Finally someone got it right | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Finally someone got it right

That thought makes the hair stand up on the back of my head. WOW.

Woodley likely stays here longer and the problems get worse. Where would we have been in say, 1987 or '88 if that happens...
Really Miami was close in that game. If Theismann doesn't bat away that pass, the Dolphins are up 24-13. Still would have required Woodley to make a few plays, but maybe with that cushion he settles in.

Its interesting to think what might have happened. Before that super bowl, Woodley was seen as a somewhat rising talent. He played well in the playoff win against the Chargers and decently considering field conditions in the AFC championship.

Really Miami was close in that game. If Theismann doesn't bat away that pass, the Dolphins are up 24-13. Still would have required Woodley to make a few plays, but maybe with that cushion he settles in.

Its interesting to think what might have happened. Before that super bowl, Woodley was seen as a somewhat rising talent. He played well in the playoff win against the Chargers and decently considering field conditions in the AFC championship.
I have never liked the assumption that the skins would have had to abandon riggins in the 4th quarter. That was when backs like him and Zonk start feasting on gassed-out defenses. Either Woodley or Strock would have had Work To Do and I'm not 100% sure either one would have done it. 11 points would not have been enough.

One thing that everyone in the whole entire universe knows though... once the skins took the lead, we were NOT coming back.

I have never liked the assumption that the skins would have had to abandon riggins in the 4th quarter. That was when backs like him and Zonk start feasting on gassed-out defenses. Either Woodley or Strock would have had Work To Do and I'm not 100% sure either one would have done it. 11 points would not have been enough.

One thing that everyone in the whole entire universe knows though... once the skins took the lead, we were NOT coming back.
Makes sense, especially since that was also what Washington did best. Miami's pass defense was very good as well.

The Dolphins likely would have needed one time consuming drive with at least a field goal to put it away. That would have required Woodley to make a few plays.

The truth is what got Marino drafted. And the truth was a historically bad super bowl for Woodley.

Woodley likely stays here longer and the problems get worse. Where would we have been in say, 1987 or '88 if that happens...
You never know though. Shula likely would have altered his draft strategy to favor power running and defense - the formula that worked w Woodley. Just saying I don’t think a coach who only had 2 losing seasons in 33 years would have floundered. Somehow he would have had the team relevant. He was still a great coach at the time.

I still think the game is all but over. 11 points was a big margin in those days and that ‘82 defense we had was outstanding in terms of PPG. To stay w Riggins - just not enough time to go 3.34 yards a carry for two TD drives. I don’t see it. Anything is possible and if it’s “today’s NFL” I absolutely agree - but at that time, situation in the game etc I think we would have had them. Perhaps they get a TD and try an onside kick. I really think that was the ball game.

I still think the game is all but over. 11 points was a big margin in those days and that ‘82 defense we had was outstanding in terms of PPG. To stay w Riggins - just not enough time to go 3.34 yards a carry for two TD drives. I don’t see it. Anything is possible and if it’s “today’s NFL” I absolutely agree - but at that time, situation in the game etc I think we would have had them. Perhaps they get a TD and try an onside kick. I really think that was the ball game.
I agree with ya there RS...

Independent position article. Quit confusing the two. Dan isn't less of a QB for not winning a SB anymore than Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer are great for being parasites on championship defense teams that won SBs.

This is the iron clad point that most fans just never understand. American football isn't an individual sport like singles tennis or UFC. One player doesn't have complete control over winning or losing. Even a QB, which is the most important offensive position on the field. A QB doesn't even have near the same impact a single player on a basketball or baseball team does. Because there's more players involved and they don't participate on the defensive side of the ball or on special teams.

Yet fans mistakenly give all the credit and blame to one solitary position. It's never been that simple with football, which is the ultimate team sport.

Often, fans also overlook front offices and ownership, which plays just as large a role in determining a SB winner. The decisions that are made via FA, the draft, managing salary cap, etc. are all integral. But many fans can't see past past a game winning or losing drive.

Your comment above is spot on. Winning or losing those games didn't change the narrative of the individuals, but rather the organizations as a whole.

I will say that I thought Drew Brees had the best super bowl of any quarterback. So I'd put him in the first tier. Overall not much to disagree with.

I feel Simms had the best Super Bowl ever. It was a different game in 1986/87. It was so much easier to throw by 2009/10. Simms was 22 for 25. I don't remember if it was a Peter King story or in The Ultimate Super Bowl Book (excellent read) where it wa swritten two of Simms misses were passes he intentionally threw away. Whish means he was 22 for 23 when actually throwing to a receiver.

If we had won that Super Bowl, we still take Marino (assuming Washington didn't grab him at 27). By 1987/88, Woodley still ends up in Pittsburgh and Green Bay before being out of the NFL. No change.

I feel Simms had the best Super Bowl ever. It was a different game in 1986/87. It was so much easier to throw by 2009/10. Simms was 22 for 25. I don't remember if it was a Peter King story or in The Ultimate Super Bowl Book (excellent read) where it wa swritten two of Simms misses were passes he intentionally threw away. Whish means he was 22 for 23 when actually throwing to a receiver.
It’s so hard for me to take Simms seriously growing up in northern NJ and seeing pretty much every game he played. He was crap. But he had the best SB game statistically for sure.

I am incredibly sorry for the number of typos in my posts. My typing is atrocious.

Back
Top Bottom