Fins Greatest D-line? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins Greatest D-line?

Got say I was a kid during the Super Bowl years but remember Bill Stanfill the stud DE & Manny Fernandez the tackel that almost won the MVP in the Super Bowl with like 20 tackles.

The Killer B’s were very good Baumhauer was special noseman but injuries got to him. Doug Betters is one of our career single season leaders. I think JT is now....
Jimmy’s D line was wicked. I think it was the second year when we crushed Buffalo during the Flutie Flakes locker room speech Jimmy gave to get to the playoffs. There were 2 Shula player Bowen’s and Armstrong. Jimmy got two players, Gardner was a stud tackle & JT went on to be an HOF DE. My favorite player of the modern era.
Recently the Dline that featured Wake & Suh was pretty good.
Even though Shula’s early Dline got the Rings.
‘I got say Jimmy’s Dline with JT is the only one with a HOFer. JT, Tim Bowen .Daryl Gardner & Chase Armstrong are the best collection of talent on the Dline
in Dolphin history.

Here is to Raekwon Davis, Ogadabu & Jallen Phillips become the best in team histor. Go Fins!

It's hard to separate the DLine from the rest of the D. The 72-73 Defense was the most successful overall. The early 2000's year where Armstrong and Ogundeleye actually came off the bench was the deepest. But my vote for the best goes to the 82 or 83 Killer Bees with Baumhower, Bokamper, and Betters. 2 out of 3 in '83 (Betters and Baumhower) were 1st team All Pros (!), with Betters winning DPOY. That 4th quarter vs Seattle really still gnaws at me. That might have been Dan the Man's best chance at a ring, with the B's and him.

Here is to Raekwon Davis, Ogadabu & Jallen Phillips become the best in team histor. Go Fins!
We finally have quality depth to put out some lines we can be proud of.

Ogbah, Phillips, Van Ginkle, Raekwon, Wilkins, and Sieler.

We run a somewhat positionless defense, so three of those guys are listed at OLB. But all will see a lot of time on the line and we can put out fronts to stop the run or the pass.

I know this thread is about the best lines of the past. This group does not belong in the discussion. But I'm excited to see if they can earn the honor.

Which one do you think it was?
From 1997-2000, we had: Jason Taylor, Trace Armstrong, Tim Bowens and Darryl Gardener
That's gotta be the top one or two right?

I never base my judgements on team success or lack thereof. Football is a team sport. The ultimate team sport.

It wasn't Marino's fault the defense was mostly awful during his prime years. And it wasn't the Taylor-Thomas-Surtain-Madison era defenses fault the offense was largely mediocre at best.

The DB's MIA fielded in the late-90's, early 2000's were as good as any they've ever had.

The d-line you listed was as good as any they've had too.

Some of those 90's, 2000's defenses on the whole were good enough to win a title. Unfortunately the rest of the team wasn't good enough for it to happen. Coaching decisions were also very suspect.

It's hard to separate the DLine from the rest of the D. The 72-73 Defense was the most successful overall. The early 2000's year where Armstrong and Ogundeleye actually came off the bench was the deepest. But my vote for the best goes to the 82 or 83 Killer Bees with Baumhower, Bokamper, and Betters. 2 out of 3 in '83 (Betters and Baumhower) were 1st team All Pros (!), with Betters winning DPOY. That 4th quarter vs Seattle really still gnaws at me. That might have been Dan the Man's best chance at a ring, with the B's and him.
Fulton Walker fumbling back to back kickoffs was brutal.

When you think about it, Miami has had some great defensive lines.

While I think Jason Taylor was the best defensive player in Dolphins history, hard to argue with that early 70's group. They played a huge role in bringing two titles to Miami.

The current defensive line is a work in progress. Wilkins is solid, Davis was very good in his role as a rookie. Ogbah had a breakout year and Phillips is still a projection, but I really like his talent. There's nice depth.

An elite tackle or defensive end could transform the current group.

It's a shame it took until 96 for them to get the line decent again. Marino was well past the glory days by then. Thanks Jimmy.

The D-Line from the 72 and 73 was ridiculous...Even by today's standards.

I'd go with 2000 as the best Dline of that era - but it's close over a few of those years. Mixon, Bowens, Gardner, JT - with Armstrong, Lorenzo Bromell, and Rich Owens coming off the bench. ( I was wrong in my earlier post, it was Owens not Ogunleye coming off the bench.)

73 DL, Still can’t Believe Fernandez isn’t in the HOF with His Quickness and the Fact he Had Limited Eyesight , Man was a Beast.

Back
Top Bottom