliber team..? Draft and Free Agency.

How about we just get through preseason healthy and HOPEFULLY 5 lineman who took their spots by their play.

My lord. The current rookies haven't even put on a Phin helmet yet and you people are already talking about next year.

I see no problem with fans talking about what they would like to seein 2021. I fail to see how that hurts anything. Most of us knew going in this was going to be a two or three step process. No harm thinking about step two. I'm sure the Dolphins scouting staff is already thinking about next year's draft class too.

Houston implodes and ends up with the worst record in the NFL. That gives us the 1st overall pick. We have our franchise QB in Tua so no need for Lawrence. That allows us to trade that top pick for a boatload of high picks for the 2021 draft and beyond.

Indeed.

TFK

I don’t care that anyone is talking about this, but seriously, who the hell knows what final or next pieces will be yet. For all we know we might have to replace Tua in a year or two. This is like asking to grade the draft we just had and those players haven’t even sniffed the field yet and we’re asking to grade them

I think we are still quite some distance from a championship team... but to continue to step in the right direction I would look at yet more heavy investment in the OL and DL, plus RB, WR and a true TE if possible

Houston implodes and ends up with the worst record in the NFL. That gives us the 1st overall pick. We have our franchise QB in Tua so no need for Lawrence. That allows us to trade that top pick for a boatload of high picks for the 2021 draft and beyond.

Indeed.

TFK

I'm sure there are those who will say draft Tua in 2020 and Lawrence in 2021 let them battle it out and then trade the runner up in the battle. You would still get a good return in a trade for either, although it would be less than if you just traded the pick prior to selecting Lawrence. By letting the the two compete you increase your odds of having an elite qb though. I'm sure there's a chance one of the two flops, but that both bust seems unlikely. All of that to say I could see why some would say draft both... however trading the pick and getting a kings ransom would be nice too.

Still a bunch of needs for next year:

1. HB (assuming Breida is not resigned)
2. Slot WR (Wilson will be gone in 12 months, though the Navy kid could be developed)
3. Blocking TE (Gesicki is basically a WR and Smythe hasn’t shown much)
4. Right tackle (could be Hunt, but I think he’s a guard in the long term and this is the most important position in protecting Tua)
5. Center (they must not think much of Karras if they gave him only a one year deal)
6. D-tackle (Godchaux might price himself out of being resigned)
7. Edge rusher (could turn out to be Weaver if he gets in shape)
8. Linebacker (McMillan, Grugier-Hill, Biegel, and Roberts are all free agents)
9. Safety (they passed this year, but do we really see McCain and Rowe being the tandem for three straight seasons?)

With plenty of cap space and picks, though not as many as this year, there should be enough to fill all the holes assuming most of the rookies drafted this week are not busts.

I would like another good lineman or two, and upgrade the safety position. I think we are solid at wr. there will be some speedsters with skill in next years draft. don't understand why everyone thinks our wr corp isn't very good. we have some darn good ones esp if Williams is 100%. would like a backer that is a 3 down guy as well. we went so heavy with the dline this year that I think we would only take one next year if they were a generational talent

Parker is a one hit wonder so far, was last year an outlier or is there more good to come? Williams was good for a rookie but will be be the same after the injury? Now that teams have film on him can he improve or will he regress? Wilson hasn't broken 400 yds in 2 years at Miami so far he's been disappointing considering what we're paying him. Jakeem Grant is not a reliable target and is best suited for 1-2 gadget plays a game and ST. Gesicki had a good bounce back year but didn't really light it up he only had 3 games with 75 yards or more and 0 100 yard games.

That's too many question marks to think this WR corp is very good. We have guys with potential but no one with a proven track record.

I don’t care that anyone is talking about this, but seriously, who the hell knows what final or next pieces will be yet. For all we know we might have to replace Tua in a year or two. This is like asking to grade the draft we just had and those players haven’t even sniffed the field yet and we’re asking to grade them

I think it's more of a case of what people would like to see next year not people predicting what will take place.

Creed Humphrey...maybe another tackle.

I doubt we're 6 win bad, though. The free agents alone make this a much better squad.

Ja’marr Chase or Devonta Smith should be high up on that 2021 draft list.
If your gonna fantasize might as well go with best.

Penei Sewell OT a name you Will be hearing more of. He's in his own Universe....very very rare and exceptional Talent that doesn't come around often...
Nice dream

One day out from the draft and you are talking about next year's draft? Can't we watch these players perform then judge what we may may not need in the next off-season?

Sheesh.

I think we are still quite some distance from a championship team... but to continue to step in the right direction I would look at yet more heavy investment in the OL and DL, plus RB, WR and a true TE if possible
Wr will be our biggest need next year

Back
Top Bottom