First impressions of Miami Dolphins defense straight from rookie mouths | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First impressions of Miami Dolphins defense straight from rookie mouths

This article has me thinking about our team building strategy. It's no secret that we want an aggressive attacking defense. We have Wake and we drafted Harris. We also fortified our LB'r corps to strengthen our front 7. Conversely, the Jets drafted safeties in round 1 and 2. They also took a couple of CB's in round 6. Obviously they are trying to strengthen the backend of their defense. I understand that our run defense needed shoring up and the Jets pass defense needed the same. What I wonder about is what is the best way to stop the Patriots? Isn't Brady's strategy to get the ball out quick and let his quick WR's get YAC? Is it possible with the Jets stout defensive line they are going to play a 4-2-5 this year? I am curious that with our pass happy league if that is the way to go. Are we a step behind with our defensive strategy? Not making this about the wide 9, but I wonder if we should be playing the 4-2-5 also and if so, do we have the personnel to play that on a regular basis.

I for one like our defense. Quality starters and depth. Nickel is still the weakspot though

I for one like our defense. Quality starters and depth. Nickel is still the weakspot though
Yes, and it is an area that needs to be addressed, but I doubt we do much more before camp cuts...

Don't be surprised if you see McCain, Jones, Pitts and others competing for that spot early in camp. This draft had some really solid nickel defenders in rounds 3-5 that we could have grabbed...While Tankersly has the size we like in a boundary player, not sure any of the 4 (Howard, Tankersley, Maxwell, or Lippitt) have the quickness to move inside.

Yes, and it is an area that needs to be addressed, but I doubt we do much more before camp cuts...

Don't be surprised if you see McCain, Jones, Pitts and others competing for that spot early in camp. This draft had some really solid nickel defenders in rounds 3-5 that we could have grabbed...While Tankersly has the size we like in a boundary player, not sure any of the 4 (Howard, Tankersley, Maxwell, or Lippitt) have the quickness to move inside.

Maxwell played some slot last year and Howard use to shadow in college. They both have the ability to play slot, probably better than any of our other options at the moment. I expect Howard to slide inside on sub packages and Tank to play on the outside, even as a rookie. We had an incredible draft.

Howard's too valuable as a boundary corner IMO.

I think he has serious star potential.

They will give him a look if no one else steps up, Grier even mentioned it in his post draft press conference. Perhaps not every week, but there's some bigger slot WR's in this league like JMatt who Howard would match up with quite nicely. It's a match-up business imo, and at least we have some quality options.

Raekwon McMillan’s take?

“We get after it,” he said. “Everyday, we come to work. I can’t really speak for the other position groups, but in the linebacker room, some of the leaders we have — Kiko (Alonso), LT (Timmons), we’ve got some leaders how get after it everyday in practice and work pretty hard.”

McMillan admitted absorbing an NFL playbook will take some time.

See whole story here, includes other draft picks:

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...dolphins-defense-straight-from-rookie-mouths/

I think this time is more important than many people think. If McMillan is going to become the QB of our defense, he has a lot to learn, and the best learning time is always before the season starts. After the season starts, gameplanning for a specific opponent takes over and there simply isn't enough time to do a lot of teaching and it really limits a young player's ability to absorb this information. Just being there signed and focused is important. Engaging the veterans early helps a lot, because many players say they learn more from their teammates than they learn from their coaches (all across the NFL we hear this).

Having a mentor really helps. I'm hoping that Timmons can be that mentor for McMillan ... but in reality their competition for the same job may hinder that. IMHO, this is where collecting alphas benefits us. Because guys that are alphas are not likely to keep knowledge to themselves. They are much more likely to call out poor performers, tell rookies what to do and how to do it, and do so without their primary motivation being fear of losing their own job.

Which leads me to how important this time is for Tankersley. Maxwell has taken over leadership of this CB room. He is the mentor to Howard and Lippett. His Clemson connection and the fact that Maxwell is Tankersley's hero probably means that Maxwell continues to teach our room full of young, talented CB's. While they all still have a great deal to learn, none of the others has nearly as much to learn as Tank does. He has not yet learned how to defend space, and needs a lot of time with the concepts and a lot of reps to build the muscle memory. He has a long ways to go before it becomes instinctual for him, so let's get that process started.

Harris, well it seems well documented that he is going to learn as much as he can from Cam Wake, and none of our young ones has a better teacher. Cam is our vocal leader and our leader by example. He does everything right and he is a bastion of good decisions. His athletics are still phenomenal, his technique is unbelievably good, his work ethic is exemplary, his citizenship is absolute. To no one's surprise, Cam has stepped up and actively started mentoring Harris ... because Cam is all class. This looks to be starting very well.

Gase is collecting young players who want to learn and veterans who are willing and able to teach. This looks like a recipe for future success.

They will give him a look if no one else steps up, Grier even mentioned it in his post draft press conference. Perhaps not every week, but there's some bigger slot WR's in this league like JMatt who Howard would match up with quite nicely. It's a match-up business imo, and at least we have some quality options.

Oh ya I totally agree that man is capable of matching up in the slot.

Like you said, they won't be doing it every week but for bigger slot guys it would make much sense.

Yes, think about where we were last year lol

Now we have 4 legit boundary corners, our Superstar safety back, and options at FS.

It was a mess to watch the Steelers take us out in that fashion.

People (Steelers fans) forget Maxwell (who shut down AB first time), basically all of our starting lbers, both safeties, Pouncey, and of yea Matt Moore was our starting QB lol

Have you guys lost all faith in McCain? I thought he progressed and can be a pretty good slot corner.

He needs to settle in and I think he'll be more relaxed with actual help behind him.

Back
Top Bottom