Finheaven Staff Ask Us Anything | Page 32 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Finheaven Staff Ask Us Anything

How do you grow seedless fruit?
Fruit development normally begins when one or more egg cells in the ovular compartment of the flower are fertilized by sperm nuclei from pollen. In some plants, however, fruit develops without fertilization, a phenomenon known as parthenocarpy. Parthenocarpic fruit has advantages over seeded fruit: longer shelf life and greater consumer appeal.

The most frequent reasons for lack of seed development are pollination failure, or nonfunctional eggs or sperm. In many plants, self-incompatibility genes limit successful fertilization to cross-pollination between genetically different male and female parents. This property is exploited by citrus farmers who grow seedless fruits, such as navel oranges and clementines. Because these cultivars are self-incompatible, they fail to set seeds when they are planted in orchards of identical plants (clones). These plants have a high frequency of parthenocarpy, however, so they still produce fruit. Such trees do not require seeds for propagation. In fact, propagation by seed would be disadvantageous because the progeny would differ from the parent. Instead, nurserymen frequently propagate fruit trees asexually, usually by grafting.

Another frequent reason for the lack of successful fertilization is a chromosomal imbalance. For example, the common banana is triploid. In other words, it has three sets of chromosomes. Instead of having one set of chromosomes from each parent, it has two sets from one parent and one set from the other parent. Triploids seldom produce eggs or sperm that have a balanced set of chromosomes and so a successful seed set is very rare. Bananas, too, are parthenocarpic and produce fruit in the absence of successful fertilization. These bananas are asexually propagated. After the stalk has flowered and borne fruit, it dies. But there are side shoots or suckers at the base of the main stalk, which can be removed and replanted to continue the cultivar. Growers also propagate bananas by tissue culture.

Seedless watermelons are particularly interesting because they must be propagated by seed, and yet growers can still exploit parthenocarpy. One way to make seedless watermelons is to produce triploid seed. As in the case of bananas, triploid watermelons cannot produce functional seeds, but they still develop good fruit through parthenocarpy. Plant breeders produce triploid seed by crossing a normal diploid parent with a tetraploid parent, which itself is made by genetically manipulating diploids to double their chromosome number. In the case of watermelons, this manipulation has to be performed each generation, so it is a somewhat expensive proposition but still worthwhile.

Plant biologists have learned that if the plant hormone auxin is produced early in ovule development, parthenocarpic fruit can grow on plants that do not usually exhibit this property. Thus, genetic engineering will most likely give consumers parthenocarpic fruit in many other species in the near future.

I hope this explains the process in a manner that is comprehendible, and thank you for the question. It's a fascinating topic. Please feel free to submit any additional questions you may have...

What is the policy/rule of thumb for deleted posts?

I ask that question because it seems as if it's like the second person is penalized for something that could have been avoided had the first person been checked...basically throwing the flag on the 2nd guy.

Should every post created that could lead to a negative outcome be deleted? Should the post with the most vitriol behind it be deleted?

I don't know, which is why I'm asking.

I ask that question because it seems as if it's like the second person is penalized for something that could have been avoided had the first person been checked...basically throwing the flag on the 2nd guy.

Should every post created that could lead to a negative outcome be deleted? Should the post with the most vitriol behind it be deleted?

A good rule of thumb, be respectful of others and you won't have to worry about it. If it's an outright personal attack against you, please report it, don't retaliate. Thanks for your question.

To expand on what 13 just said we also reserve the right and do handle issues behind closed doors. Member A will never know if Member B was punished and vice versa but there are open discussions within the Staff on a course of action which will include reviewing the large context and intent of both members.

Hey what happened to the 3 yards per carry podcasts I do not see them.?

We made a decision moving forward to strengthen our external relationships and support the alternative platforms that reciprocate the support for our community. They've made a decision to no longer post their podcasts here. You will have to go directly to their source to listen to them.
Give the DolphinsTalk podcast a listen, they're great guys that post here, support us, and their Podcasts are very good. They also have a youtube channel, check it out. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx1L-PmXIO3VmUigjDa5Ggw
Thanks for your question...
:fh

Two complex questions.
1. If you could field an All-Time Dolphins team, who would your starters be ... and why?
2. If every team fielded an All-Time team of their players, which teams would you think would be the best ... and why?

Back
Top Bottom