Fins interested in Jerry Sullivan as WR coach ("Who?" you ask? Check it out!) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins interested in Jerry Sullivan as WR coach ("Who?" you ask? Check it out!)

DrAstroZoom

Bon vivant
Reaction score
Per the Miami Herald, the Dolphins are interested in hiring former Arizona offensive coordinator Jerry Sullivan as wide receivers coach. Sullivan's pupils have included David Boston and Anquan Boldin.

When a guy can get a rookie like Anquan Boldin ready to catch for 1300+ yards in his rookie season, without Boldin having like all the natural tools of a Randy Moss, that says somethin. He did good with David Boston too.

You know, it's kind of funny to think about how mad a lot of us are that the Dolphins didn't draft Anquan Boldin, because you know what? He probably wouldn't have had near the season with the Dolphins that he did with the Cardinals. With our offensive decisions and philosophy, he probably would have been stuck behind receivers he is probably better than (ie, everyone on the Dolphins except perhaps Chambers).

Armando Salguero reported that Sullivan is considered an excellent position coach.

He's not a bad candidate at all. This guy spent several years on the Bobby Ross's staff. He coached with Ross at San Diego and Detroit.

In San Diego, he is credited a lot with the development of Tony Martin and Shawn Jefferson. He moved on to Detroit where his receiving corps consisted of Herman Moore, Johnnie Morton, and Germane Crowell.

Bill Parcells wanted to hire him last year, but he decided to stay in Arizona.

Another candidate is Ivan Fears, who coached with Wannstedt in Chicago and is currently the RBs coach in New England.

Based on Dave's tendency to hire assistants that he has a history with, it would seem Fears and Alexander would have inside tracks.
With Fears though, the Pats may not let him go, since going from their RB coach to our WR coach would be a lateral move. Unless his contract expires this offseason.

I'm curious to see who Dave will hire as the quarterbacks coach.

It would be an ideal position for Don Strock if he would decide to leave the Florida Atlantic program behind. That's highly unlikely.

I wonder how much influence Norv will have on this. Do they get someone who has experience in Norv's offense, or do they go with someone from a different offensive philosophy in attempt to bring new ideas to the mix?

If Ron Turner had been fired at Illinois, I would have put money on him being the next QB coach.

Rich Olson could be a possibility. I doubt the 49ers would let Ted Tollner go to Miami. I saw where Chuck Long's name was mentioned, but I highly doubt that he would consider going from being an OC at Oklahoma to QBs coach in the pros.

Back
Top Bottom