First in a series: Dolphins doing work for 2020 free agency (offensive line edition) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First in a series: Dolphins doing work for 2020 free agency (offensive line edition)

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
1569400138833.png

This is the first of a series of columns on 2020 NFL free agency that will look into the Miami Dolphins’ situation as it will stand next March when the new league year will make available unrestricted veterans for whom Dolphins general manager Chris Grier has promised to be “very aggressive.”

The Miami Dolphins are going to build primarily through the draft the next couple of years and the top priority in that undertaking is finding an elite franchise quarterback, which is the reason general manager Chris Grier has been on the road the last two weekends.

Grier spent each of the last two Saturdays getting back to his scouting roots by attending college football games and focusing on quarterbacks, per league sources. He used owner Stephen Ross’s private jet to get him from those Saturday college games back to Miami for the game against New England on Sept. 15 and to Dallas prior to the Dolphins playing the Cowboys last Sunday.

And by the time this football season is over, Grier intends to see every top college quarterback on the Dolphins radar play in person.

And by the time this football season is over, Grier intends to see every top college quarterback on the Dolphins radar play in person.

I hope the guy in the draft forum that believes Grier attending one of Justin Herbert's games recently was a clear cut sign that he isn't sold on Tua Tagovailoa doesn't read this!

It's called due diligence.

It will be interesting to see what we do with our pick. Ross made a few comments about really liking Herbert. He also made comments about really liking Lamar Jackson and he watched him win a playoff game as a rookie and absolutely thrash us at our home opener this year. Ross has historically stayed out of things, but you never know if he might make a push for a specific guy after the brutal season we are sure to have.

For those of us not willing to pay the Miami Herald to read their online sports, could someone please summarize the OL prospects given in the article?

Does anyone think he is doing this as a smoke screen to trade out of the top pick for more picks? I mean he did give up a 2nd for rosen. Why trade the pick if he intended to take a qb in the draft all along?

Exactly..The OL should be a good mixture of both starters and back ups. If they can nail that then it frees them up to draft playmakers in the Top 50.
Get the premium positions in the draft...quarterback, pass rusher, corner, blindside protector. Those players don't make it to free agency if they're any good. O

View attachment 26148

This is the first of a series of columns on 2020 NFL free agency that will look into the Miami Dolphins’ situation as it will stand next March when the new league year will make available unrestricted veterans for whom Dolphins general manager Chris Grier has promised to be “very aggressive.”

The Miami Dolphins are going to build primarily through the draft the next couple of years and the top priority in that undertaking is finding an elite franchise quarterback, which is the reason general manager Chris Grier has been on the road the last two weekends.

Grier spent each of the last two Saturdays getting back to his scouting roots by attending college football games and focusing on quarterbacks, per league sources. He used owner Stephen Ross’s private jet to get him from those Saturday college games back to Miami for the game against New England on Sept. 15 and to Dallas prior to the Dolphins playing the Cowboys last Sunday.

What a job, scouting QBs by private jet.. luckiest man alive... better get it done right..

Well I hope he is looking at other players on those teams that aren't QBs. Rosens first start was inspiring and I'm hoping he only gets better. I don't know why, but I believe in this kid.
Did it mention anything about the Dolphins being interested in 2020 free agent QBs?

Does anyone think he is doing this as a smoke screen to trade out of the top pick for more picks? I mean he did give up a 2nd for rosen. Why trade the pick if he intended to take a qb in the draft all along?
Great value. Good QBs are worth a premium. Trading the 42 pick (or whatever our pick was) was a bit too precious to roll the dice, but once we were able to trade down to the end of the round with NO (and pick up their 2020 second rounder in the process) he decided it was worth a look see.

And while drafting a QB in 2020 is/was always an option, too much needs/needed to play out between April, 2019 and April, 2020, in order to make any of those type of decisions.

Because a few of these guys are only Juniors in College and may stay in school.This would give us another year to evaluate Rosen with a better line.

Back
Top Bottom