First impressions of Miami Dolphins defense straight from rookie mouths | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First impressions of Miami Dolphins defense straight from rookie mouths

Oh ya I totally agree that man is capable of matching up in the slot.

Like you said, they won't be doing it every week but for bigger slot guys it would make much sense.

Yes, think about where we were last year lol

Now we have 4 legit boundary corners, our Superstar safety back, and options at FS.

It was a mess to watch the Steelers take us out in that fashion.

People (Steelers fans) forget Maxwell (who shut down AB first time), basically all of our starting lbers, both safeties, Pouncey, and of yea Matt Moore was our starting QB lol

Have you guys lost all faith in McCain? I thought he progressed and can be a pretty good slot corner.

He needs to settle in and I think he'll be more relaxed with actual help behind him.

I hope so, but his instincts seem to be lacking a little bit, he's no honeybadger for example but who is. This is a big year for McCain, if he can win the slot job that would be huge for our defense. But I have a feeling Howard, Max, and Tank will be getting a majority of the reps at CB this year. They are our 3 best options imo so we should try and find ways (more zone D perhaps?) to put them all on the field at the same time.

Not sure what I think about Tank. Hopefully he works out

I hope so, but his instincts seem to be lacking a little bit, he's no honeybadger for example but who is. This is a big year for McCain, if he can win the slot job that would be huge for our defense. But I have a feeling Howard, Max, and Tank will be getting a majority of the reps at CB this year. They are our 3 best options imo so we should try and find ways (more zone D perhaps?) to put them all on the field at the same time.

I agree with that fair and honest assessment. Yes, this year we need to change things up like Burke said the other day when it comes to personnel groupings. What we've been doing hasn't been working, FO...lol
You're totally right about McCain. Its make or break for him this year. He has no excuses with the talent we've assembled around him. IDK about you guys but I think we have an extremely talented young roster with a nice mixture of veteran presence. Im super excited!!

I think this time is more important than many people think. If McMillan is going to become the QB of our defense, he has a lot to learn, and the best learning time is always before the season starts. After the season starts, gameplanning for a specific opponent takes over and there simply isn't enough time to do a lot of teaching and it really limits a young player's ability to absorb this information. Just being there signed and focused is important. Engaging the veterans early helps a lot, because many players say they learn more from their teammates than they learn from their coaches (all across the NFL we hear this).

Having a mentor really helps. I'm hoping that Timmons can be that mentor for McMillan ... but in reality their competition for the same job may hinder that. IMHO, this is where collecting alphas benefits us. Because guys that are alphas are not likely to keep knowledge to themselves. They are much more likely to call out poor performers, tell rookies what to do and how to do it, and do so without their primary motivation being fear of losing their own job.

Which leads me to how important this time is for Tankersley. Maxwell has taken over leadership of this CB room. He is the mentor to Howard and Lippett. His Clemson connection and the fact that Maxwell is Tankersley's hero probably means that Maxwell continues to teach our room full of young, talented CB's. While they all still have a great deal to learn, none of the others has nearly as much to learn as Tank does. He has not yet learned how to defend space, and needs a lot of time with the concepts and a lot of reps to build the muscle memory. He has a long ways to go before it becomes instinctual for him, so let's get that process started.

Harris, well it seems well documented that he is going to learn as much as he can from Cam Wake, and none of our young ones has a better teacher. Cam is our vocal leader and our leader by example. He does everything right and he is a bastion of good decisions. His athletics are still phenomenal, his technique is unbelievably good, his work ethic is exemplary, his citizenship is absolute. To no one's surprise, Cam has stepped up and actively started mentoring Harris ... because Cam is all class. This looks to be starting very well.

Gase is collecting young players who want to learn and veterans who are willing and able to teach. This looks like a recipe for future success.

I know you've been around here a while, but recently, it's been a pleasure to see your opinion on things. Looking forward to seeing more man. Fins up!!!

This article has me thinking about our team building strategy. It's no secret that we want an aggressive attacking defense. We have Wake and we drafted Harris. We also fortified our LB'r corps to strengthen our front 7. Conversely, the Jets drafted safeties in round 1 and 2. They also took a couple of CB's in round 6. Obviously they are trying to strengthen the backend of their defense. I understand that our run defense needed shoring up and the Jets pass defense needed the same. What I wonder about is what is the best way to stop the Patriots? Isn't Brady's strategy to get the ball out quick and let his quick WR's get YAC? Is it possible with the Jets stout defensive line they are going to play a 4-2-5 this year? I am curious that with our pass happy league if that is the way to go. Are we a step behind with our defensive strategy? Not making this about the wide 9, but I wonder if we should be playing the 4-2-5 also and if so, do we have the personnel to play that on a regular basis.
It's a great question. I've been wondering the same thing for quite some time. Lots of good safeties coming through the pike at the college level and it seems fielding three with two linebackers might be the way to go.

While I like what Miami has done to improve the defense, I still think the Dolphins have problems in the slot which concerns me because this is where New England is so good. I do think Miami will match up better in stopping the run.

I guess the team is still a work in progress and I'm anxious to see what changes Burke makes, even if they are subtle, and how that helps the defense overall.

Yes, and it is an area that needs to be addressed, but I doubt we do much more before camp cuts...

Don't be surprised if you see McCain, Jones, Pitts and others competing for that spot early in camp. This draft had some really solid nickel defenders in rounds 3-5 that we could have grabbed...While Tankersly has the size we like in a boundary player, not sure any of the 4 (Howard, Tankersley, Maxwell, or Lippitt) have the quickness to move inside.

You're exactly right. They don't. I could see Howard being effective, but it's a waste of a boundary corner.

To your point, Digital, a lot of teams make the mistake of building with young players and forget the importance of having veterans to learn from.

Miami sure appears to be doing it right under the leadership of Adam Gase. Speaks volumes for him as a coach that he's not afraid of alpha players. Some coaches have a problem with that.

We are still one DT short IMHO. I'm not counting on either rookie. I'd feel much better picking up a cap casualty late that's an upgrade over Phillips.

Actually Raekwon McMillan's likely mentor is a player now in his 8th year as a Miami Dolphin, who loves this team and is a proven excellent teammate in the locker room. I bet it's Koa Misi.

Mods, please combine this threat to earlier one

Considering the slot receivers and TE's we will face this year, I don't see anyone manning that spot (slot corner) as a waste. Obviously, it's going to vary with each match-up but just to start the year....

Gronk, Edelman, Cooks x 2
OJ Howard, DeSean Jackson
Travis Benjamin, Antonio Gates
Eric Decker x 2

I know you've been around here a while, but recently, it's been a pleasure to see your opinion on things. Looking forward to seeing more man. Fins up!!!
Thanks man! Glad to have a robust and informative conversation about our beloved Dolphins.

We are still one DT short IMHO. I'm not counting on either rookie. I'd feel much better picking up a cap casualty late that's an upgrade over Phillips.
Some interesting players still out there. Dan Williams comes to mind, along with Jared Odrick. I think the team will sign a veteran there.

Not really sure I'd call what we have on defense depth...more like bodies. I don't really like our slot CB options, I certainly don't like the safety depth behind Jones. I don't count much on rookies to make an impact year one...there's a lot to learn not just the playbook. It took Soliai 3 years to learn the DT position and he was a 4th round pick...can't see us counting on a 6th and 7th round pick to pick it up year one. Don't expect much from Tank and I'm not really sure how much Harris will play with Wake, Branch, and Hayes already in the mix...Warmsley, Fede and others may also be in the mix if we keep 5 DEs like last year. Bodies we have...depth is TBD.

We thought we had depth on the offensive line last year and that included Billy Turner and Dallas Thomas...again, not what I call depth...just bodies.

Back
Top Bottom