FinHeaven Unleashes Draft Central | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

FinHeaven Unleashes Draft Central

The problem with your use of statistics caneproud is its a very normative argument. You start out believing that Wilfork is more dominant than Dockett (an opinion shared by many draftniks) then you look at the stats and try to find how you can mold the statistics into your argument. Ideally one would just look at the statistics without prejudice and figure out what you are seeing in the stats...then perhaps look at some film to verify or discredit your hypotheses. If you think Wilfork is more dominant than Dockett, thats fine. Its an opinion shared by most draftniks and probably most NFL scouts and GMs. You can rely on their opinions (a heavy argument) in conjunction with the small amount of film you've seen on the two players...but do not rely on complicated statistic constructions as its more or less like seeing Mother Mary in a bunch of windows...you see what you want to see.

You have to respect Boomer's opinion tho. He watches more film on each guy than you or I could and does this kind of thing professionally.

Two more things to add to keep in mind. Part of the reason I'm not high on Wilfork (and I'm a biiiiig Canes fan too...HATE the seminoles), is because of the weight thing. It was an issue a while ago when he was a part time player, it was an issue before the combine, he lost weight for the combine and the workouts, and now he's packed it right back on...according to the infamous pro football talk. I think he'll be like a Ted Washington type...he'll struggle with weight, end up a 2 down player at DT big force in run defense tying up the tackles but not truly dominant. He could on the other hand, be like a Tim Bowens. Who knows.

The second thing is, as stated in another thread, Phil Rivers went on radio and they asked who he's played against that is most ready for the NFL and he said without hesitation or doubt, Darnall Dockett. So you know Dockett gets into QBs heads if he has Rivers in awe of him. Dockett impressed people at the week of Senior Bowl practices, and he impressed me during the Senior Bowl game. I'm not sure why he's not considered by the crowd to be a better DT than where he's slated in the middle of round 2, to be completely honest.

BTW Boomer I wanted to ask you about that statistic for Shawn Andrews...the 70% of runs going behind him thing. Where did you get that statistic? I'm just curious, because recently Alex Marvez in today's article quoted the exact same stat and I was wondering if it came from a pretty common source of if its perhaps possible that Mr. Marvez was perusing the Fin Heaven boards saw that statistic in your draft central, then did a little research to verify or something of that nature.

See the problem with your argument is that you have no idea how much film I watch, you took a stab in the dark and 'assumed' I watched less film than Boomer. Like I've stated before I went back and reviewed the film and have seen every fsu game and every miami game. I'm not that obsessive for other schools for I am for the both of them. I would dare to say I have watched more film than Boomer has on both of these guys. Now you can say you don't believe me and that's fine and to tell you the truth have respect for Boomer because of all the time he puts into this board. I don't have nearly as much time as he has to critic all the most talented players in the draft and review film on all of them, but I can tell you that I have done my homework on these two (plus 5 for Miami). Dockett is a real risky pick at 20 IMHO. I would venture to say that he's a risky pick at 30. Starks, Wilfork, Harris, and even Olshansky (who has tremendous upside) are more worthy of those top DT spots. If we had a second round pick however I wouldn't mind picking him up, but there's just more talented and multidimensional people at his position.

You're right I did assume you didn't watch every single UM game and every single FSU game scouring those two players in each respective game in order to evaluate them for the purposes of talking about them on message boards...but thats not an unreasonable assumption.

I don't do that to talk about it with you guys, I watch the games because I enjoy seeing them and watching who will be good for my dolphins.

Boomer I congrulate you on you work, effort, opinions, and professionalisim. Thank You!

I'm a huge fan of college recruiting and the NFL draft. I'm like a kid on Christmas trying to find out who's worthy of NFL U and who's worthy of the Dolphins' draft pick. This is for my own personal enjoyment knowing everything I can about the teams I love the most (went to school at FSU, but can't take the Cane out of me).

Be patient my friend. As soon as I do it, I'll get it up. I have my questions ready.

It's getting kind of late, I'm guessing we won't be seeing Boomers OLB, Safeties and CB lists??

Noodle Arm said:
It's getting kind of late, I'm guessing we won't be seeing Boomers OLB, Safeties and CB lists??

Good to see the anticipation out there.:) Boomer wrote up the whole nine yards, and despite some delay on our end, we'll have them all up as soon as the pages are structured and formatted. Please stay tuned.

Yes, Boomer got everything to us in plenty of time. It's just a matter of us (the staff) being extremely busy with work and life (as well as other facets of the site). In all honesty, there just haven't been enough hours in the day lately.

I'm going to try and bang out the final pages before I drop fast asleep here.

Back
Top Bottom