Fins offer Rowe an extension | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins offer Rowe an extension

Travis Wingfield posted, on twitter, a bunch of stats on Rowe since his move to safety. Very impressive. I can understand why Miami may want to extend him. Rowe also stated how much he likes playing in Miami.

Last edited:
I wish it was possible to turn off loyalty to a team.

When I first saw football on TV (1970) as a 10 year old kid, I was attracted to the successful Dolphins. Even though I'm 50 miles north of Philly, I didn't know of ANY grown-up NFL fans; there was no one to steer me into being an Eagles or Steelers fan. When my friends and I would toss around a football in a field, we'd pretend to be Griese, Csonka, Morris, etc. and have a blast. That's how it all started, and now, decades later, I can't begin to imagine how anyone could like any team other than the Dolphins... it makes no sense to me!

That said, I'm loyal to the team... not individual players (with a few exceptions such as Shula, Marino, Zach Thomas, etc.). For example: Many fans loved first round pick Mike Pouncey. I hated him, and was glad to see the best friend of Aaron Hernandez go! Many fans loved Landry. IMO, he was an immature little diva with a "look at me" attitude who was penalized often because he couldn't control his emotions. He should have had even more penalties due to his always taunting defenders by spinning the ball in front of them. I'm glad he's gone too! Many fans loved his production. They saw his record-setting number of catches. I saw his record-setting number of catches combined with a nowhere near record-setting number of yards, which means that running the offense through him was nothing but dink-and-dunk and mostly unsuccessful. Throwing the ball (short) that many times to Landry was a detriment to the success of the team; they should have been throwing deep to Stills while also establishing a strong running game.

And now, I'm glad that someone finally decided to throw out the garbage accumulated by Philbin, Gase, and Tannenbaum and start over by rebuilding. And, Rowe, while not being a superstar, seems to be better than some of the nobodies that came before him. Is he (and a few others playing right now) going to be part of the future of this team? Who knows... but he's okay for now, and that's a start. You can't rebuild a team with ALL future Pro-Bowlers... you also need a bunch of decent, hard-working players like Rowe!

Alright. This is just a bad decision. No defending this one.
Without knowing the contract details, isn't that kind of a "blanket" statement?

I mean really, do you expect the team to come up with 53 new players in one offseason?

He's not a top player, but he's versatile, and he knows the system. We are going to need some depth players, and he is better than most of our secondary guys.

Travis Wingfield posted, on twitter, a bunch of stats on Rowe since his move to safety. Very impressive. I can understand why Miami may want to extend him. Rowe also stated how much he like it playing in Miami.
I'll have to look that up and I hope he's right. Otherwise, this just strikes me as yet another JAG getting a lucrative contract in Miami after only a handful of decent (not great) performances. Are we really that hard up for mere competency that we have to overpay to retain it every time? (Don't answer that.. it's a trick question.)

I don't even care if these aren't top of the market deals - they all add up over time and they are often for players you can easily replace with Day 3 picks or other, younger RFAs poached from other teams' taxi squads.

When I first saw football on TV (1970) as a 10 year old kid, I was attracted to the successful Dolphins. Even though I'm 50 miles north of Philly, I didn't know of ANY grown-up NFL fans; there was no one to steer me into being an Eagles or Steelers fan. When my friends and I would toss around a football in a field, we'd pretend to be Griese, Csonka, Morris, etc. and have a blast. That's how it all started, and now, decades later, I can't begin to imagine how anyone could like any team other than the Dolphins... it makes no sense to me!

That said, I'm loyal to the team... not individual players (with a few exceptions such as Shula, Marino, Zach Thomas, etc.). For example: Many fans loved first round pick Mike Pouncey. I hated him, and was glad to see the best friend of Aaron Hernandez go! Many fans loved Landry. IMO, he was an immature little diva with a "look at me" attitude who was penalized often because he couldn't control his emotions. He should have had even more penalties due to his always taunting defenders by spinning the ball in front of them. I'm glad he's gone too! Many fans loved his production. They saw his record-setting number of catches. I saw his record-setting number of catches combined with a nowhere near record-setting number of yards, which means that running the offense through him was nothing but dink-and-dunk and mostly unsuccessful. Throwing the ball (short) that many times to Landry was a detriment to the success of the team; they should have been throwing deep to Stills while also establishing a strong running game.

And now, I'm glad that someone finally decided to throw out the garbage accumulated by Philbin, Gase, and Tannenbaum and start over by rebuilding. And, Rowe, while not being a superstar, seems to be better than some of the nobodies that came before him. Is he (and a few others playing right now) going to be part of the future of this team? Who knows... but he's okay for now, and that's a start. You can't rebuild a team with ALL future Pro-Bowlers... you also need a bunch of decent, hard-working players like Rowe!
Good post. I've always said that you need role players in your team. No team is going to have 53 all pros. You need some all pros if you want to win a super bowl sure but you also need role players and depth. Like I said above as long as it's not a crazy deal I'm ok with it.

Travis Wingfield posted, on twitter, a bunch of stats on Rowe since his move to safety. Very impressive. I can understand why Miami may want to extend him. Rowe also stated how much he like it playing in Miami.

Worst defense in the league. Other teams score at will throw the air, on the ground. There are no impressive players on the defense, let alone very impressive. How’s the mvp Biegel doing the last couple weeks, sample size a little bit bigger now?

I'll have to look that up and I hope he's right. Otherwise, this just strikes me as yet another JAG getting a lucrative contract in Miami after only a handful of decent (not great) performances. Are we really that hard up for mere competency that we have to overpay to retain it every time? (Don't answer that.. it's a trick question.)

I don't even care if these aren't top of the market deals - they all add up over time and they are often for players you can easily replace with Day 3 picks or other, younger RFAs poached from other teams' taxi squads.
I can see your point to a certain extent, but not in this case.

Day 3 DBs are, typically, not ready to step in and play immediately. You also have to bear in mind that this scheme often puts 6 DBs on the field.

Even if Rowe is not a "starting" corner, he has shown up better at safety than others we have tried.

Everyone must play at all pro level and take league minimum salary. That's the only way extensions and free agent signings will be good.

Where is this lucrative contract? Do you have numbers or are you just assuming to make a point that night not even exist? Sheese.. the lengths some people will go to poopoo a move before it's even happened.

Back
Top Bottom