Finally someone got it right | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Finally someone got it right

I think it was his best. The bigger, bulkier Skins team pushed us around on both sides of the ball on the lines but somehow our pass D held up and picked Theisman 2x. One of them at the skins 40 in the 2nd half. Woodley couldn’t do anything and we didn’t get any points out of it. And really the play of the game was not the Riggins run - it was Theisman playing DEFENSE on his own pass. That play goes for a TD and goodnight at 24-13 in the 4th. No more Riggins and they couldn’t throw on us. The skins were the better team but Shula almost pulled this one out. A very underrated SB.
Agree on the play of the day.

HBO did a documentary on him after he died. His ex wife said he drank a case of beer the night before the SB. He suffered from social anxiety but it wasn’t diagnosed back then in those days. Apparently it’s why he never took his helmet off or gave interviews / wasn’t comfortable talking to the media. So he drank... He was an immensely talented athlete and had a huge arm. I still remember him catching a TD vs the Jets on a trick play. Shula got a lot out of him considering he was an 8th round pick. I believe he holds the highest win % of any QB in fins history (I know it’s misleading) - but shows just how much Shula was on his game at the time.

Were they counting the wins where Strock came in to Finnish?

Agree on the play of the day.
Alternative Reality: Kim Bokamper as MVP of Super Bowl XVII.

And we would never have had to put up with theisman's whinyness ever again.

I kepp telling myself, there was too much time left though, riggins probably scores again with 5 seconds left to pull out the win or something like that.

Probably- that’s a thing I do have an issue with. If a QB is yanked while the team is winning, losing or tied - and the backup comes in and wins the game, the starting QB gets the W. I don’t think that makes any sense. Woodley got bailed out by Griese in 1980 and Strock after that a good number of times.

Alternative Reality: Kim Bokamper as MVP of Super Bowl XVII.

And we would never have had to put up with theisman's whinyness ever again.

I kepp telling myself, there was too much time left though, riggins probably scores again with 5 seconds left to pull out the win or something like that.
I truly believe it would have been over. Other than that big run - which likely doesn’t play out in that alternative universe, he wasn’t popping them. It was literally 3.34 yards every time. Long, time consuming drives but we kept holding at the last moment to FGs or eventual punts. That they had only 13 deep into the 4th was incredible considering how many rushing yards / TOP they had. Theisman doesn’t make that play and they have to throw it - which they could not do when the threat of the run game was there. If we could pin ears back and just play pass D I think we get them in checkmate.

Probably- that’s a thing I do have an issue with. If a QB is yanked while the team is winning, losing or tied - and the backup comes in and wins the game, the starting QB gets the W. I don’t think that makes any sense. Woodley got bailed out by Griese in 1980 and Strock after that a good number of times.

I gotta be honest though, I hate when they count wins and losses for QBs and goaltenders. Hockey and football are the ultimate team sports where you have to count on everyone around you and in front of you. I don’t have as much of a problem concerning a baseball pitcher because they really control the game whether they‘re dealing or blowing chunks out there

Every time I see it, it feels like he’s gonna catch it for the TD...
Lots of what ifs in that game. If memory serves, Woodley had an interception that went off the hands of a receiver. Should have been a catch and would have been a first down, although the throw wasn't great. What if Miami brings in Strock to begin the second half? I realize Woodley had played well in the postseason and, at that point, he was Miami's future. There's no way Shula could have expected Dan Marino to fall to the Dolphins in the next draft. But, the biggest play was Theisman having the presence of mind to hit that ball away.

I drove out to Cal State Fullerton prior to that super bowl to see the team. It was raining so the practice was reported to be cancelled. But the skies cleared and here comes the team. I got Shula's autograph that day, but David Woodley was surrounded by other players coming in. As if, in a way, he was being protected from fans. Very sad story. Perhaps, a player like that gets help today.

I drove out to Cal State Fullerton prior to that super bowl to see the team. It was raining so the practice was reported to be cancelled. But the skies cleared and here comes the team. I got Shula's autograph that day, but David Woodley was surrounded by other players coming in. As if, in a way, he was being protected from fans. Very sad story. Perhaps, a player like that gets help today.

Yes, hopefully they do get help as we have come a long way in actually recognizing mental health is a big issue in this world and we’re being more sympathetic to it. I just hope we don’t go overboard and attach it to every idiot out there who acts like Antonio Brown. That guy is a human slug. Always about himself and **** everyone else. There’s a difference

Lots of what ifs in that game. If memory serves, Woodley had an interception that went off the hands of a receiver. Should have been a catch and would have been a first down, although the throw wasn't great. What if Miami brings in Strock to begin the second half? I realize Woodley had played well in the postseason and, at that point, he was Miami's future. There's no way Shula could have expected Dan Marino to fall to the Dolphins in the next draft. But, the biggest play was Theisman having the presence of mind to hit that ball away.
I believe the only reason Strock didn’t start the 2nd half is because we were winning. W Woodley in there you had to guard against everything including him running. We usually only went to Strock when there was no choice but to air it out. I wish he had gotten into the game as soon as the skins went up 20-17. I believe that means he would have had one more series than he did.

I believe the only reason Strock didn’t start the 2nd half is because we were winning. W Woodley in there you had to guard against everything including him running. We usually only went to Strock when there was no choice but to air it out. I wish he had gotten into the game as soon as the skins went up 20-17. I believe that means he would have had one more series than he did.
Totally agree with that assessment.

Another point on Woodley. Would Miami have drafted Marino if the Dolphins win that super bowl?
Wow now that’s a good one. I still say “yes” as they came so close and drafted him none the less. But then again, perhaps some of it was motivated by how poorly the 2nd half of that SB went for him.

Another point on Woodley. Would Miami have drafted Marino if the Dolphins win that super bowl?
That thought makes the hair stand up on the back of my head. WOW.

Woodley likely stays here longer and the problems get worse. Where would we have been in say, 1987 or '88 if that happens...

Back
Top Bottom