First Order of Business | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First Order of Business

I don't know if it was the way he was used this year but Fasano was not the dominant blocker he was in prior years. I wanted to see more play action out of 2TE sets but I don't think we used it much. I don't think we should re-sign him either. He's about to be 34 in April.

"all games in season 2 until..." he missed the remaining 9 games. "all games in season 4 until"...he missed the remaining 8.

Pouncey has had knee issues as well as hip issues. It hasn't been just one injury. Pouncey also played all 16 games last year with that hip issue. He has missed 19 games in 7 years. James has missed 17 games in 4 years.

No matter how you want to quantify it, you can make a case that both are injury prone or high injury risks....and both could make around 10M this year.

I think you missed my point. It took two completely unrelated serious injuries to knock James out in separate seasons (meaning, he played a full season in between). Pouncey may have played all 16 games, but it most certainly wasn't healthy. And that's still a high mark for him, injury wise. That hip is on borrowed time. He simply cannot be counted on week in and week out to stay healthy, and that was my point. You can't say the same about James. If you had to place a bet on who would be most likely to end up missing a game due to injury next year, it would really be a difficult bet for you? A guy who has had lingering issues for years versus a guy that takes serious injuries to sideline? You legitimately believe the two are equally injury prone or or even close to it?

And the $10M this year statement. You guys are really hung up on something he's not going to get. It's weird. But this place gets overly hung up on salary anyways, so it's not too surprising. He'll get a long term contract at a reasonable rate or, god forbid, he'll get cut and we'll be in need of a RT AGAIN. The latter sounds super awesome, but also super Dolphins, so I can't say I'd be surprised.

What are you basing that on? Sam Young is a good back up, but he certainly can't replace him. Jesse Davis certainly hasn't proven himself to be more than a versatile backup in training. Seems like you set your expectations too high based on his draft position (which was a reach, I'll grant you that), because his play has been average to above average and certainly not worth creating ANOTHER hole on the o-line that will need to be addressed.

Sign him to a reasonable long term deal and focus on higher priorities.

I'm willing to bet Jesse Davis would be a better option at RT than James.

I'm willing to bet Jesse Davis would be a better option at RT than James.

Davis has been decent, but still a little early to say that. What sounds better to me is keeping James and putting Davis at RG and backup RT. A solid young line with depth. But again, we're talking about the Dolphins, so I could totally see them letting James walk and moving Davis over, leaving us in need of an OG and depth.

To me, the ideal plan is resign James to a reasonable contract (probably $5-6M/year based on where he stacks up against other RTs) and draft Will Hernandez in the 2nd (though he may have played himself out of reach in the Senior Bowl). He, Larson, Asiata, and Davis vying for the OG spots and leaving us with good, versatile depth for once (I also like Eric Smith as a backup OT).

Or we need to address yet another offensive line position unnecessarily this offseason. Sweet.

Paying James more than 9mill would be just another dumb move by our FO. He's not even that good to start with and he's been in the NFL for 4 years and has missed half the season twice already. If he wants to be back it needs to be for a low deal or else, we can roll with Smith/Davis/Sternup

Ozzy rules!!

I honestly don't understand the issue with james. he's been solid and while not worth 10M, losing him creates yet another hole in our Swiss cheese team.

Wait, do people actually believe there's a legitimate shot the team will make him the 3rd highest paid RT in the league by paying him his full salary next year? I mean, I know the FO is pretty bad, but not even these doofuses would do that.

Jinx!

I honestly don't understand the issue with james. he's been solid and while not worth 10M, losing him creates yet another hole in our Swiss cheese team.

No it doesn't because he isn't worth keeping and he is a below average RT to begin with. I'm fairly confident that Jesse Davis can do a better job at RT.

No it doesn't because he isn't worth keeping and he is a below average RT to begin with. I'm fairly confident that Jesse Davis can do a better job at RT.
maybe he can, but can you say the same about the backups? a guy who can play both tackle positions and NOT be the worst at it for 5/6M a year is better than bringing in a columbo for 2/3 m a year.

I don’t hate or love James, but we would be insane to pay him 9+ million. If he wants to come back at 3 million then cool, if not peace!

I honestly can’t defend any Dolphin olinemam being a member of the 2018 team. Tunsil due to being a High pick and having a lot of potential I guess should be safe. Jesse Davis showed a lot, and is cheap so he is safe too. Honestly after that I am all for getting rid of the rest of the line and starting over. Most of all the needs to go or take a pay cut is Pouncey. 9 million for often injured C who hasn’t been better than average in 2 years is crazy. Cut him and draft a center in the 3rd round. We would save 7 million if Pouncey was cut. If I didn’t know Gase has an unhealthy attachment to him he would be on my original cut list.

At 9.3 million James would be the second highest paid right tackle
in the Nfl. The next closest RT is
Jared Veldheer at 6.5 million

and
Bryan Bulaga at 5.8 million

and at least 3-4 young studs who are better than James at 2 million or less

That’s the best argument miamis gonna have for James market. Pretty sure the lions though signed billy Wagner to big money as a right tackle. Bulaga is a hell of a player when healthy he just hasn’t found health of late and veldheer moves from left originally signed for to right to help the team out. So his money equates more with a left tackle price point albeit this many years into the terms

I know everyone likes to jump to the draft and free agency, but it’s impossible to predict those two things till we know who resigns and is cut. It would be cool, for I told you so reasons, to predict this in order.

Guys I think will be cut:
  • J. Thomas, TE
  • Ju’Wuan James, RT
  • Lawerence Timmons, LB
Free Agents:
Restricted Free Agents

What do you think?
Heck of a sharp analysis Dajesus!

There are a precious few maybe's (Nate Allen, Alterraun Verner, Sam Young) that are closer to toss-ups in my book (but I would still come down the way you do!), but I think you nailed it bro.

Guys I think will be cut:
  • J. Thomas, TE
  • Ju’Wuan James, RT
  • Lawerence Timmons, LB
Free Agents:

Wow...really insightful to me...thanks for posting...

that's 13 players off the team including: 1 TE ... 3 OL... 3 LB... 2 CB.... 1 Safety... 1 WR and 2 QB....

So.....are we going to be able to REPLACE all of these positions with our current available cap?....Do you know what our cap dollars will be after this purge?
....The list seems to make our team, already in need of talent upgrade, a team with talent AND depth deficiency....doesn't look good to me on paper

I like Aikens - good for a blocked kick every season. I keep Jarvis too.

Back
Top Bottom